Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Jun 18, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #946 of 985
Anyone looking to sell a matched pair of PSVane EL34-PH's?

I got the PSVanes a few days ago. I think they sound great, even brand-new. They're well worth the price. My favorite tube combo right now based on what I have is the PSVanes with the Telefunkens.

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #947 of 985
That is a great combo… the good thing with the EL34-ph is they’re available new!

Jun 18, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #948 of 985
That is a great combo… the good thing with the EL34-ph is they’re available new!
Totally agree. With precious and expensive NOS tubes, I get nervosa while burning up hours on them. But with new-production tubes, I don't mind so much if I leave the amp on for longer periods of time for passive listening, etc., since I know it can be replaced more easily.

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #949 of 985
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #950 of 985
Just in case someone is looking for a Nirvana mk3, I’m currently listing mine in classified, and currently having a limited time deal for Independent Day with a really good price for a pretty new unit!

Jul 3, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #951 of 985
Wow that’s a low price. Can’t imagine how this isn’t sold already. That would chassis isn’t coming back.. GLWS!

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #952 of 985
I was blissfully listening this morning when all of a sudden there was a loud POP! in the right channel. Oh no! I immediately thought that the right driver of my beloved T+A Solitaire P headphones had died. No, it was the right tube in the Nirvana-- a Psvane EL34 UK. Out cold, without a warning. The second time a Psvane tube of mine has died way before it should. I love the sound of the Nirvana, but it makes me wary/weary of more tube amplification adventures. Anyone recommend a solid state amp of similar excellent quality? (Not that I'd transition out anytime soon though). In the meantime, happily listening again with the Psvane EL34 PH. (For as long as these last!)

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #953 of 985
A little write up about the Audio Technica AWAS being compared on 3 amps. The last being the Nirvana.

I wanted to chirp in on the AWAS. I have tried it on 3 amps with the same source. I 1st heard it on the Ifi Pro iCAN using the balanced XLR cable. I found the sound was meh. not energetic just boring. I then tried the se cable and it was much better , yet i still wasn’t in love with the cans though. Then I tried my PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated. It does not have a XLR connection and so I listened with the se cable.Much better sound. There it is, the sound I was hoping for. Warmth with detail. Space and air. Dynamic yet delicate at the same time. Yesterday I received a Auris Nirvana. I first listened with the single ended cable. This amp is just so smooth. It makes this very musical headphone even more musical. It drives out more details but adds more air and 3D sound. The mids were not quite as forward as the PrimaLuna. I then tried the XLR cable. Holy cow, now this headphone sounds like it is a totl headphone. Everything is better...I mean everything! more dynamic, more bass, tighter impactful bass. The soundstage is as big as you can expect out of a closed back. I can’t get over what I heard. These are my only closed back besides a OLLO S4R (which is phenomenal for its price) and it is such a good compliment to my Utopia and my Verite which I will have soon.
If you get a chance again run your headphones out of the evo 300 speaker taps with a tap cable. This was even better than the head out.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #954 of 985
I was blissfully listening this morning when all of a sudden there was a loud POP! in the right channel. Oh no! I immediately thought that the right driver of my beloved T+A Solitaire P headphones had died. No, it was the right tube in the Nirvana-- a Psvane EL34 UK. Out cold, without a warning. The second time a Psvane tube of mine has died way before it should. I love the sound of the Nirvana, but it makes me wary/weary of more tube amplification adventures. Anyone recommend a solid state amp of similar excellent quality? (Not that I'd transition out anytime soon though). In the meantime, happily listening again with the Psvane EL34 PH. (For as long as these last!)
Sorry to hear, I can say the Sophia EL34 have been working flawlessly for me and have had a year of extensive use without issue. I do have Psvane EL34 in my prima Luna Evo 200 amp used for speakers, and I’ve had no issues with these either. I had a black treasure KT88 fail in the first ten minutes though on the prima Luna which thankfully had a good failsafe circuit so no damage. The luck of the draw I guess.

I don’t think I have heard the same “tonal quality” from any amp that can compare to the nirvana but for a solid state experience that is sublime for its clarity, neutrality, detail and non fatiguing nature with still very well articulated treble and bass I can say I enjoy the Sparkos Labs Aries amplifier. For some music such as tubular bells I think it’s superior due to the more etched detail, but, for vocals the Abyss 1266 and Focal Utopia are well matched to the Nirvana… perfectly to my ears. I should add I increased the clarity and sparkle of the nirvana by swapping out the original input valve, quite a few people seem to have recommended that as well. I chose the GE long plate 5814A (maybe a Sylvania). Like it so much I put it into the prima Luna as well, massive improvement there.

cheers,

T

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #955 of 985

Sorry to hear, I can say the Sophia EL34 have been working flawlessly for me and have had a year of extensive use without issue. I do have Psvane EL34 in my prima Luna Evo 200 amp used for speakers, and I’ve had no issues with these either. I had a black treasure KT88 fail in the first ten minutes though on the prima Luna which thankfully had a good failsafe circuit so no damage. The luck of the draw I guess.

After 2 years, I also never head any issues with any tube - I've been using, each for extended periods of time: (1) stock JJ, (2) Sophia Electric, (3) Ameperex XF2 (made by Mullard)

I'd guess the issue was a defective tube. It sucks, but happens 🤷‍♀️😔

I should add I increased the clarity and sparkle of the nirvana by swapping out the original input valve, quite a few people seem to have recommended that as well. I chose the GE long plate 5814A (maybe a Sylvania). Like it so much I put it into the prima Luna as well, massive improvement there.

Indeed

I've used the Siemens 5814A 1974 long plate, triple mica, copper grid - great fit

--

2 years out, the Nivrana has a very unique place in my amp stack. Most of my other tube amps have a much bigger soundstage and a more airy presentation, but the Nirvana bests all of them in speed of attack and how incredibly deep and tights its bass is. It offers an extremely focused center stage and the ultimate control over any driver.

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #956 of 985
Sorry to hear about that, a bit of gutter… in the last year, the only time I had a tube fail(touching wood) is a new Psvane EL34PH. The Mullard XF2S have been great solid performers. I’ve never had a 12au7 go yet.

The closest a solid state amp has been to a tube amp is the Naim Atom HE. It sounds a bit like the Icon HP8. I haven’t heard one that sounds like the Nirvana though. The HE isn’t technically as good but it is very musical with a bit of warmth and good bass.

Maybe it’s worth picking up a pair of XF2s? They have a lot better build quality than modern day Psvane tubes, which are known to not last as long. NOS tubes do seem to have a better life span.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #957 of 985
Maybe it’s worth picking up a pair of XF2s? They have a lot better build quality than modern day Psvane tubes, which are known to not last as long. NOS tubes do seem to have a better life span.

They XF2 also have the added plus of sounding great. They really are fantastic in both quality of music and in quality of manufacturing..

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #958 of 985
They XF2 also have the added plus of sounding great. They really are fantastic in both quality of music and in quality of manufacturing..
Indeed... they've been a fit and forget tube. Sound great so never wanted to change them but the build quality is very good. I check for red plating every now and again but that's about it. I've read stories of people running them for decades... touching wood again, don't want to jinx myself. I still have a backup pair just in case though 🤣

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #960 of 985
Has anyone here spent time with the Auris Headonia? Just wondering if that is a real upgrade from the Nirvana.
Good question Acomera, I did look around for the Headinia before buying the Nirvana but they were not readily available to audition a year or so ago. At the price I can understand why… nor too many would be sold here I think.

T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back