AURALiC owners unite!
Mar 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #16 of 2,392
Quote:
Ardilla, seriously. When you talked me into getting Sennheiser HD 650 and I laughed at how poor they were after testing them for a few hours, you went completely bananas and told me, I mean shouted at me, that I had to take my time with them, and that they would grow on me. I did as you said and later had to withdraw all my negative comments about them, and publicly declare that I had been wrong about my initial impressions in the Norwegian Head-fi forums. As you know I adore HD 650 today. You taught me a lesson there, but now you're doing the exact same thing!

You've been auditioning TAURUS in a store a couple of times, but for how long? Half an hour? You don't declare if the unit was hot, what DAC was used, which headphones, if it was run in single ended or balanced mode or what you mean about it being bright. Bright compared to what? Come on, man! This isn't very bright of you, and you know it!

(But I still love you <3)

popcorn.gif

OK Ardilla... What do you say....

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #17 of 2,392
This thread should be renamed "The Ardilla & Norway love spat". 
size]
 Quite entertaining exchange!

I'm sort of interested in the Auralic from the information I've been reading. Even looking at the power amp option for driving me HE-6s 
size]
 but more for future 2-ch consideration before moving into a new home this fall.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 2,392
Quote:
Ardilla, seriously.......................... You don't declare if the unit was hot, what DAC was used, which headphones, if it was run in single ended or balanced mode or what you mean about it being bright. Bright compared to what? Come on, man! This isn't very bright of you, and you know it!

(But I still love you <3)

Calm, down , I am not saying anything bad about the Taurus.)  I din't say the Taurus is bright. I said I couldn't agree that it is UNBRIGHT. I've compared it to the Mjolnir and V200. The Auralic is clearly more bright than the V200, which is known to be on the warmer side. Using the LCD-3, HE500 and HD650 I cannot say i found the Auralic to be less bright than the V200 or the Mjolnir. 

The balanced mode felt brighter than the normal mode. I really like the option to swap betwen those modes to tune the sound just a tad. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 2,392
Quote:

Guess why.... .P

Hey Ardilla,
Is your avatar a picture of yourself? If it does not work out with Norway, give me a call.
wink_face.gif

JK -- I am happily married.

Now can we please get more DAC impressions?!

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 2,392
Quote:
Calm, down , I am not saying anything bad about the Taurus.)  I din't say the Taurus is bright. I said I couldn't agree that it is UNBRIGHT. I've compared it to the Mjolnir and V200. The Auralic is clearly less bright than the V200, which now to be on the warmer side. 

The balanced mode felt brighter than the normal mode. I really like the option to swap betwen those modes to tune the sound just a tad. 

Nope, that was not what the context of the conversation was. I said Taurus wasn't bright, you said you couldn't agree it was unbright. That implies that you think it is bright, which is OK!

Quote:
Yes, and according to 6moons interview with AURALiC their TAURUS PRE is brighter than TAURUS (which is not bright).

Quote:
Having auditioned the Taurus (not the pre)  twice, I cannot really agrree with you on the Taurus being unbright, though. The reason for the PRE being brighter is that it's meant to serve as a pre - and a good pre for speakers needs to have more emphasis on the high frequency beacuse the sound needs to move through more air - which filters the higer freqencies....

I'm calm, but this is serious business. We're talking about a company's very first serious presentation on the worlds biggest head-fi forum, and you come bouncing around with almost 4k posts and start slashing out light judgements based on very little experience with the product.

Can't argue with your opinions, but think it's important that people who come out with something which can be perceived as negative this early on, at least has the courtesy to disclose more information about other variables in the setup. Also, I'd never go on a rant like this at anybody but you in here. Only doing it as I've known you for a long time.

Still you have not told us what DAC and headphones you were using, if it was warmed up and exactly how much time you spent with it. I don't care if you think it is bright, but at least disclose what you used.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #22 of 2,392
Quote:
This thread should be renamed "The Ardilla & Norway love spat". 
size]
 Quite entertaining exchange!

