Australians looking for HD650
Mar 21, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by TonyTripleA
Yeah, a Sydney chapter "meet" might be interesting. I'd love to compare cans (and get sucked in to even more purchases I'm sure).

Easter?

Maybe this deserves its own thread?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

I'd be really interested in that too! I'd love to hear other people setup and phones mixed with my. Anyone offering a venue for easter?
600smile.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #47 of 62
talking about headphone stuff in australia, do you guys (australians, sydney especiallY) find it hard to find headphone amps at shops ?
even if they do, they cost a fortune, unlike in US or UK...
anyone know where i can get a decent amp but dont have to pay an arm and a leg for that ?

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #48 of 62
Ross, thanks for the view on Meier - I figured as much from Jan's sponsorship of Head-fi... somehow I cannot imagine a sponsor lasting long here with the "experts" if both service and advice was not spot on. And I can certainly vouch for Idealsound from personal experience.

Kunwar, thanks for your suggestion on the DT880. They are in fact rising to the top of my wish list... I would LOVE to hear more about the DT860 in comparision, but not too many words appear on the search here at Head-Fi. These two cans interest me very much.

And, I just noticed that Headwise in WA has the hard to get DT531 in stock (limited). The threads here really put a lot of favourable words out on this set of cans. Value for money I have no doubt, easy to drive (maybe even my Ipod). But will I end up spending on another set of cans down the track if I don't aim high now? I guess that is the only thing holding me back.

Must hear a "good" amp, that Talisman sounds terrific, but probably just a tad on the high price side for me at this stage (never discount what's possible in the future though... this forum has taught me that).

I'm looking to hear how Silencer finds the Sen 650 cans he picks up on Monday.

As for a Sydney meet. I only have the Portapros to showcase, not much of a treat for you guys (nobody wants to put my yucky foam Ety tips in their ears believe me). Love to have a listen to Silencer's sen 650 cans though!!!

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Kunwar, thanks for your suggestion on the DT880. They are in fact rising to the top of my wish list... I would LOVE to hear more about the DT860 in comparision, but not too many words appear on the search here at Head-Fi. These two cans interest me very much.

Must hear a "good" amp, that Talisman sounds terrific, but probably just a tad on the high price side for me at this stage (never discount what's possible in the future though... this forum has taught me that).

well the price difference between the 860 and 880 is not that much.apparently the 860 are believed to be replacements for the 931
correc me if i am wrong.
as far as the talisman is concerned, i also thought that way but now i feel every cent spent on it was justified.

are you a member of Overclockers Australia.
If so you would have noticed that there is a DT 531 on sale. in apparently new condition.
the guy selling it has a good rep on the forum.

so yeah if you are go have a look
and if you can find them GET THEM!!!
they rock

i don't know whether the ipod would be sufficient to drive them.
I reckon stick with your ety's as far as the ipod is concerned.
The DT 531 leaks like a sieve.
so not recommended

Mar 21, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #50 of 62
The DT880 and 860 sound quite different to each other, much like most of Beyers models - the DT931 is definately the closest I've heard to the DT860.
The only 2 Beyers that I find sound similar are the 770 and 990 (pro or not).

BTW, anyone in WA is always welcome to come and test equipment out for as long as they want, free of charge
tongue.gif

also kunwar - you really should put some detailed Talisman observations/thoughts up, people around here tend to brush my opinions off as biased seeing as I'm a dealer
frown.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
The DT880 and 860 sound quite different to each other, much like most of Beyers models - the DT931 is definately the closest I've heard to the DT860.
The only 2 Beyers that I find sound similar are the 770 and 990 (pro or not).

BTW, anyone in WA is always welcome to come and test equipment out for as long as they want, free of charge
tongue.gif

also kunwar - you really should put some detailed Talisman observations/thoughts up, people around here tend to brush my opinions off as biased seeing as I'm a dealer
frown.gif

Hi snufkin

just hold on a little longer the review is coming and believe me you will be happy with it, cos i am just starting to find out how good this amp becomes after about 250 hours of listening.
I am now thoroughly enjoying it. I am building up a list of the songs i am using as a test base which i can then listen to again.also there are certain parts in songs where i notice things because i tend to look out for them as i am intimately familiar with that song.
a lengthy process, i can now understand how hard and time consuming it is.

will post soon, just keep a look out and if these people are not listening to you then they are missing out on the opinions of a very knowledgeable person.

