Australian BantamDAC Group Buy - Sign up!
Nov 10, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #61 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dayam i've already found the bantam's replacement after this build. has anyone seen AMB's gamma 1?? wish i'd seen it before. oh well this'll be a good starting point for dac building.

Hehe, yes, I've seen this too and would like to build one too. But last I checked it was still in the prototyping stage and not publicly available. Soon, hopefully.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #63 of 138
I'm not quiet sure how ideal it is as a "starting point" as such, maybe after a few little amps, or some other DACs. It's not that it's technically harder to build as the bantam, but its a few degrees more complex, making troubleshooting a little trickier for the 'starter'. specially since its got some logic circuits controlling it, so its not just input output for a DAC chip anymore.. It's well worth the build when one gets to it though
wink.gif

The bantam is a perfect 'starting point' for DACs though
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #64 of 138
cool so another groupl buy then lol
biggrin.gif
looks amazing and you can use the usb input just for power while portable and use a PCDP or iriver or something for optical or coax input. it doesn't have a battery though so would have to rig up a USB battery pack; easy peasy though. yes its still in prototyping but a few builds have started to surface. no pricing as yet tough. apparently its easier to build than the bantam.

so are we nearing the station yet elliot??

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #65 of 138
i'm happy to be building the bantam as a warm up though. I should be just about ready for it when its ready for me
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #66 of 138
thanks for the inverted commas ruZz
o2smile.gif
makes it less condescending
tongue.gif
nah seriously though your right its not as straight forward, but it looks the bomb and is totally feature packed. now we just need a decent dap with a spdif output. ruZz you do realize I was talking about the bantam as a good starting point; not the gamma 1??

Elliot my wallet is getting scared how long do i have to restrain it?? how late do I need to stay up to pay you my man??

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #67 of 138
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to stick my head in and say hello, so everyone knows I am still alive. Sorry I havent been around on this thread much, been snowed under with uni work but I'm still in for this buy, obviously
biggrin.gif

I'm planning to build a USB powered amp with this little beastie, also, but after not really finding many DIY options, I have decided to modify an existing design, but not 100% sure how well it will work. What is this gamma 1 business? I'll be in for one of those too, probably, when it gets to group buy time
smily_headphones1.gif

Also what's this flux pen stuff? I've never used one of them (never done SMD stuff before), what do they do?

Btw, qusp, I'll reply to your PM tonight, been crazy busy, sorry!

EDIT: Seems trivial but as for LEDs, I need either green, orange or blue, I am cool with any of those colours.. Having said that, get whatever colour you want and I'll just replace it if I don't like it.. I'm sure the extra 50c won't send me broke!!

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #70 of 138
thats cool elliot; i'm sweet man
tongue.gif
you know me; champing at the bit. BTW elliot after some thought I see where it all went I thinK
confused_face_2.gif

my poor poor wallet ....curse you head-fi $600USD and counting this week!!!! and its all in pieces

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #71 of 138
Arrival???

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #73 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Mouser arrived yesterday, still waiting on beezar. Started sorting the parts already and I will say that the DAC chip has [size=xx-small]tiny[/size] pins. It'll be fun to solder
tongue.gif

sounds like i'll have to break the file out for the soldering tip
biggrin.gif
so i'm guessing you will just be waiting for the whole shebang to arrive before sending anything off?? BTW the percy order left the states on the 15th so is probably in OZ now. hopefully it clears customs quickly and will get here early to mid week.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #74 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Mouser arrived yesterday, still waiting on beezar. Started sorting the parts already and I will say that the DAC chip has [size=xx-small]tiny[/size] pins. It'll be fun to solder
tongue.gif

how tiny are we talking?? inductor tiny or original cap tiny??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back