Auris HA2 SF
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #153 of 376
I was talking with Brent Jessee in regards to tubes. I have a little better understanding now (every day I learn a little more (and probably spend a little more). Both Auris use a 12au7, 12 volt medium-gain dual triode vacuum tube. I've moved to the Bigger Ben which uses the 6sl7 high-mu (high voltage gain) twin triode in an octal based glass package. The HA-2SF uses four of the ECC99 9-pin double triode power tube. My top level observation would be this would be a good entry point in this price point. The Nirvana moves up to EL34 which is a thermionic valve or vacuum tube of the power pentode type. These two tubes hit harder than the ECC99 tubes with flexibility in types to change the sound. It continues to use the 12au7/ECC82 which can also be used to flavor the sound. It was not suggested to change the EL34 by Auris, so that is kind of where it stands. The Bigger Ben cam with KT88. I won't go deep into the definition but it hits harder than the EL34, the EL34 has a softer touch. The Bigger Ben can also use the 6550 variant of the KT88 and a little softer but still hard hitter tube, the 6L6GC, little harder than the EL34. What does this all mean? It just depends on what you are looking for and what price point. I think they're all good amps. I'm understanding more about why some off two transformers versus one, more clean power, cleaner sound, harder hitting. When the music hits a peak point, that drum or guitar, you feel it more with more power. Absolutely nothing wrong with the HA-2SF, it's a great amp. The fit and finish is top notch, it's just how far do you want to go? Again, my two cents.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #155 of 376
With the Nirvana, the umbilical cord does not detach from the power supply but it does from the head unit.

- It does on mine :wink:
Okay, i just didn’t mess with it enough yet. Guess I’ll take another look.

mine doesn’t have detachable connector

3D74970B-A6CA-4B05-B144-C630C0A698FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #162 of 376
Nice, so you like the Nirvana more than the Kenzie Ovation? I just looked at the back of my Nirvana, it shows as "Nirvana II". Maybe I've got an updated version.

Correct. Ovation was a major disappointment for me while Nirvana plays wonderfully. They don't really have any upgraded version of Nirvana, just some cosmetic changes...

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #165 of 376
Honestly, it seems like the amp to get in that price range along with Feliks AE and keep the one that suits its owner better. I must have missed the part about power supply, so I don't even know if it's got a separate one, even though a post from fellow headfier here recently indicates that it does, who knows...update...looking at the website, it certainly appears to have a separate PSU.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back