Austrian Audio HI-X55
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #121 of 238
Thank goodness the cable is interchangeable. The 3m cable is great if all you're doing is working in a studio, but my goodness is it pain everywhere else. Even then, I hate 3m cables because I roll my chair over them, damaging the cord. That said, the cable is decent. It has some spring and memory to it, but I suspect a little heat and straightening will fix that right up. It is a 2.5mm locking jack that goes into the headphones. I ordered two cables, both designed to fit the Audio Technica ATH series and Sennheiser HD500 series. Obviously haven't received them yet, but after carefully looking at pictures, I don't see why they wouldn't fit. It is important to note that the cable is finicky if its not fully locked in place. Initial listening made me think I had a pair of broken cans because it did not sound right, but I quickly realized I had not fully turned the cable. This is my first time with a b-lock cable so don't judge me...
Nice review. FYI, Sennheiser HD6 Mix replacement cables fit for Hi-X55.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W3F7NXY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #122 of 238
Nice review. FYI, Sennheiser HD6 Mix replacement cables fit for Hi-X55.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W3F7NXY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I need to order one of those...
I ordered a few cables to try them out (figured I could just return the ones that didn't work). Most of them were for the Audio-Technica ATHM-series, but had very lengths for the 2.5mm jack connector. All of the cheaper cables made by companies like NewFantasia did not work, but the coiled cable by Audio Technica did (its snug, but it works). That said, the coil is definitely on the heavier side so still not ideal for portable use. I think I'll be ordering that HD6 cable....

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #123 of 238
Seeing as how it’s been a week, I figured I’d drop an updated impression of the HI-X55 (even though no one has asked 😂)!

I’ve used these now to listen to a lot of different music. I’ve also used them for studio monitoring purposes. I standby with pretty much everything I’ve said. Very comfortable, very detailed, great sound stage. There’s a reason why so many audio professionals have written positive things about these headphones. With the detail retrieval and sound stage, I was able to really hone in on some reverb settings for my vocalists. I wouldn’t use them to mix/master an entire track/session, but if I need to pinpoint something specific - these are my go-to’s.
In terms of pleasure listening, I would probably re-emphasize that these are really going to make instrumental tracks shine. I’m listening to Shostakovich’s Gadfly Suite, some Miles Davis, etc. with these and my iFi hip DAC (high gain and XBass on) and my Sony ZX507 as a source and I’m in audio heaven. I’ll listen to the same stuff and compare with my Z7M2s or DT770s or HD6XXs (nice diverse array there) and they all bring something unique to the table, but something about the HI-X55s makes them very personally engaging. Typically, when I listen to classical music, I’m listening to it as background music while working or cleaning or, if you can believe it, in the gym. Listening with the HI-X55s makes me want to sit down and really listen to it. I love it.
These also some of the most polarizing headphones though, to my ears at least. I can have an amazing listen for classical music, but then play something by Blanco White or Twenty One Pilots or Bears Den (basically anything with vocals) and hate it. The HI-X55s are just not very kind to vocal performances - the mid peak (I think) sucks a lot of the natural tonality so vocalists way too analytical and, depending on the type of vocalist, sort of tinny. It gets better with a smoother source, but it’s not great.

All in all, would recommend for any classical fan. Would exercise caution for anyone who likes powerful vocal performance.

Also, I wouldn’t bother trying the Audio Technical ATH series cord. I ordered 3 from 3 different companies and none worked. I said previously that the coiled one made by Audio Technica worked, but upon removing it from the housing, I found that it had actually cracked it. So.... maybe stick with the Austrian Audio cable or try the previously mentioned HD6 cable?

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #124 of 238
Just pulled the trigger on these along with Ollo S4X. Wanted to try couple of studio geared HPs, and these seem to be a great starting point. Also , for this round, wanted to avoid the typical Senn/AKG/Beyer and try less known brands that are still well-made.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #125 of 238
Recent modification on headband pad. Stock pad cushion is not comfortable enough and easily get hotspot . Detached stock pad and used adhesive velcro on the Dekoni nuggets.

