Auris HA2 SF
Apr 10, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #136 of 376
interesting. very close in size and i imagine the bulk of the weight difference is the second transformer. the impedance is more precise on the nirvana but the volume and line-in selector look the same. i'm sure, or assume, the nirvana has some higher quality components inside. the back, as you mentioned, includes better quality connectors. would be interesting to see pics of the inside, side by side, but i doubt we will find those.

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #137 of 376
interesting. very close in size and i imagine the bulk of the weight difference is the second transformer. the impedance is more precise on the nirvana but the volume and line-in selector look the same. i'm sure, or assume, the nirvana has some higher quality components inside. the back, as you mentioned, includes better quality connectors. would be interesting to see pics of the inside, side by side, but i doubt we will find those.
I think they’re very reserved in regards to what they’ll share about how they’re made and i wouldn’t want to open it up.

the Bigger Ben, talked with the founder and he has no issues with me opening it up, tightening the feet and we talked about the volume pot. I might even talk to him about updating the the volume from a pot to attenuator.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #139 of 376
It it’s the alps pot, Miki confirmed (founder of Auris)
Thanks for the detailed reply ,, also thank you for the confirmation of the alps pot , which is really bummer , i wish they offer option to a better controller because that will improve the sound so much ,, i assume ampsandsound figured that early though they didn't update there webpage ..

Thanks again.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #140 of 376
Thanks for the detailed reply ,, also thank you for the confirmation of the alps pot , which is really bummer , i wish they offer option to a better controller because that will improve the sound so much ,, i assume ampsandsound figured that early though they didn't update there webpage ..

Thanks again.
I talked to Justin today and he said he'll update my Bigger Ben to the attenuator, it will cost 360 plus of course I'll pay shipping both ways. It's a good chunk of change, not sure how much it will improve the sound but I have no experience with an attenuator yet. I'm tempted, I'll wait till I get at least one of these amps out the door to a good home. I noticed even Schiit amps which are the other amps I've used, use the alps pot.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #141 of 376
Ok. I decided to try the Genalex Gold Lion ECC82. After about 14 hours, I think it will be better than the stock driver, in terms of “tubiness.” It is getting strong and controlled in the bass, and the midrange and highs have more air and sparkle. Soundstage is insanely good on both, and no noise or hum. Time will tell. I haven’t swapped in the gold pin JJ powers, but agree that they will make less difference than the driver.

There are other ECC82 options, but this one is nicely priced, and very good. I am very happy to have two very different, and outstanding driver options thus far.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #142 of 376
If the changes they've made to new HA2SF have bought the sound that close to the Nirvana, then "hats off" to Auris. It's half the price of the Nirvana!
I have the HA2se and will be booking a dem of the HA2SF.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #143 of 376
On tube rolling for HA-2SF:

It seems that the ECC99 tubes that come with the amp are not labeled gold-pin, and look similar, but not quite identical, to another set I bought that are labeled gold pin. Time will tell whether there is a difference. I'm going to burn in the amp with the excellent stock tubes first.

I also have an ECC32 Gold Lion tube to try at some point, but am in no huge hurry.

I like the amp so far, and it is different enough from Euforia AE and Phonitor X, that I am glad to have it. A tube amp that can drive Heddphone and Empyrean to full potential for all recordings with EQ is a plus.
Just now noticed, guessing you were talking about ECC82 not 32. Thanks for your thoughts on the sound.

Apr 11, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #145 of 376
On tube rolling for HA-2SF:

It seems that the ECC99 tubes that come with the amp are not labeled gold-pin, and look similar, but not quite identical, to another set I bought that are labeled gold pin. Time will tell whether there is a difference. I'm going to burn in the amp with the excellent stock tubes first.

I also have an ECC32 Gold Lion tube to try at some point, but am in no huge hurry.

I like the amp so far, and it is different enough from Euforia AE and Phonitor X, that I am glad to have it. A tube amp that can drive Heddphone and Empyrean to full potential for all recordings with EQ is a plus.
Could you give your impressions of the HA2 versus Euforia.

Apr 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #148 of 376
Could you give your impressions of the HA2 versus Euforia.
Hi pgkrish

My broad impressions...

Before i had a Feliks Audio Euforia an a Cayin HA-1A MK2. The Euforia was a typical Tube Amp, warm, forgiving an somewhat slow. I liked the combination with the Empyrean, the limiting Factor is power output and the missing of balanced in-and outputs. The same with the Cayin (in relation to connectivity). While the Cayin ist more on the neural side it lacks also in power output.

The Auris delivers more as double the Power, has balanced in/outputs and has these beautiful VU Meters. Most Important, the Auris has a neutral tuning with just a hint of Tube Goodness. This is by no way a Euphonic Amp, Tube connoisseurs will maybe disappointed. As you see on miy thread above i had/have some choice of different high quality Amps. If i ha to chose to live with only one Amp to the end of Time ? I ll chose the Auris in a
blink of an eye. My best investment in Head-Fi so far...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #149 of 376
Hi pgkrish

My broad impressions...

Before i had a Feliks Audio Euforia an a Cayin HA-1A MK2. The Euforia was a typical Tube Amp, warm, forgiving an somewhat slow. I liked the combination with the Empyrean, the limiting Factor is power output and the missing of balanced in-and outputs. The same with the Cayin (in relation to connectivity). While the Cayin ist more on the neural side it lacks also in power output.

The Auris delivers more as double the Power, has balanced in/outputs and has these beautiful VU Meters. Most Important, the Auris has a neutral tuning with just a hint of Tube Goodness. This is by no way a Euphonic Amp, Tube connoisseurs will maybe disappointed. As you see on miy thread above i had/have some choice of different high quality Amps. If i ha to chose to live with only one Amp to the end of Time ? I ll chose the Auralic in a
blink of an eye. My best investment in Head-Fi so far...
Thank you for sharing. Also at the end did you mean Auralic or Auris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back