I guess it is a case of telling it as it is.
Some people just tend to brush off things cos' they don't like what they read. Back at Overclockers pretty much everyone asks you for advise and i am yet to read one post of someone being disappointed by a product recommended by you.

I will try and post a short review on the mp itself in the next week or so

Mar 21, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin

mmm... you got me intrigued!
mad.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #53 of 62
HELL YES I AM KEEN FOR THESE!!!

If you can still get them, I am a definate yes.

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #54 of 62
Thanks Kunwar, decisions, decisions. And keep that review coming!

I noticed Jan Meier didn't rave about the DT860 cans in his first thoughts on them on Headwise, but seemed to warm to them on his website summary... when driven at 120 ohms. The question is, forgetting price, are the DT880s more satisfying? From what I have read I would guess a "yes" but there is so little written on the DT860s.

And Snufkin, don't think your advice doesn't carry weight here, with me it sure does. In fact every four months or so I get over to the west and I might try and drop in just to test some amps. Wish you had an outlet here in the east.

Home amps are definitely something I'd rather buy in Australia than from overseas... are you planning on stocking "portable amps"? Or even better "quality portable amps"?

Take care,

TonyAAA

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:31 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Home amps are definitely something I'd rather buy in Australia than from overseas... are you planning on stocking "portable amps"? Or even better "quality portable amps"?

As soon as I find someone local willing to make them
smily_headphones1.gif

dj_mocok: you're not going to find many (if any) products locally "at international pricing" because local resellers have to pay all costs relating to import duty and gst, plus one of the terrible truths of running a business is that at the end of the day you have to make money, selling something at negative margin doesn't really make sense
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #58 of 62
3lusive3,

Nice list. You can add www.HiFiTrader.com.au - that's where I buy stuff like Krix speakers (I have one surround set and one stereo set of Krix so you can see I like these a lot even compared to double the price B&W, Mission, Tannoy, and Monitor speakers - Boston Acustics were the only competitors to my ears and they were more than double the price, if you go to some of the best movie theatres Krix is what you'll be listening to eg Fox studios in Sydney).

Basement HiFi is very "reasonable" too but I don't know if they have a web site, no that's wrong, they are outrageously reasonable.

I notice you have Eastwood HiFi on the list as well, also a must visit and pretty good pricing... got my sub there and I'm very happy with it.

Tara cables for me too. Not too sure about your headphone extension cable??? Is it the gold plated one... I'm after a recommendation for a quality extension for my etymotics.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

that's where I buy stuff like Krix speakers (I have one surround set and one stereo set of Krix so you can see I like these a lot even compared to double the price B&W, Mission, Tannoy, and Monitor speakers

Did you get a chance to hear VAF, Equinox, Legend or Osborn?

Mar 22, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

3lusive3,

Nice list. You can add www.HiFiTrader.com.au - that's where I buy stuff like Krix speakers (I have one surround set and one stereo set of Krix so you can see I like these a lot even compared to double the price B&W, Mission, Tannoy, and Monitor speakers - Boston Acustics were the only competitors to my ears and they were more than double the price, if you go to some of the best movie theatres Krix is what you'll be listening to eg Fox studios in Sydney).

Basement HiFi is very "reasonable" too but I don't know if they have a web site, no that's wrong, they are outrageously reasonable.

I notice you have Eastwood HiFi on the list as well, also a must visit and pretty good pricing... got my sub there and I'm very happy with it.

Tara cables for me too. Not too sure about your headphone extension cable??? Is it the gold plated one... I'm after a recommendation for a quality extension for my etymotics.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Hi

I went to HiFi Trader 2 months ago to listen to the Krix speakers, which I liked very much. It's always very difficult on a shop environment. I like Australian speakers but it's very difficult to listen to them, particularly one's like VAF and Equinox that only sell direct. I have also bought from Basement Hi Fi and found them to be quite good.

My headphone extension cable is a very cheap one that I bought at Dick Smith (Gore Hill) for $5. I looked everywhere in Sydney for a good headphone extension cable and gave up, so bought a cheap one for $13 at K-Mart. It was rubbish. I then saw a 5metre one at Dick Smith Electronics which was gold plated so I thought what is there to lose since it's only $5 and bought it. I'm pretty happy with it because I can't tell the difference in sound using the headphones with and without the DSE cable. It would be nice to have a better one but I don't see the point for now.

I just noticed that Wicked Digital are now selling the new Senns. I don't know if they are in stock but if you're interested give Steve a call and you may be able to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back