Aurisonics AS/ASG-1 Plus Information and Discussions
Jan 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #31 of 364
Ah.. nice I didn't find this thread until recently.. I had my AS-2 switched up to a 1Plus a few weeks ago.. I've been so damn busy that I haven't had time to put up impressions.. which I will (hopefully tonight.. looks at @Idsynchrono_24 *ducks*).. but my impressions of the AS-1Plus line up well with @HiFlight's & @cn11's .. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #32 of 364
If all goes well, I might be able to get a listen to Cn11's tomorrow actually. No word on whether my pair is ready, hopefully there'll be an update later this week 

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #33 of 364
I just got back from meeting up with Cn11. Got a good hour with em, but I didn't have much time to draw comparisons against the UERM due to limited time. Right off the bat, I could tell that the tonal balance was very good. Next to the UERM, the UERM had much more treble energy and sounded more open/airy. With that said, I think the 1+ is quite neutral though, and a comparison agains the Tenore may not be too far off. It doesn't have that mid centricity going for it that the previous ASG monitors did. Everything sounds much more even, with nothing in particular leaping out from the mix. Running tonegen, I could hear gentle peaks at 6 and 10 khz. but through actual listening, this had to be the most non fatiguing phone I've ever listened to. 

The only issues I had with it in terms of timbre was that it was perhaps overly polite in the upper midrange/lower treble. I'm not sure if the little bump at 6 kHz may be detracting from the frequencies below. Electric guitars didn't have that sharp bite that I'm used to, and this was confirmed when I A/Bed against the UERM. On the flipside, this phone is so easy going that it makes even the harshest music completely listenable. Wanna listen to some angular post punk or punishing metal? Go right on ahead. I couldn't sense any sort of coloration in the midrange at all, and vocals sounded stellar - very natural, with no coloration. Sense of space was excellent as well, excellent height and width proportions, with some great imaging. I'd say it's at least about on a par with the LAB I there, perhaps eclipsing it as it's not as in your face in terms of presentation, but more scaled back. Bass had good weight, superb reach and control, and great texture. I was surprised by how composed the bass was coming from an ASG phone, but after the Rockets, AS' signature target is quite different.

I felt the treble was the best out of all of the ASG phones I'd heard. Great extension, articulation and weight. In a crowded library, I could hear tones up to 14.5 kHz before things trailed off. My limit is around 16 kHz, but this is good stuff. Cymbals had smooth decay and good energy; there was no harshness or shoutiness to it. 

Overall I really, really dug the 1+. I'm very much so looking forward to gettin my own pair in for sure. Typically, when I meet up to hear phones, I only exhibit some mild curiosity. It takes time for me to get a handle on signatures unless there's some obvious "wow" factor at hand. Similar to the LAB I, there is no "wow" factor here to speak of. It was something that gradually impressed me the more that I listened. It's a very, very composed signature for sure, losing some of the rawness of the Rockets' sig, but sounding more refined overall. I definitely look forward to exploring this one in depth.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #34 of 364
I'm getting my AS2 converted to the AS1Plus.   How does it compare to the FAD Heaven series, I have the Heaven V which to me seems "forward vocals, analytical, narrow but tall, holistic, mild bass, resolving in mids and highs, and musical.   I also have the FX850 which I hear as warm, bassy, too wide a soundstage and bassy to convey the musicality and emotion as the FAD.   I love the FAD signature, and I hated the AS2 signature as many may know.(still can't believe the inaccuracy of Flysweeps review of the AS2).   

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #35 of 364
I'd try applying James' mods to the FX850. Once modded, it's completely different phone. I also don't like the FX850 in stock form, but once modded, it should have no problem smoking the Heaven V. They are entirely different phones of course, but I find the FX850 to be much more accurate from a timbral perspective and much, much more dynamic overall. As for the 1 Plus, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's far and away the best ASG to date. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #36 of 364
  I'd try applying James' mods to the FX850. Once modded, it's completely different phone. I also don't like the FX850 in stock form, but once modded, it should have no problem smoking the Heaven V. They are entirely different phones of course, but I find the FX850 to be much more accurate from a timbral perspective and much, much more dynamic overall. As for the 1 Plus, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's far and away the best ASG to date. 

