Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #363 of 2,761

Quote:
Thanks project86.  Hey ericp10, did you ever try the imitation Sony hybrid tips from your beloved GR07?

I got the first production batch of the GR07 @ alphaphoenix, and it didn't include the imitation Sony hybrid tips.

I think I am going to try my real Sony hybrid tips, however, on the ASG-1. So far the Senn double-flange have been great, but I think I actually won't to reduce the bass a bit without eq-ing it down. The Comply did this naturally for me, but I'm curious about the Sonys.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #364 of 2,761
Feb 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #365 of 2,761

Quote:
Indeed. I use the TS-400s with my FXT90s with excellent results, which are even better when reversed. I've been keeping a close eye for sales of TS-500s since pulling the trigger on the ASG-1.

You can try this coupon code for 20% discount on Ts500 Comply Tips....it worked yesterday!

ComplyFTW20

Just got an email from Nate at Comply!  Here is a 25% discount code for Ts500 for ASG-1 owners!

[size=10.5pt]HeadFiTs25[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Just edited the code to 25![/size]

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #366 of 2,761

Glad we are finding similar results @ project86. It amazes me, but this is the first time I can say I think a universal will surpass a custom. if I'm going to be honest, the ASG-1 is definitely neck and neck with my 1964-Q, and could possibly surpass it in enjoyment factor for me with burn-in. That's how good these IEMs are to me. 

I know many head-fiers trust your word more than mine @ project86 (especially since you have far more customs listening experience than I do. I've only heard one custom at this point). So it's nice to know I'm not the only one hearing how great these universals are in the head-fi community..
Quote:
I've been keeping up with this thread but haven't had much to contribute until now. I had a bit of a "breakthrough" with the ASG-1 yesterday. I had been pretty satisfied with the sound and fit while using a dual flange tip, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try some others. After a few mediocre results, I ended up finding my perfect match. 

Unfortunately I don't know where these tips came from. I keep all spare tips in a collection together and I can't recall when these were added. They look like the medium Sony hybrids with the green inner section, but I know they aren't from a real Sony product. Anyways, these were the missing link I needed to get great sound and great comfort from the ASG-1.

I was listening to Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens (a perfect example of music sounding great despite using very low budget recording equipment) and the ASG-1 sounded up there with some of the better customs I've encountered. This album is full of unique sounds, from wind chimes to wine glasses used as instruments, and some interestingly complex arrangements. The ASG-1 gave it a "live" feeling, had plenty of low end extension, and did the voice just right. The only thing that I didn't care for was a bit of a "ringing" type feel on some of the upper mids, though it wasn't too objectionable. I'm hearing them generally the same as ericp10 is.

I've decided to close up the adjustments on my AS-1b and focus on the similarities/differences between the custom and the universal. I think that is more relevant to the discussion at the moment, rather than trying to "figure out" all the variations of the AS-1b. So far I believe they are pretty close in general sound quality. The main difference I'm hearing is the low frequency reproduction - through bone conduction or possibly just a superior seal, the AS-1b seems more effortless and lifelike when reproducing lows. Not that the volume is much different, but the quality is just better. I also hear a bit more in terms of layering and instrument separation. Basically it is the same sound, just further refined. Without taking the venting and bass adjustment options into consideration, I would say the extra $100 jump in price from ASG-1 to AS-1 is worth it. Especially considering the free impression kit which allows you to avoid audiologist fees. That said, I'm very glad Aurisonics offers the universal version , as there are plenty of benefits to going that route. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #367 of 2,761
thanks for the link 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #368 of 2,761
I forgot to mention - for my ears, the ASG-1 is one of the more variable sounding universals, depending on tip choice. It reminds me of the Monster Coppers in that way.

While it may frustrate in some cases (if you can't find the right match), it is also a benefit - you can practically have two different sounding IEMs just by swapping tips. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #369 of 2,761

Quote:
Glad we are finding similar results @ project86. It amazes me, but this is the first time I can say I think a universal will surpass a custom. if I'm going to be honest, the ASG-1 is definitely neck and neck with my 1964-Q, and could possibly surpass it in enjoyment factor for me with burn-in. That's how good these IEMs are to me. 

I know many head-fiers trust your word more than mine @ project86 (especially since you have far more customs listening experience than I do. I've only heard one custom at this point). So it's nice to know I'm not the only one hearing how great these universals are in the head-fi community..

In the end, you are simply pointing out how things sound to you. So I don't know why people tend to disagree and get all bent out of shape. If I hear them one way, and you hear them another, then which of us is objectively right and which is wrong? Neither of course! We just hear them differently. Though in this case, we agree, so that makes it easier.

I too feel that the ASG-1 is treading on entry level custom territory. But that isn't too strange, because it's more like a custom pretending to be a universal. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #370 of 2,761

Quote:
In the end, you are simply pointing out how things sound to you. So I don't know why people tend to disagree and get all bent out of shape. If I hear them one way, and you hear them another, then which of us is objectively right and which is wrong? Neither of course! We just hear them differently. Though in this case, we agree, so that makes it easier.

I too feel that the ASG-1 is treading on entry level custom territory. But that isn't too strange, because it's more like a custom pretending to be a universal. 

I like to think of it as a custom universal, my sensitive ears couldn't wear a true custom.....these are great for me!

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #371 of 2,761
Going to place my order today and thanks for all the great reviews. I'm going to go with the universals as I haven't had a good pair of headphones in a while, I break/ lose them frequently, so I think I'll hold off on customs until I get used to the sounds of these and after I've demonstrated I can hold onto expensive things :p. I was about to go for the GR07 but wanted something with a slightly smoother sound and a bit more bass and sub bass and these seem to fit the bill perfectly. Thanks ericp10 for your comparison as yours were the comments that did me and my wallet in. Though, if I'm happy I know who I'm blaming :wink: jk.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #372 of 2,761
Quick question that I was wondering. Has anyone had luck with the stock tips or should I place my order for some other ones today as well? I was thinking the comply's as I have had those in the past, lost them, and really enjoyed the fit. Any more suggestions between these and the double flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back