Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
May 27, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,082 of 1,320
Once I get photos down I'll be posting my athm50x in excellent/ very good condition as up for sale.

Non smoker non pets. Not heavily used as I upgraded pretty quickly to other gear (hd800 and focal spirit pros). Also just bought the x2 so one has to go. Perhaps about 50 hours use in total, if that.

It's the blue/brown limited edition colour. Bought from turramurra music.

$140 + shipping. I'm in Sydney. Mascot/central station.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #1,083 of 1,320
some self promotion

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/headphones/auction-1096061454.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/headphones/auction-1096054186.htm

Cheers

edit: my lcd 3 just died, keeping the hd 800

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,084 of 1,320
Got a alo pan am, geek pulse and audio technica ath-msr7s up for sale if anyone's interested. In brisbane.

Also anyone know any stores in Brisbane I can go and try out stuff at? From Sydney so I've got no idea what there is around the area.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,085 of 1,320
Anyone in Sydney want a KGSSHV...?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KGSSHV-Amplifier-for-Stax-Electrostat-Earspeakers-/172228473338?hash=item28199df1fa:g:NWUAAOSwzJ5XUP-B

John is a great builder.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,088 of 1,320
Can anyone recommend me a place where I can get 4-pin XLR extension cable cheaply ?

Just need something functional, somewhere between 3m to 5m/10m so I can lay on my couch while listening to anything that takes me to my favorite place - the audio nirvana 
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,089 of 1,320
  Can anyone recommend me a place where I can get 4-pin XLR extension cable cheaply ?

Just need something functional, somewhere between 3m to 5m/10m so I can lay on my couch while listening to anything that takes me to my favorite place - the audio nirvana 
biggrin.gif

We are able to help. Send us an email or PM with your specs. 

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 9, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,091 of 1,320
Will you stop listening to Astrostar59...  please....

Sum-R is NOT Chinese. Try Canadian.
I have used Sum-R transformers in some builds, and have had NO problems whatsoever. Some have had problems with transformers for the BHSE and DIYT2, others have not.

Please, disregard this nonsense about high quality wiring loom. Each builder wires up their build differently due to different module orientation.
Most, that I know of use military grade teflon coated silver coated copper wire. It does not get much better than this.
Resistors are usually Xicon unless you want others which get ridiculously expensive like the Vishay Naked Foil.

Astrostar knows NOTHING about John's builds, except, perhaps, seeing some photos John posted on another forum.
I am not aware that Astrostar59 specifically singled out John's build on ebay as being substandard.
My reading of his post is that there COULD be some around that are, and you need to be vigilant that they may exist.
The fact that my post is based on personal evidence and was in response to Astrostar59's misguided post should have set that record straight.

On top of all this, in spite of Astrostar's misunderstandings, you seem to exaggerate the situation by misunderstanding what Astrostar says and then not only take it out of context, but blow it out of all proportion.
It's no wonder the Stax thread is such a train wreck at the moment.
At least Astrostar59, to his credit, has deleted his post contents even though they are still enshrined by your quotes and misapprehensions of what he has posted.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #1,092 of 1,320

Resistors are usually Xicon unless you want others which get ridiculously expensive like the Vishay Naked Foil.

You know it's a solid build when the worst things about it are the resistors. 
rolleyes.gif

We all dream of 140+ micron copper PC boards made by Lintek, R-Core transformers made by Kitamura Kiden, and an RK50 pot by Alps. Where does the madness end though? How about Vishay naked foils for the amplifier sections and working standard grade Evanohm PWW resistors for the power supply?
You know what? An LT1021 is too noisy, we should rework the power supply to use an array of LTZ1000 voltage references, power supplies in our amps? please, we're going full metrology grade voltage standards thank you very much.
Naturally, we'd like a custom unibody chassis machined on a million dollar 5-axis Yasda machining center.
Custom wiring looms? Puh-lease the big boys roll with rigid coax, WAIT NO, it might be better to use triax with driven guard screens instead, whew.

You have to draw the line somewhere, and from what I can see on the eBay listing, it looks to be a great DIY effort at a very reasonable price considering the weak AUD and insane eBay/PayPal fees. The cherry on top is that with terminal blocks ahoy, it's very serviceable and upgradeable should one descend into madness. Even the wiring is done well, sure it ain't pretty like an old ShibaSoku audio analyser but then again nothing is... 
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,093 of 1,320
On a random note, do you guys think we can recommend headphones to someone based on their instrument preference? 

I know it's a long shot, and while this involves wayy too much generalization regarding the instrument's sound sig, so far I find this to be quite accurate.

Example:

Myself - I play guitar, and my (electric) guitar preferences are Fender Strats (with hot pickups) and Teles. I prefer HD800 over Audezes.
My sister plays Gibson Les Paul, and prefers Audezes over HD800

A friend of mine plays Strats and also prefer HD800/T1 over Audezes

While it may come across as obvious, it would appear that there is a direct correlation between preference of instrument sound sig and preference of audiophile gear sound sig.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,094 of 1,320
  On a random note, do you guys think we can recommend headphones to someone based on their instrument preference? 

I know it's a long shot, and while this involves wayy too much generalization regarding the instrument's sound sig, so far I find this to be quite accurate.

Example:

Myself - I play guitar, and my (electric) guitar preferences are Fender Strats (with hot pickups) and Teles. I prefer HD800 over Audezes.
My sister plays Gibson Les Paul, and prefers Audezes over HD800

A friend of mine plays Strats and also prefer HD800/T1 over Audezes

While it may come across as obvious, it would appear that there is a direct correlation between preference of instrument sound sig and preference of audiophile gear sound sig.

HAHA
If is funny you say this.  I play and prefer my Les Paul to single coil options and too prefer the early Audeze's (Pre-Fazor).

I wonder if someone who plays p90's 's likes grado's :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back