Attachments

• 20210114_121205.jpg
    20210114_121205.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #126 of 238
After owning the Hi-X55 For about a month now, I thought I’d share some thoughts.

As everybody has already said, these are extremely detailed headphones with a large soundstage. It’s quite remarkable what you can hear with them.

I’ve been using them primarily with the Ifi Zen stack and the Hiby R5. For some genres/songs they don’t need equalization, but for others they do sound unbalanced.

On the Ifi, equalization helps *a lot* — the AutoEq settings have changed recently (they were recalculated using the same response curve, but now for some reason sound a lot better to me): https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Austrian Audio Hi-X55/Austrian Audio Hi-X55 ParametricEQ.txt

I do find that for some songs I have to decrease the 2kHz correction in the AutoEq settings, otherwise they sound too harsh.

The headphones pair well with the R5, but using MSEB adjustments makes it even better (set negative “bass texture” to get rid of the boominess, positive “note thickness”, negative “voice”). Don’t be afraid to move the sliders quite a bit from zero.

They are extremely comfortable and have now adapted to my head, which I think is contributing to the increased enjoyment. I do worry that the earpads will get out of shape quickly because they are so soft and you can’t buy a replacement. With the cable they do sell spares and the jack is not proprietary, but I don’t think you can find aftermarket earpads with this 12-point attachment system — correct me if I am wrong.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase and happy that I took a chance on these.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #127 of 238
IMO, these are best for FPS gaming bar none with their incredible imaging/separation, and I can see the merits as a monitoring set, but they are not so pleasurable for casual listening. I can hear the directional footsteps better with these than any other open back headphones I own. They're just too harsh and fatiguing for an extended session. I do like the unique design, quality build, comfort, and the color scheme, so will keep them in my collection for sure. The pad's inner diameter is surprisingly large compared to somewhat compact overall footprint, and will easily accommodate all ear shape/size.

Overall, I am pleased as well.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #129 of 238
I ended up returning mine because of some QC issues (I might have mentioned it in this forum, I honestly can't remember), but I truly miss them. Maybe once I get some more $$, I'll replace them.

What kinda QC issues did you run into if you don'tmind me asking?

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #130 of 238
What kinda QC issues did you run into if you don'tmind me asking?

Don’t mind at all. I demoed a pair in store, no bass response below 150Hz. Bought a pair, headphone jack (on the headphone) was janky and had to be wiggled frequently, wouldn’t even work with a 1/4” adapter. Returned that pair, got another pair and that one had a loose left driver that rattled. I was super bummed out because I really liked them.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #131 of 238
Don’t mind at all. I demoed a pair in store, no bass response below 150Hz. Bought a pair, headphone jack (on the headphone) was janky and had to be wiggled frequently, wouldn’t even work with a 1/4” adapter. Returned that pair, got another pair and that one had a loose left driver that rattled. I was super bummed out because I really liked them.
That’s really bad luck. Mine have been very solid (bought from B&H Photo).

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #132 of 238

That sucks and sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're aware, the connector is a twist and lock type, and hope that wasn't the issue. Hope you found a suitable replacement.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #133 of 238
That sucks and sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're aware, the connector is a twist and lock type, and hope that wasn't the issue. Hope you found a suitable replacement.

Yep! It was just finicky.
I got all 3 from Guitar Center and the ones by me aren’t known for being the best. I think if I got it again, I’d order from Amazon or B&H.

I ended up getting the DT880 instead.

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #134 of 238
Yep! It was just finicky.
I got all 3 from Guitar Center and the ones by me aren’t known for being the best. I think if I got it again, I’d order from Amazon or B&H.

I ended up getting the DT880 instead.
I wouldn’t buy headphones from Amazon — they sell open box/used headphones as new with alarming regularity.

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #135 of 238
I wouldn’t buy headphones from Amazon — they sell open box/used headphones as new with alarming regularity.

Ah, I didn’t know that.
Amazon just capitalizes on my impatience. Where I live, a lot of headphones/IEMs can be ordered and delivered same day or next day. Whereas I feel like with B&H it’s always 7-10 days or I have to pay some ridiculous shipping fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back