AUSDOM M05 With APT-X WorldWide Review ------Reviewers Wanted !
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #196 of 220
When Frans gets into a headphone, believe me, it gets improved!!

We have to remember the low cost of this one as well, so once he's done, my feeling is that it will be one of the best at the price. I talked about the mods with him today and he showed me the fr graphs that he measured and there are large improvements.

What surprised me is that it goes as high as 24khz but there is also a dip up there which he managed to plug.

I'll wait until he decides he's got to a point where it won't improve any more and look out for his suggestions which he'll post.

Another curious thing he found was that the pads don't actually seal down on the head properly which affects the bass as well. The cups don't swivel enough on some heads so that it's in effect, slightly open at the bottom so he's looking for a solution.

Bass is lowered though by about 7db with his mod so the top end becomes less smothered which is a good thing.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #198 of 220
Hi Ian ,thanks so much for your reference shaing. Things will not be smooth if without your help. 

Frans has sent me the report, and the company is going to have a meeting with engineers. we fell really excited about this and more confidence in this headphone. 

Frans is also to send me the headphone back, Just looking forward to it's arrival. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #199 of 220
Grace - that is fantastic news.  The M05 with a little more refinement would be stunning.  Look forward to hearing what your engineers think fo the mods!

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #200 of 220
Hi Grace. Yes it is pretty good news. With those mods, they will be the best in the market at that kind of price. The pricing has to be taken into consideration for them as well, so you have to remember that Solderdude was taking a purely objective look at performance, without any reference to pricing whatsoever. He makes no bones about it and just reports on pure performance.

He tried to work out a solution with the least disruption to the headphone which would enably current diy'ers to improve them, while also perhaps giving you at the factory a relatively easy mod which would make it more palatable for the HF market.

Grace, the same mods would work for the ANC7 but when the NC is turned on, the sound might become too thin I think. The NC circuit kind of tunes out the frequency response problems of the M05 so, it might need rethinking with that in mind.

Solderdude was surprised at the good build quality since most around the same level are nothing like it.

With the mods, they're a different headphone and more balanced. No longer a Beats 'emulator' in the bass region, although there is room for an 'a' and 'b' version if you wanted ...

Superlux did this with their hd681 series. An F, B and normal version of the same headphone. B= bassy, F = .... I'm not certain, but it has less bass.

The way to change bass levels is to vary the size or number of holes in the baffle.

Solderdude is a genius at the acoustic manipulation of speakers and headphones and I'm really chuffed that he took the time to do the M05. I wasn't sure that he had the time. He also designed the Garage 1217 headphone amplifiers, Grace and they are drop dead gorgeoeus. I have two here.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #202 of 220
you made the right choice. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #203 of 220
I just got back to this thread and someone has already modded the headphones with kitchen towel. Awesome!

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #205 of 220
M05 I think the headphones are really great on PC using Foobar2000 (best music player imo) and (also) USB Audio Player Pro on Android (best music player imo). I just can't wait for Foobar2000 to release on mobile then things will really be turned up.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #206 of 220
Apr 21, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #210 of 220
Did you dampen them and adjust the signature Grace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back