AURALiC owners unite!
Jul 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #46 of 2,392
Quote:
So ardilla, you just listen to HE-500 in STD mode, have you tried balanced or know of any who has ? Maybe  I shall go for a Taurus mk. I instead of MK. II. If mk I is so good with He-500, the new tuning in mk.II could be a bad thing 
triportsad.gif
 . The problem is also that there are not so many Taurus around, so we´ll maybe never hear from a guy who has tested both mk. I and II. Ardilla please take one for the team 
wink_face.gif

I have tried several phones in balanced mode. I usually prefer it in STD mode - it is more smooth - BAL is foten a bit more "edgy" - but then I like it somewhat smooth - and others definetly would prefer otherwise. 

Yup - for the HE-500 i'lI bet the new tuning isn't necessarily postitive, but I feel the Taurus could be tuned even better for the Audezes. But then I would have it MORE warmish and not less, as they said from Auralic... Maybe they meant less dark/brighter. To me "warm" is about forward mids and mid-bass. But how the mkII sounds I can only guess, of course. 

Of course I'll check out the mkII for the team, pm me for my address and I'll listen to it with my magic ears and give you the truth about it ,)

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #47 of 2,392
Good to know that you will help us
beerchug.gif

I think I like the same sound signature as you, the more smooth approach. So could be worth saving the money going balanced cable. I think I stick with my HE-500 and have no intention of buying a Audeze, so the new tuning is not that important to me.    

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #48 of 2,392
Quote:
Good to know that you will help us
beerchug.gif

I think I like the same sound signature as you, the more smooth approach. So could be worth saving the money going balanced cable. I think I stick with my HE-500 and have no intention of buying a Audeze, so the new tuning is not that important to me.    

Well - in that case - I can tell you that if someone put a gun to my head making me choose between which rig to keep the HE500 and the Taurus mkI is my present choice in this very likely, but hypothetical situation. It is resolved and engaging, the best all rounder I have heard, well, the Leben CS300XS is a tad better - I might keep that instead, but then, the Taurus is really very close. (sorry about mentioning the Leben - couldn't help it... ;P )

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #49 of 2,392
Heard a lot of good things about the Leben, but some guys in here mention a hum when using some phones, so that would worry me. Great retro design though, I would love to hear the little fellow.

Have you tried play around with power cables ? I got more clear sound with more black bacground when I pluged Nordost Blue Heaven in my DAC and headamp. I also have two Qv2 AC line Harmonizer from nordost, some would say pure "snakeoil", but for me it gives bigger and more analog sound. Maybe Nordost is too expensive and some say to clinical sounding, but IMO worth cheking out if you can borrow from a dealer with a good powerbase. My impression is that Nordost has changed for the better with the Leif series, a more balanced sound but still very detailed and fast. Well cables discussion is a mine field, don´t want to start a war here, just saying there could be an upgrade for some people there with more clean power.      

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #50 of 2,392
well guys, just got my replacement in :) auralic Customer service is top notch. mr. wang sent a replacement immediately after hearing my issue and asked to to fedex it back to them foc on my part :)

mr. wang is great at answering every question i have no matter how noobish it seemed :) thx!

anyway i am using LCD3  and the preliminary  sound test that i have is as below

XLR is abit edgy(can be ear piercing on certian songs) but extremely detailed and blew the soundstage wide open
TRS is smoother but soundstage seems narrower

base impact for the XLR is amazing :) punchy and fast

will let u guys know more as i burn in alittle more :)

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #54 of 2,392
I think I will keep an eye out for an used Taurus mk. 1 within Europe the next months, don´t want to pay all that extra VAT /import tax from outside. Or just buy a new one, we´ll see 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #55 of 2,392
My auralic taurus mkII arriving next week. Will pair it with Violectric V800 Dac to start with, and kind of excited with regard to how these two ladies fit each other.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #56 of 2,392
I've had the original MK I in my setup for a while, and really loved it. Recently sent it in and got the MK II instead, since it makes no sense to review an outgoing model. So far I can say my fears about MK II being overly bright are unfounded. It may have a bit more top end detail, or sparkle, but I don't feel like it fundamentally changes the Taurus sound signature at all.

I'm sure there could be someone who is very treble sensitive and found the original to be just perfect. That person may not appreciate the slight changes in the MKII. But for most people I'd say it's not an issue whatsoever. I still enjoy my HD800 on it, which is a headphone I do in fact find bright with the wrong amplification.

I just got the MKII in this week so obviously I need a lot more time for listening. Full review for InnerFidelity when I'm ready.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #57 of 2,392
We´re looking forward to reading your review project86 always a pleasure, I hope HifiMan He-500 will be part of that review 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #59 of 2,392

There is a review of the Taurus mkII in Tone Audio p 108

http://www.tonepublications.com/magazine/issue-57/

Seems like he really enjoyed the Taurus. It says MKII but the pic of the internals, and the description on page 225, is of the original Taurus. MKII doesn't need the heatsinks due to the redesign. The other pics are all of the MKII. I wonder which model he really had? 

Also, I wonder where I can get a Grado GS500 as listed in the box showing his review gear? 

I'm teasing though, and I largely agree with the review. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #60 of 2,392

Seems like he really enjoyed the Taurus. It says MKII but the pic of the internals, and the description on page 225, is of the original Taurus. MKII doesn't need the heatsinks due to the redesign. The other pics are all of the MKII. I wonder which model he really had? 

Also, I wonder where I can get a Grado GS500 as listed in the box showing his review gear? 

I'm teasing though, and I largely agree with the review. 

Where's your source on the mkII not having heatsinks?

Here is the Tone Audio Taurus internal pic:

Here is a 6moons internal pics of the Taurus mkI

Source: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/auralic4/2.html

From what I gaher, the most visible difference is the metal cases/shielding, not the heatsink removal... Actually, the mkII (the Tone Audio pic) seems to have more heatsinks than the mkI (small ones on the left), unless 6moons unscrewed them, of course. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back