AUSDOM M05 With APT-X WorldWide Review ------Reviewers Wanted !
Dec 23, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #166 of 220
  I've finally gotten around to opening the pair Ausdom sent me (more recently than everyone else) and have been reading through the comments. Maybe because I started by listening to The Arcs over BT the bass didn't bother me. 

IIRC leather and pleather on pads tend to emphasise the bass more and felt and the like would lower it. Might be worth trying a bit of felt or the like inside the pads (no need to remove them) and see if that changes things in a good way.

Thanks that's got to be worth a try 

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #167 of 220
so great these reviews, all suggestions will be collected. 

I am so glad that you guys takes so much time to review, to check,to discuss AUSDOM products. 

You know as new on head-fi, I am not confident enough as others. 

Thanks for all of you. PM for any Questions.

Love you all :darthsmile:  

Part of the fun in the hobby; especially on Headfi is to take things apart and see if improvements can be made!!! What is really surprising is on something like an hd800 which costs somewhere in the region of £1,000 or so, Headfiers have still dismantled and modded. Scary.

Seriously though, with the M05, just minor tweaking could well bring excellent results and they will be the one to buy at that price. The Bluetooth connection is one of the best I've tried and build is great. Just a tweak on the sound and it's there.

It almost looks as simple as a pad change as well. Something that might cut exterior noise a bit more and give slightly less at 160 Hz. (Or thereabouts) I love seeing the graphs after I've heard a headphone. That way, your eyes don't dictate what your ears should hear and then the picture confirms what you are hearing. Brooko's frequency response graph really shows what's going on and where they could be adjusted which is really handy.

I think putting anything new out on Headfi can be quite scary!!!

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #168 of 220
Review finished - needs final photos done and a final edit.  Should be up tomorrow afternoon NZ time.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #169 of 220
Ausdom M05 review posted - a really good headphone after EQ.  I'm still using it.  Grace - you have a winner on your hands if you can adjust the bass a bit for version 2!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ausdom-m05-bluetooth-4-0-over-ear-headphones/reviews/14854

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #170 of 220
That's a brilliant review Brooko. I totally agree about that bass and fed back to Ausdom, the very same thing. I didn't realise just how much it was bleeding up into the mids though so I tried your EQ settings. It makes the M05 really shine as a Bluetooth headphone, especially at that price.

I wonder whether better damping might help? Looking inside the cup on your photo shows a lack of damping and perhaps why there is a lot of 'hang on' showing in the bass area. I presume that the board wasn't even covered and wondered whether the difference between the two cups might also cause indistinct imaging if one has an electronic board in it and the other doesn't.

Just a felt layer? I was also thinking about a 'false' board in the other cup with felt so at least they match.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #171 of 220
  Ausdom M05 review posted - a really good headphone after EQ.  I'm still using it.  Grace - you have a winner on your hands if you can adjust the bass a bit for version 2!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ausdom-m05-bluetooth-4-0-over-ear-headphones/reviews/14854

I haven't had any of the sound issues cited in this review. I've had some different ones, and I've found the M05 very sensitive to source (same was true with the Havit I8). Out of my Note 2, these sounded bad, muddy and dark as described, they also sounded a bit off from my Dell Vostro (Cirrus Logic DAC)  but when I ran these using a dedicated Bluetooth transmitter (Aukey BT-C1 and Avantree BTTC200X) feeding sound from my DX50 or LH Labs Pulse X-Infinity the sound was clear and very dynamic with no bass bleed problems. I think I've listened to Roger Waters - Amused to Death five times on these (love that album). I've got my notes all done, including comparisons of issues with different Bluetooth transmitters and a comparison with the Meelectronics Matrix 2 (which Ausdom is the OEM for) and my review should be up in the not too distant future. I think these aren't just good Bluetooth headphones, they are good headphones, but you need a good transmitter. The best transmitter I tried was the Avantree BTTC200X (also known as the Saturn) with a Monoprice 3.5mm cable. I think the Aukey falls down because of its thin included cable, but it's a generally capable transmitter with good not great sound, it is noisy with some static and a raised noise floor. I may try the iPhone 5s later today (sister in law in town and she has one, but probably doesn't have any music I know).

