Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #361 of 3,454
  They didn't do the best camera work, but if you watch closely you can see that all of them (except one) were visibly destroyed.  Only the first set flew apart, but it was clear that nearly all of them were going to be non-functional afterwards.  Meanwhile it was the same set of rockets over and over and over, and they still work.  

We don't shoot movies for a living. Hard to shoot this stuff at such a high frame rate which is the only way you can actually see anything at all. We do have pics of the end result from each test. Basically it only took one hit from that hammer to render any product useless and non-functional. That set of ROCKETS we used was the same set in every test and still worked when we were done. I'm not really sure how to say how that made us feel as a company, we could not believe it ourselves but it happened. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #362 of 3,454

Yeah, you are right on that 100 blows.
 Anyway, call me skeptical but the video does not show even two blows on the same pair of IEMs. Be them Rockets or not.

I am REALLY interested in supporting, but only if Aurisonics come up with something to use them over-the-ear. They mentioned it somewhere (stretch goal perhaps?) but there are no updates on this so far.

Not really necessary to show the same IEMs more than once as they were done for and rendered useless on the first shot. We got lots of footage of IEMs including our own ASG-2. The same set of ROCKETS were used over and over and over and over and still worked. We really did not know what to say about that.

The "antiloop" is an attachment you switch out the tri-tab for and route the wires around nicely over the ear and around back. It holds ROCKETS in your ears very well also. The slider on the cable is also new and is really nice.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #363 of 3,454

We don't shoot movies for a living. Hard to shoot this stuff at such a high frame rate which is the only way you can actually see anything at all. We do have pics of the end result from each test. Basically it only took one hit from that hammer to render any product useless and non-functional. That set of ROCKETS we used was the same set in every test and still worked when we were done. I'm not really sure how to say how that made us feel as a company, we could not believe it ourselves but it happened. 

Sorry if you took that as an insult - that wasn't how I meant it.  The video did what I think the intent was....show a fun and unique way to stress test a product that passed with flying colors.  Without making a 20 minute long in depth post hit video I think it'd be hard for us on the outside to appreciate the destruction that the other headphones faced.

Like I said in my original post, I think the pinch hit that the cord took in the one test is the one that impressed me the most.  I can't imagine many cables holding up to that kind of abuse.  I backed these on Kickstarter as their small size will be perfect under my motorcycle helmet.  I am quite certain that the durability will make them perfect for that application as well now.  Congrats on exceeding even your own high expectations.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #364 of 3,454

Sorry, but why didn't it impress me? 
confused.gif

I might be being too critical but the surface they use to put the "victims" seems a little soft.
 And from what I've seen, only the Apple earbuds were really smashed. All others seem to have survived, give or take a few flying earbuds.

Hit a wood surface hundreds of times with a 30 pound mallet/hammer and watch it turn to mush. None survived except ROCKETS. The test subjects may have looked somewhat intact after the hammer but none were useable or functional afterwards except ROCKETS.

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #366 of 3,454

Not really necessary to show the same IEMs more than once as they were done for and rendered useless on the first shot. We got lots of footage of IEMs including our own ASG-2. The same set of ROCKETS were used over and over and over and over and still worked. We really did not know what to say about that.

The "antiloop" is an attachment you switch out the tri-tab for and route the wires around nicely over the ear and around back. It holds ROCKETS in your ears very well also. The slider on the cable is also new and is really nice.

Can you please release this separately soon? I would be very interested in this even if we don't make the kickstarter stretch goal. 

Also the bluetooth wireless mic solution too, but I'm guessing that is coming regardless

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #367 of 3,454

Hit a wood surface hundreds of times with a 30 pound mallet/hammer and watch it turn to mush. None survived except ROCKETS. The test subjects may have looked somewhat intact after the hammer but none were useable or functional afterwards except ROCKETS.

I appreciate the quick and constant contact from you guys on this thread and of course the explanation. And those are just more reasons for me to support the Rockets.
bigsmile_face.gif

To be honest, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a used pair of ASG-2 as well... 

In regards to the "antiloop", that (switching out the tri-tab) makes much more sense than the regular ear hooks found eveywhere else. As I previously posted, just turning the cable up and routing it over the ear pulls the IEMs out.

I am pretty confident the $120k stretch goal will be met, but just in case not, I reinforce the wish from kyuuketsuki: please release the antiloop as an accessory.

