Australian BantamDAC Group Buy - Sign up!
Nov 8, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #46 of 138
its cool thanks man its the pan 1000uf that we want foir an upgrade so put me down for that please elliot. leave the stock out. also leave the case out, i'm getting a hammond for it, will let you know what model #. so yeah that, I want 2 x gold plate mini sockets please, no USB cable, no output caps. (wow not that much left
beyersmile.png
going vampire RCA. any other upgrades known yet??
very_evil_smiley.gif

also any upgrades for the other through hole parts I would like to know about and def want the alternate IC1 and the one for IC2 if its back available. and any; (not all) caps c8-c17 if its worth it; if it is i'll find alternatives.

also need some SMD tweezers so i'll have a look at mouser. and solder. I've got plenty of cardas but i'm not sure its thin enough for SMD work?? anyone know I think its 26ga. and possibly some smooth needle nose pliers. already got 2 good sets but they both have grip (for wire not parts) not smooth. and a flux pen; again I've already got cardas flux but not a pen; do you really think its necessary?? thats it until I know what case I want elliot.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #48 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also need some SMD tweezers so i'll have a look at mouser. and solder. I've got plenty of cardas but i'm not sure its thin enough for SMD work?? anyone know I think its 26ga. and possibly some smooth needle nose pliers. already got 2 good sets but they both have grip (for wire not parts) not smooth. and a flux pen; again I've already got cardas flux but not a pen; do you really think its necessary?? thats it until I know what case I want elliot.

Tweezers - EREM series by Cooper Industries. You wont find better tweezers for SMD! (Mouser and Digi-Key stock them)

For SMD the solder I usually use is 20mil, the cardas solder is 32mil aka 22Gauge, I would not use it for SMD personally, too big.

Flux pens are the best for SMD, necessary? no, but they sure are a bliss to work with.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #49 of 138
Sorry guys but:

Is it possible to get dual headphone outs with this DAC?
Without sacrificing quality (or too much of it)?

If possible I wouldn't mind paying more for both if it can happen.

Only reason I'm posting it again is elliot might order today and I'd be kicking myself if I didn't get it (if its possible).

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #50 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys but:

Is it possible to get dual headphone outs with this DAC?
Without sacrificing quality (or too much of it)?

If possible I wouldn't mind paying more for both if it can happen.

Only reason I'm posting it again is elliot might order today and I'd be kicking myself if I didn't get it (if its possible).

if you plug two HP outs in this you wont be able to drive them properly. I though this only had a line out anyway not an amp in fact I know it doesn't so there isnt a volume control so you would be stuck on full volume. you did know that didn'y you??

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #51 of 138
Quote:

if you plug two HP outs in this you wont be able to drive them properly. I though this only had a line out anyway not an amp in fact I know it doesn't so there isnt a volume control so you would be stuck on full volume. you did know that didn'y you??

Ok, thanks for the reply. That's all good.

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #52 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tweezers - EREM series by Cooper Industries. You wont find better tweezers for SMD! (Mouser and Digi-Key stock them)

For SMD the solder I usually use is 20mil, the cardas solder is 32mil aka 22Gauge, I would not use it for SMD personally, too big.

Flux pens are the best for SMD, necessary? no, but they sure are a bliss to work with.

thanks guys yeah I thought the cardas was too big. couldn't remember the gauge and I had a look to see if it came in a smaller gauge... not. strange for such a great product. Although I used it for doing my DIYMOD and the soldering on that is on much smaller parts than is involved in this. i'll have a look at jaycar today but I bought my other needle noses there and they're great, but for good quality at jaycar i'd spend more money than from mouser.

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #53 of 138
Quote:

Ok, thanks for the reply. That's all good.

no problem; I hope you weren't planning on running HP from it?? if you had an attenuator of some sort you could do it.

edit: hang-on youve got a bantam in your sig. have you been plugging HP into it? how're your ears?? or am I missing something (everything) here and all along its been a dac/amp???

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #54 of 138
when are we doing this order?? i've got 95% of everything together. one thing though are we going to get the discounted international shipping, because one or 2 of the items I wanted will disqualify us from that. I would think that with such a large order they would either cut us a deal or we wouldn't qualify anyway. also is anyone keen on throwing in for a roll of .025 solder they only have rolls that are $37.68 and I dont need that much; i've already got plenty of great solder,just not anything that thin

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #55 of 138
Quote:

no problem; I hope you weren't planning on running HP from it?? if you had an attenuator of some sort you could do it.

edit: hang-on youve got a bantam in your sig. have you been plugging HP into it? how're your ears?? or am I missing something (everything) here and all along its been a dac/amp???

No in my sig I mean I'm going to get one.
With the line out, I can plug my headphones and speakers into it still can't i?
And I can control volume with my laptop and speakers?

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #56 of 138
Quote:

No in my sig I mean I'm going to get one.
With the line out, I can plug my headphones and speakers into it still can't i?
And I can control volume with my laptop and speakers?

i'm not sure that you can because its a line out ie. no volume control. it doesn't have an amp section so I doubt it. it really would need to be plugged into an amp and then to the speakers/cans.

EDIT actually yes you can (with linusx/foobar at least and probably windows and mac too) but you will be loosing quality by doing so, because you will be digitally attenuating the output, which isn't always a good idea. its the same principle as why you are supposed to amp a HP out at full volume, because otherwise your computer/or DAP's dac is having to attenuate the signal and doesn't always come out accurately. also i'm not sure there's enough power to drive decent cans; what are you planning on using with it?? you are much better off running the line out into an amp at full volume and using the volume control on the amp. so with your speakers if they have their own volume you are best to set the volume to full on the laptop and attenuate the signal with the volume on the speakers and I guess with the cans you might be able to reduce the volume on the laptop in itunes or whatever and live with the quality it gives you. much better to use an amp, whens your amp due?

and elliot... blue LED please?? or do they have the pretty ones that alternate through the spectrum?? very cool indeed, but not cheap

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #57 of 138
have a look at this exchange on the bantam thread regarding digital attenuation. Its pretty much how I thought it was; and consensus seems to be that if you run it at less than full volume you will have a decreased quality. It is possible to do in some OS's (MAC, linux) you can alter the volume in itunes or foobar, asio4all but digital attenuation will occur. apparently it doesn't like windows though and perhaps you will have issues if thats what you are using with no amp. Some programs will not allow you to alter the volume though. there seems to be some disagreement over SQ (as usual) when used without an amp.

hope this helps. but it is as expected with a DAC and not a DAC/AMP; ie. you need an amp
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #58 of 138
OK, I'm not feeling great tonight, and I've had my grandmother visiting from England (arrived yesterday, forgot she was coming) so haven't had much time to put the final order together. I'll get it together now and let you all know when I place it.

Also, I'll get the solder qusp suggested anyway as I'll be needing it. So if you want to throw in, ye shall receive solder.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #59 of 138
Beezar order has been placed, but I'll do Mouser tomorrow night. They should ship faster anyway, using Fedex and should still arrive by the end of this week.

EDIT - Actually, due to the time diff it's still Sunday in the US, so I'll still get the order placed Monday business hours even if I get it in by 10 tonight
tongue.gif

So, if you have anything else you want to change before I place the Mouser order, you have until 10 tonight to let me know.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #60 of 138
dayam i've already found the bantam's replacement after this build. has anyone seen AMB's gamma 1?? wish i'd seen it before. oh well this'll be a good starting point for dac building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back