I'm not sure how the Bluetooth technology works, but I played sound all the way from 16/44 to 24/96 to DSD128 and they all sounded good. I generally liked the sound of these better in Bluetooth mode.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #172 of 220
I did listening tests volume matched between wired and wireless (Bluetooth) out of a variety of sources - no discernible difference to SQ which is a good thing.

And the graphs don't lie - far too much bass. Also confirmed by Nick and Ian. Maybe you got a unit with a difference, or maybe you just like the signature. That's ok too :)

Oh - and they were bassy out of an iPhone 5S (Bluetooth), but also out of (wired) an iFi iDSD Micro, Fiio X1,X3ii, X5, X5ii, and L5 Pro. So I don't think it is source related at all.

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #173 of 220
I don't think batch variation is too much of an issue. My M05 Bluetooth distance wasn't as good as the ANC7, but after chatting with Grace, she asked the engineers about it. They said that it was exactly the same system so my M05 might have been less sensitive for some reason than the others, but it wasn't an issue with anyone else so mine had a slight sensitivity issue. However, as far as sound goes, they seem pretty consistent. The ANC7 and M05 are definitely from the same 'family' as far as sound goes, although the ANC7 may be adjusted before release, I think.

The thing about high res files being sent through and sounding different might not be that noticeable since Bluetooth compresses the file, whatever it is before sending to the receiver which then uncompresses it again at the headphone end. So I imagine that the quality of the sending device is perhaps more important since the headphone can't change the way that it decodes. The coding and decoding produces latency so that's where the sending device needs to be aptx compatible as well. Therefore, I think glassmonkey, you are right, the source unit sending the sound is quite important. With a wired connection, there is no compression and you know, I thought mine sounded differently slightly when wired up. I felt that it was a bit sharper.

The sound is generally pretty consistent though with all of the sending devices that I have here. It has an emphasis in the mid bass which is what I'm hoping Ausdom might find a fix for in the ANC7 because I think if that were reduced, it would be an excellent headphone; especially at its price level. In fact, the prototype ANC7 sound loses the mid bass hump with the noise cancellation switched on and becomes more transparent sounding in a similar way that the Bose QC25 does. I can't really say too much about the ANC7 yet though because it may well not be the final version.

The 'fix' for the mid bass could be something really simple, like velour pads instead of the current ones or more damping behind the drivers. Also, in one earcup, there are the Bluetooth electronics, would could make each earcup measure differently.

The U.K. And USA prices of the M05 don't match yet though and you get a better deal in the USA.

Of course, if the treble were smoother then it would be in a totally different price bracket altogether but in my feedback, when I first heard it, I did mention raised mid bass and rolled away treble. The mids feel quite smooth to me though so there is a basis of a really nice Bluetooth headphone there and I think Ausdom are really keen to get feedback and become established as a main supplier rather than farm their products out to other companies.

I am curious about the EE version in comparison. In fact, I nearly bought an EE just to compare. I know that Tyll put it on his Wall of Fame and if the M05 is much the same or even an improved version, then it should be there as well!!

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #178 of 220
Haha, oops! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on them
smily_headphones1.gif

GAH! So its posted, I have some photos here at work, but the box photos are at home. I just put it up with the device photos I have for now and will add the box photos tonight. Without further ado:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ausdom-m05-bluetooth-4-0-over-ear-headphones/reviews/14991

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #180 of 220
It seems to be the raised mid bass that causes most consternation. Maybe some damoening behind the drivers might help?

I agree that it seems to be the most brought up concern. Thankfully EQ saves it. Perhaps it is trying to go for the same level of bass given by beats? I'm by no means a fan, but I know the majority of people in the mass market seem to enjoy this signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back