Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Mar 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,201 of 2,761
hahaha... this exactly happened to me as well for my UM3X, lets see if it will happen again with ASG-1 when i get them.

Quote:
 I missed my bus for I had no idea it came and went off...   The girlfriend is also pissed at me because shes been talking to me for half an hour yet I'm whistling to aerosmith. I'm sleeping on the floor tonight BTW. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,202 of 2,761
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY to>>>>>>    AURISONICS!!!

It's looks like they're starting off their second year the right way. Congratulations Dale and guys (and girls??)....

Eric 
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,204 of 2,761
Someone earlier had described the sound as being very "hollow", and other people have called them "thin" sounding. This is exactly what I initially experienced too. Through trying various tips, it got better, but not completely.

Then one day it just did. I can't explain it but it seems like my brain was at odds with the sound, and then gave up the fight and started agreeing. I hesitate to blame it on the tips though finding the right fit was crucial. I hesitate to blame it all on burn in, though it did seems to smooth a bit from that. Ultimately I think it was just a matter of my brain coming to terms with what I was hearing. 

I have to point out that this was not a conscious decision I made. Telling myself to like them was not the answer. It just happened on its own.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I see potential for major disagreements here. I don't want to make people feel like they are doing anything wrong if they don't end up loving the sound. We have a tendency around here to find scapegoats - did you try these tips? What was your source? Use a nice amp? Play the right music? Burn them in long enough? Those are all factors of course, but ultimately we have to be ready for the idea that some people just won't like the end result. And there's nothing wrong with that. Dale has mentioned to me several times that he is very aware of the sound not being for everyone. So there should be no stigma attached to someone coming in here, explaining exactly what did and didn't work for them, and even deciding that the Aurisonics sound is not for them. 

I have some more testing to do before I send around my ASG-1 for people to try out. But when I do, you can be sure that I want to hear what people really think of them. If you hate them, please let us know why! Hopefully we can narrow it down to figure out which people are good candidates for the Aurisonic sound and which people are not, so potential buyers will have some idea of what to expect. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,205 of 2,761
I agree with project86. The sound may not be for everyone, and I'm pretty sure - through some discussions with Dale - that the sound of these IEMs were engineered for a particular customer base. Now, I'm sure Aurisonics is quite happy that some outside of that customer base can appreciate the sound and build quality of their products, but we at head-fi should never lose sight of the fact that these IEMs sound the way they do for a reason. 

I know it was never the intention of Aurisonics to produce the ASG-1 in a way that would garner generic mass appeal. And again, we shouldn't forget that this is not an American company by name only (meaning their products are manufactured by the thousands a day over in China), but a small company in the USA that hand build these themselves. Give them some breathing room...

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,208 of 2,761
i agree with project86 too. having gone thru generally warm sounding phones. my initial reception to the as-1b was very bad. but right now i'm starting to get impressed by them after abt 10hrs of burn in. i do hope that the sound will continue to change with my experience from the atrio mg5 rev2 and ie8.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,209 of 2,761
Personally, as long as they have forward mids and great bass, I will be able to love them eventually. I think ericp got me a little too excited at first, but reading ALL of these impressions I have a hope that the ASG-1 will help me transition to a slightly more mature listening style. I just hope they aren't TOO aggressive in presenting detail or treble. Definitely looking forward to that huge soundstage :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,210 of 2,761

Quote:
Then one day it just did. I can't explain it but it seems like my brain was at odds with the sound, and then gave up the fight and started agreeing. I hesitate to blame it on the tips though finding the right fit was crucial. I hesitate to blame it all on burn in, though it did seems to smooth a bit from that. Ultimately I think it was just a matter of my brain coming to terms with what I was hearing.   
I have to point out that this was not a conscious decision I made. Telling myself to like them was not the answer. It just happened on its own.

The ASG-1 ended up being a learning experience for me.  I feel now that I was too quick to dismiss their sound since it was not what I was expecting and different from my norm.  I was also in a small buying frenzy and I think I panicked, they were the fourth pair of headphones I had bought in as many weeks.  I have had a similar experience to project86 as far as my brain adjusting to a different sound signature with the EX600s.  So long story short, I will give any new headphones at least a week or two before I make any rash decisions.

The saving grace is the potential of the 2 series when available. 
biggrin.gif
  Or buy the ASG-1, again!  I've done that before, TF10, Sony A and Sony X. 

I'm starting to look at every new headphone/IEM as a learning experience and hopefully a fun one at that! 

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,211 of 2,761

Quote:

I'm starting to look at every new headphone/IEM as a learning experience and hopefully a fun one at that! 

This, this, and this.  That's why I haven't already sold off my ASG-1.  Interestingly, I leant them to a co-worker yesterday and he just came to me raving about them with interest in buying them.  I just directed him to Springtree, we'll see if he pulls the trigger or not!

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,212 of 2,761
well that's the annoying/beauty about audio.

You pay a lot but can also re-sell.

I bought the MMDT's on impulse knowing full well that I can sell them on for the same price even after i listen to them.
its like expanding your knowledge in audio products.

ie. joker would be and is a pro at that, and knows exactly what he likes or doesn't like as he "caught em all" well almost :p

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,213 of 2,761

Quote:
Personally, as long as they have forward mids and great bass, I will be able to love them eventually. I think ericp got me a little too excited at first, but reading ALL of these impressions I have a hope that the ASG-1 will help me transition to a slightly more mature listening style. I just hope they aren't TOO aggressive in presenting detail or treble. Definitely looking forward to that huge soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

deadhorse.gif
 Yes, blame the messenger!!! LOL... I can only report what I hear.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #1,214 of 2,761
Heheh...I don't blame you at all. I had already decided on the purchase well before reading your reviews, so you won't get wallet-hate from me :p I do have high expectations, but I think they are realistic, at least as far as how I will personally react to the sound. Coming from X10, MS400, SE215, FA Eterna, and other similar sets, I know I will be missing warmth, but I also want more realism and immediacy than any of those headphones were able to give me, as well as a bigger soundstage.

If they really don't float my boat, I will try to trade them for SM3, UM3x, or MDT, and if none of those work out, I will likely be going back to either the X10 or SE215. Until I can afford UM Merlins ^_^

Quote:
deadhorse.gif
 Yes, blame the messenger!!! LOL... I can only report what I hear.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,215 of 2,761
The realism is excellent but not sure I think the ASG-1 is big on immediacy Gilly. I find them laid back and not very immediate. Everything is pushed back further away even the vocals, which are indeed forward, but are still more "rows" back then on some other phones. My modded TF10 is very immediate and aggressive even though it has the same large soundstage it is way more in your face. With the better clarity/transparency it is like being on stage with the band vs. several rows back and listening partly through the speakers with the ASG-1.

The ASG-1 misses the mark a bit as a personal listening phone though it is better than other stage monitors like the UM2 and SM3. I haven't played with EQ on the PC yet but on portables the ASG-1 seem to need a bit of boost ~6K to clear them up(the hollow, artificial thing others have reported). IMO, a cable change is most likely in order and if chosen correctly will make them one of the best universal phones for personal listening.

Almost like a brother to my TF10. Both fairly large phones that give me trouble in one ear(TF the R, ASG-1 the L ear). They cost the same. Both are very sensitive to fit/tip esp. angle and depth of insertion. They need cable upgrades to get rid of an off/artificial aspect in their sound. Very similar yet very different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back