Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #3,196 of 3,454
Imo, the fxt90 and rockets aren't in the same league. The rockets are far more refined in every area of the FR, and the FXT90 sounds like rough sandpaper in comparison. I compared the FXT90 to some other iems a while back, and was not impressed.

+1. The FXT90 was good in its day, but from memory it does come off as peaky in the treble and too cool through the mids. Joker just posted a glowing review of the Rockets on Innerfidelity. I have to say I agree with how he hears them. I may get a little more treble emphasis than what he's describing by using a reversed Comply ts100, but it seems close.

I'm at CanJam right now and brought along the Rockets to compare with the TOTL offerings here. Got to hear the Layla, Roxanne, Noble Audio Savant, and a bunch of others. I have preferred the Rockets in every instance, except maybe the Savant for some music. The Rockets FR sounds more correct to me than JH iems, and definitely clearer across the mids. I get a slight haze kind of sound with JH. Notes are slightly blurred and less defined, although the FR is very nicely balanced on the Roxanne. Layla is just too warm through the mids to my ears.

The Savant has more bass and treble than the Rockets, but not by much, and even Jeff Buckley had only the slightest of sibilance on occasion, which is a feat. One day I'll spring for them, but at $500 I have some other more pressing expenses.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,197 of 3,454
The Rockets are so tempting to buy, but people reporting they are not driven well by phones and issues with the stock tips (even sticking inside the ear) prevent me from getting them.

If those things are improved in a second version then I'll surely get them.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3,198 of 3,454
The Rockets are so tempting to buy, but people reporting they are not driven well by phones and issues with the stock tips (even sticking inside the ear) prevent me from getting them.

Not at all. They sound great off my iPhone. And the stock tips are not even recommended by users. These are great for tip rolling. I use the Sony hybrids and it's perfect. I sold my pair, only to purchase them again. They r end game iems. Just check for used ones on the sale thread.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #3,199 of 3,454

My endgame rig is the Rockets with my iphone 6 (likely getting the 7 later in the year), running spotify at the highest bitrate. I have zero issues with driving.

I use Comply TS-500s and the iems virtually disappear, leaving only the music.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #3,200 of 3,454
Figured I'd ask at this point - I'm looking eventually to buy an N shaped iem somewhere along later this year.

I got to hear the Dunu titans 3 and 5 and each have a nice mid thing going on. I'm hoping someone could compare those with the rockets? Thanks in advance!

Rockets are much more refined in the treble and balanced in terms of sound signature IMO. I own a pair, and I tried the Titan 5 and 3. I found the 5 to be too bass heavy, and I had issues with the treble reproduction on both units. The treble sounds edgy and raw on both, with the 3 coming off as slightly smoother - however they were still easily fatiguing for me. With the bass emphasis and harsher treble the DUNUs sound more v shaped. If you want sweet mids Rockets are your best bet. I highly doubt you will regret it. My Rockets have been my constant go to UIEM even though I'm using a TOTL custom now. It is just a very balanced signature, slightly mid centric (which I love), easy going treble, and good soundstage reproduction.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #3,201 of 3,454
The Titan 3 mids and bass are very good; it's much more linear than the Titan 1. The 3 mids will be more transparent and airy than Rockets, with the Rockets having a more intimate midrange. But the Titan 3 treble is not something I can live with. Seriously, what is going on with Dunu treble tuning? The Titan 5 is a mess IMO. Even peakier treble and a lot more bass than the 3. At any rate, If you want a slightly warmer, more intimate vocal presentation and smoother overall frequency response then the Rockets would be a good alternative to the Titan 3.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #3,202 of 3,454

My endgame rig is the Rockets with my iphone 6 (likely getting the 7 later in the year), running spotify at the highest bitrate. I have zero issues with driving.

I use Comply TS-500s and the iems virtually disappear, leaving only the music.

If the rumors about the lightning connector are correct, you might run into a few problems with that setup, namely, not being able to hear anything.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #3,203 of 3,454
  If the rumors about the lightning connector are correct, you might run into a few problems with that setup, namely, not being able to hear anything.

I don't think they'll be that dumb. That basically eliminates the 7 from every car's aux port, and virtually every headphone in existence.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #3,204 of 3,454

I don't think they'll be that dumb. That basically eliminates the 7 from every car's aux port, and virtually every headphone in existence.

Don't underestimate Apple's willingness to push high-priced adapters until adoption is up. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #3,205 of 3,454
I've owned the Rockets for two weeks now and listen to them between 4 and 6 hours a day.  I didn't like the stock tips and went with the Comply 500's.  I build furniture and it's really loud in my workshop so the isolation was key for me.  I listen to just about everything but my standards are rock, hip hop and country rock (think Son Volt).  Really love the sound on these.  I've had Klipsch X10's (two pairs - both broken), and I bought the Etymotic H5's when I bought the Rockets and strongly prefer the Rockets.

Here's the rub though: one of my tail pieces came with a little bubble in it that is already starting to rip.  I called Fender and got the email for Andy who works or worked for Aurisonics and is handling all of their warranty claims.  I've sent him two emails asking him about the tail pieces and also asking if they are going to honor and how they're going to handle their 5 year warranty.  No response.  I even called Fender again and confirmed his email and asked if there was anyone else that I could talk to.  They were very nice but basically there isn't.  So - While I can still send these back to Amazon and get something else should I?  The tail piece thing is annoying but not that big of a deal but what happens when I need to really warranty these?

Andy - are you out there?

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #3,207 of 3,454
  I've owned the Rockets for two weeks now and listen to them between 4 and 6 hours a day.  I didn't like the stock tips and went with the Comply 500's.  I build furniture and it's really loud in my workshop so the isolation was key for me.  I listen to just about everything but my standards are rock, hip hop and country rock (think Son Volt).  Really love the sound on these.  I've had Klipsch X10's (two pairs - both broken), and I bought the Etymotic H5's when I bought the Rockets and strongly prefer the Rockets.

Here's the rub though: one of my tail pieces came with a little bubble in it that is already starting to rip.  I called Fender and got the email for Andy who works or worked for Aurisonics and is handling all of their warranty claims.  I've sent him two emails asking him about the tail pieces and also asking if they are going to honor and how they're going to handle their 5 year warranty.  No response.  I even called Fender again and confirmed his email and asked if there was anyone else that I could talk to.  They were very nice but basically there isn't.  So - While I can still send these back to Amazon and get something else should I?  The tail piece thing is annoying but not that big of a deal but what happens when I need to really warranty these?

Andy - are you out there?

How do they compare to the Etymotic H5's soundwise?

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #3,208 of 3,454
I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt...

I like the Rockets better than the HF5's.  The sound fuller and are more fun.  I've listened to a lot of headphones and IEM's in the $200-$400 range and when I hear a sound signature that I like the music seems to pop more.  

I've read way too many reviews online and maybe I'm being influenced by what I've read but the HF5's sound clinical to me.  Not a bad thing for some or even most but just not for me.  The HF5's also sit really deep in the ear canal.  Great for isolation - not as good for me listening for 4-6 at a pop.  It's funny - I thought I'd like the deeper feel of the HF5's because my Klipsh's sit really deep but it just doesn't work for me.  Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back