Tell me more, kind sir.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #37 of 364
I did mod the 850 and noticeably less warm, and airy, however, in terms of my signature preference the FAD is much more musical and dynamic.   Its a matter of signature preference, I'm really an analytical kind of guy, LOL!!   I'm hoping the 1Plus will be superior to the 850 and more analytical for my taste.   

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #38 of 364
I... don't know if we agree on the meanings of certain terminology. Dynamics pertain to the range of sound as perceived at the lowest volume vs. the highest. In that sense, most IEMs I've heard feel positively compressed compared to the FX850. The only ones I've heard that can maybe hold a candle to it would be the FIBASS and the DITA. Not sure if I would agree that the Heaven V is analytical either. I know it's directly comparable to the Heaven VI, which I've also heard. I guess it depends on what sort of gear you're coming from. I had the Flat-4 SUI at the same time that I'd heard the Heaven VI and I wouldn't describe the VI as analytical, musical perhaps, but that's an awfully vague descriptor. The overall sound was too wet and tube like for that descriptor to apply. I will agree that you and I perhaps just have different tastes. I think that the 1 Plus will likely align with your overall preferences far more than any of the ASGs. It's not going to possess the overall sheer authority and aggressiveness in the upper mids and treble of the FX850 though. The overall sound is much more smooth and relaxed by comparison. Plenty of detail, but it's not analytical in any sense. The 1 Plus is what I'd describe as a holistic phone; one that focuses on the music first and foremost. 

Eke: I'll PM you. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #40 of 364
Sorry Mr. Fly, I just found out that you were given one of several prototypes and the final version of the AS2 was different.   Which explains the differences in pre-reviews vs the real McCoy!!
beerchug.gif
  (so instead of $600 you only owe me $300LoL!!)

Just confirmed by Andy at Aurisonics, the only difference between the AS2 and the 1Plus is that the 2 tweeters are removed and replaced by one new tweeter.   No crossovers.

(there will be a $100 fee charged to anyones Headfi account if you dare read the history.   It was written by a half-wit zombie, and the above was written by a one-quarter wit zoombie!)

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #43 of 364
The ASG-1 Plus has a SQ that is closer to the Rockets than the 2.5. The mids are uncolored and natural as are those of the Rockets, but the bass goes deeper and hits much harder while still preserving that elusive perception of realism. (If bassheads like the 2.5's with open ports, I doubt that they would be happy with the 1 Plus.) Highs are smooth and extended and have the necessary sparkle for accuracy of snares, brushes on hi-hats, etc. Vocals, both male and female. are near flawless. The detail and resolution of the highs are noticeably better than previous versions of the ASG-1, even the Signature Series ASG-1S which I liked very much until I heard the 1 Plus.

Although Aurisonics describes the sound as a more neutral offering, this does not mean that the sound lacks punch, fullness and is an analytic and cool sound. I don't recall hearing an IEM that has a better overall tonal balance with natural warmth and body. IMO, they give true meaning to the overused and vague term "Musical".

Think "Real" and you will have a good idea of how they sound. I guess they could be called Rockets on steroids!

I have previously owned the ASG-1S, the ASG-2.5, spent time with the tour Rockets and most recently acquired the ASG-1 Plus as a replacement for my ASG-1S which suffered unrepairable damage. For my personal musical preferences, the 1 Plus is the best yet.

I want to hear a comparison against the rockets :smiley:

HiFlight did a comparison earlier on in this thread. I completely agree with his points coming from a pair of Rockets to the ASG-1Plus. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #44 of 364
  I want to hear a comparison against the rockets :smiley:

I liked the AS-1Plus more.. ROCKETS were excellent.. but felt a little too 'consumer' oriented (in terms of sound/presentation) for me (don't ask me to explain that.. LOL).. AS-1Plus feels like a stage monitor take on the ROCKETS.. the AS-1Plus possesses better freq. bandwidth, instrument separation, layering, and resolving ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back