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #368 of 3,454
No offense, but a 90-day warranty on the Rockets (for the cable part) seems to indicate you aren't so very confident in the sturdiness of your product. Even EarPods have a longer warranty than that. Heck, Etymōtic Research's HF5 is cheaper than the Rockets and comes with a 2-year warranty (one that doesn't exclude the cable, to boot).

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #369 of 3,454

Are you sure it is just a simple pair of ear hooks? Like those really cheap found on Ebay?

I am wondering if it is something more complex but it might be that simple. My concern is because the cable is attached on the horizontal it should point outwards when worn. From previous experience on other IEMs, routing the cable over-the-ear might pull the earphones up and unplug them a little bit, loosening the seal.

It would be really nice if Aurisonics or somebody who have tested them could give me a hint on that.

There are 15 days and 36k left to reach the over-the-ear goal. I hope they can make it anyway! 
beerchug.gif

The cable does come out horizontally like the Atomic Floyd Mini Darts and SuperDarts.  Both of which I had no issues wearing over-ear. 

No offense, but a 90-day warranty on the Rockets (for the cable part) seems to indicate you aren't so very confident in the sturdiness of your product. Even EarPods have a longer warranty than that. Heck, Etymōtic Research's HF5 is cheaper than the Rockets and comes with a 2-year warranty (one that doesn't exclude the cable, to boot).

Makes me think of Sony's warranty on their products.  But I do agree here though.  For a 250 dollar price tag, a 90-day warranty may not look the best.  A year is quite common, 2 is being really nice :p  I've seen some go 3 (RHA I think) which is even nicer :p 

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #370 of 3,454
No one likes to keep track of warranty reserves for 2 years :p

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #371 of 3,454

The cable does come out horizontally like the Atomic Floyd Mini Darts and SuperDarts.  Both of which I had no issues wearing over-ear. 

Makes me think of Sony's warranty on their products.  But I do agree here though.  For a 250 dollar price tag, a 90-day warranty may not look the best.  A year is quite common, 2 is being really nice :p  I've seen some go 3 (RHA I think) which is even nicer :p 

I like the V-MODA lifetime half price replacement, but I can understand a small company not doing that.  

In general, warranties only need to be 60 days or so.  If it hasn't failed within that timeframe there is usually not a manufacturing defect.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #372 of 3,454

None taken. Because of Kickstarter rules we have not officially launched ROCKETS until the Kickstarter is complete. So that being said the warranty stated is our current product warranty. We do not get any warranty whatsoever and nor does any other CIEM company from the manufacturer that makes everyone's cables (that I am aware of) so giving a 90 day warranty on a cable that we don't get a warranty on is something we took on ourselves. We have piles of cables we replaced for free and manufacturer does nothing for us and they are not cheap to buy from them either.

That being said we make the cables for ROCKETS ourselves in-house (soon all of our cables) and after the Gallagher test and a few others we have completed we are very confident in OUR new cable. We will be providing an update on the warranty for ROCKETS soon.

We appreciate everyone's comments.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #373 of 3,454

I like the V-MODA lifetime half price replacement, but I can understand a small company not doing that.

In general, warranties only need to be 60 days or so.  If it hasn't failed within that timeframe there is usually not a manufacturing defect.

Hmmm kinda liking this we will look at this closer.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #374 of 3,454
Im very excited to see what kind of cables you guys might come up with if you start making cables in house! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #375 of 3,454
  None taken. Because of Kickstarter rules we have not officially launched ROCKETS until the Kickstarter is complete. So that being said the warranty stated is our current product warranty. We do not get any warranty whatsoever and nor does any other CIEM company from the manufacturer that makes everyone's cables (that I am aware of) so giving a 90 day warranty on a cable that we don't get a warranty on is something we took on ourselves. 

• The Rockets are an IEM, not a CIEM.
  • The cable is an integral part of the Rockets: It cannot be removed; it cannot be replaced.
  • Most other IEM companies import all their parts -- cables included -- yet they don't exclude their cables from their one-year warranty. Even CIEM companies do not (except for Aurisonics, apparently).
  • You keep boasting about the durability of the Rockets. A short warranty indicates that you are not really confident in that respect. Commercial decisions speak louder than words -- and louder even than a smashing video.

That being said we make the cables for ROCKETS ourselves in-house (soon all of our cables) and after the Gallagher test and a few others we have completed we are very confident in OUR new cable. We will be providing an update on the warranty for ROCKETS soon.

OK. I'm waiting to see. I invested in your product, so I obviously want to believe. But you're more likely to convince me that you believe in the durability of your product with a long warranty than with empty assurances (and a video).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back