Austrian Audio HI-X55
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #91 of 238
I found review page with graphs of these and others. It's partially translated so you can see the Hi-X55 is at the top and has by far the worst lumpy frequency response. Seeing a third party review and test it is useful vs. what they might officially release to look favorable. It shows me what I've heard. A big bump about 1-2 khz that is fairly wide, that's the painful midrange I'd heard. Then a big bump in the upper bass around 150 hz. Other graphs I google show similar lumps and the lower level for the subs. While extended fairly well, just not enough sub bass. Sources can matter, but these are several places testing them on several rigs and the result is muddy high bass and way too much in the true mids. These are not accurate - or even Harman friendly.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #92 of 238
1606868025083.png

Source page for that graph - https://www.0db.co.kr/FREE/1534401

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #93 of 238
I'm looking forward to testing these with my Colorfly U6 which is arriving soon, said to be a very warm dap ^_^!

I need more time with these headphones but I think they are becoming my new favorite.

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #94 of 238
I'm curious, I had been looking at the focal listen professional, sonar works review described them with a W curve, which looks a little like what's posted in the graph above. Is there a particular reason some of these companies go for this on their studio headphones? Because I do see a lot of people say it's not ideal for professional use?

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #95 of 238

That graph does not fit with what I hear... the tendency yes, but not the actual values (i.e. ca. 7dB between 150Hz and 70Hz, completely missing subbass). This "review" has a graph that shows a similar curve, but not that extreme and more believable to me (especially since it does show a hole on the bass, but also an elevated subbass):
https://www.headphonecheck.com/test/austrian-audio-hi-x55/

I'm very sensitive to midbass, and were it 10dB above all lower bass, I'd already have packed it up and sent it back :wink:

It would be quite interesting to see the FR graph of the Hi-X50 on the same measurement rig: its the same driver, but a completely different environment. My hunch is that the elevation in the mids is due to resonances in the large cups...

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #97 of 238
I'm curious, I had been looking at the focal listen professional, sonar works review described them with a W curve, which looks a little like what's posted in the graph above. Is there a particular reason some of these companies go for this on their studio headphones? Because I do see a lot of people say it's not ideal for professional use?

A gentle W is preferred to a V in delivering lows (rolled off bass is not preferable, you need to hear what is happening down there) along with extended high end to hear details, while the middle of the W lets you hear mids (as long as it's not a big bump). The response of these cans is just plain lumpy. It's not even pleasurable IMO, for my consumer use.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #99 of 238
That graph does not fit with what I hear... the tendency yes, but not the actual values (i.e. ca. 7dB between 150Hz and 70Hz, completely missing subbass). This "review" has a graph that shows a similar curve, but not that extreme and more believable to me (especially since it does show a hole on the bass, but also an elevated subbass):
https://www.headphonecheck.com/test/austrian-audio-hi-x55/

I'm very sensitive to midbass, and were it 10dB above all lower bass, I'd already have packed it up and sent it back :wink:

It would be quite interesting to see the FR graph of the Hi-X50 on the same measurement rig: its the same driver, but a completely different environment. My hunch is that the elevation in the mids is due to resonances in the large cups...

I think it is, in fact, due to the cup resonances as you say. They sound quite neutral to me - not perfectly so, but much moreso than the wonky graph would indicate.

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #100 of 238
Yeah, I also think that the frequency response does not do them justice when you compare them to the Harman Target.
I´ve seen a few producers who are saying that these are the first headphones that they can mix/produce with - after trying mosto of the other well known competitors.

I thought something was magical about their sound and am a bit sad that I sold mine - maybe I will look for another pair for christmas.

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #101 of 238
It still irritates me a bit that they sound rather lean on the AK380SS, but yes, that thing does sound a bit lean. It still stands that I could well live with a bit more bass, but playing around with EQ along the lines of this FR graphs a slight bump at 63Hz would be enough. I did not try to change other areas because I neither have a real EQ (1/3 octave) at hand nor does it bother me that much now out of the Hugo or even on an ES100.

What I remember about the AK380SS is something like 1Ohm OI, which should not give any problems with a 25Ohm headphone. And since its a single dynamic driver, there should only be one resonance frequency... it should not react too much to 1Ohm output impedance.

I never considered the Hugo warm, but I always felt it had some power in its bass presentation. This seems to fit the Hi-X55 well. I'm waiting for the shorter cable I ordered... otherwise I'm quite happy with it. Really dig its large cups, given the rather compact overall size.

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #102 of 238
Writing some comparisons among ATH-M70x, Audeze LCD-1 and Hi-X55 before my memory fades out. I don't have LCD-1 and Hi-X55 at the moment.
I'm not a professional or audiophile, playing around headphones is just a hobby so assessment might not be accurate. :) used SoundBlasterX G6 for the source.

Build

1. Hi-X55 - metal headband, pleather pads, replaceable headpads. this design reminds me of AKG K553 + K371 + Shure 1540.
2. M70x - all plastic, metal headband inside of the plastic, pleather pads
3. LCD-1 - all plastic, metal headband inside of the plastic, genuine leather pads, it makes squeaky noise when moving jaw

Comfort (I use Dekoni nuggets for all headphones, can't stand heat on the top)

1. M70x - little heavier than LCD1, sometimes ears are touching the driver, clamping force and dekoni nuggets placement (on the plastic) was perfect.
2. LCD-1 - little more clamping force than M70x, smaller ear pads. dekoni nugget placement is in between extended metal frame and the plastic parts (kinda odd)
3. Hi-X55 - pads are comfortable, but over 300g is a bit heavy for long listening session. had to take a break or keep adjusting position after couple of hours. placed the dekoni nuggets on the plastic parts on the sides

Sound Isolation

1. Hi-X55 - very strong, sometimes feel like flying on high altitude, don't feel good when take off the headphone though (feel like air sucked out from ears)
2. M70x - inside of pads are fabric, so sounds goes out from the earpads ,but blocked by the plastic earcup, feels comfortable. not as much suction/isolation as Hi-X55
3. LCD-1 - yeah, open back

Soundstage

1. Hi-X55 - instruments are further away
2. LCD-1 - feels like semi open, quite small as opened back
3. M70x - smallest, but not right on your face like M50x, I think the fabric inner pads helped the little bit bigger

High

1. Hi-X55 - very high resolution, sometimes harsh with resonant combination with strong isolation
2. M70x - high resolution, sometimes harsh, but less than Hi-x55 because of the hybrid pads (doesn't much resonant)
3. LCD-1 - relaxed high

Mid (doesn't much remember)

1. LCD-1 - forwarded mid? (probably bc it has relaxed high)
2. M70x - less energetic
3. Hi-X55 - felt some resonant combination with strong isolation

Low

1. LCD-1 - fast cleaner/tighter, more energy (it's bass light compare to other headphones like M50x, but among them i think LCD 1 got better as planar)
2. Hi-X55 - fast clean/tight, but lighter than LCD-1 (feels a bit further away), hearing double kicks clearly. sometimes feel like blanket in the bass drum
3. M70x - little more rumble, but bit slow compare to other two

there are pros and cons on these three headphones, and I like all of them, especially Hi-X55 and looking forward to get a pair when it becomes lower price on eBay.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #104 of 238
When you say you hear resonance, do you mean that particular notes ring and distort slightly, or how is resonance perceivably heard?
I didn't hear distortion, but it was ringing in my ear and get tired quickly in that frequency (especially the high). also the fatigue remains after taking off the headphone, so will probably need a break from time to time. I hope they make hybrid pads for this, it will make less isolation, but will give less fatiguing from resonance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back