I'm sort of interested in the Auralic from the information I've been reading. Even looking at the power amp option for driving me HE-6s 
size]
 but more for future 2-ch consideration before moving into a new home this fall.

Sorry about the way this turned out, lol. We're used to go after each other through emails and on a small forum where we have more posts than there are active head-fiers... :)

Maybe ardilla tried Taurus with HE-6? I've only seen what 6moons wrote about it. Considering getting a pair of speakers myself, but live in a flat right now and wouldn't like to bother my dear neighbours. Probably getting some cheap studio monitors for my desktop soon though, and plan on hooking those up.

Quote:
Now can we please get more DAC impressions?!

I will be posting some reviews of the combo together with my various headphones as soon as I've had some more time with it, if I find the time I will also use Grace Design m903 as a DAC and compare that to ARK MX+ on the Taurus. Sorry I can't come up with something more meaty right now.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #23 of 2,392
Quote:

Sorry about the way this turned out, lol. We're used to go after each other through emails and on a small forum where we have more posts than there are active head-fiers... :)

Maybe ardilla tried Taurus with HE-6? I've only seen what 6moons wrote about it. Considering getting a pair of speakers myself, but live in a flat right now and wouldn't like to bother my dear neighbours. Probably getting some cheap studio monitors for my desktop soon though, and plan on hooking those up.

I will be posting some reviews of the combo together with my various headphones as soon as I've had some more time with it, if I find the time I will also use Grace Design m903 as a DAC and compare that to ARK MX+ on the Taurus. Sorry I can't come up with something more meaty right now.

looking forward to it!

May 3, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #26 of 2,392
Are there any reports on how well Taurus goes with HiFiMan HE-500 ? I have just downgraded from HE-6, for my taste it was too bright and too difficult to find the right amp combo to play right with. I like my Swedish Harmony Design XLR amp, but suspect I will get more out of HE-500 with a more powerful amp and if I go balanced mode. Have kept an eye on the Auralic products, but only think they are selling in a store in Norway and not here in Denmark, so can´t find a place to hear them at the moment.     

May 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #27 of 2,392
The HE500 and Taurus is a FABOLOUS combo. If I should recommend a phone for the Taurus, it'd be the HE500. Only amp that betters the Taurus might be the Leben. HE500 is better with Taurus than Mjolnir IMO, and HE500 is better on the Taurus than the HE6. Owning a Taurus without the HE500 should be considered a criminal offence. Seriously. Hope it helps ,)

Quote:
Are there any reports on how well Taurus goes with HiFiMan HE-500 ? I have just downgraded from HE-6, for my taste it was too bright and too difficult to find the right amp combo to play right with. I like my Swedish Harmony Design XLR amp, but suspect I will get more out of HE-500 with a more powerful amp and if I go balanced mode. Have kept an eye on the Auralic products, but only think they are selling in a store in Norway and not here in Denmark, so can´t find a place to hear them at the moment.     

May 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #28 of 2,392
Thanks for the very positive reply ardilla, do you work at Moiz in Oslo 
wink_face.gif
?. What did you like so much about the combo if I may ask, did it give HE-500 a larger sound stage and deeper bass or what made it sing so well together with Taurus? I could wish for a wider sound stage with HE-500 and maybe a little less forward sound, but don´t know if HE-500 just sounds like that way with all amps  
rolleyes.gif
. HE-6 was better that way, but its overall balance was not my cup of tea.     

May 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #29 of 2,392
What do you mean? Do I sound overly positive?? :p

Seriously, if you like the HE500, it really shines wit the T. What have you been driving your HE500 with so far?
Quote:
Thanks for the very positive reply ardilla, do you work at Moiz in Oslo 
wink_face.gif
?. What did you like so much about the combo if I may ask, did it give HE-500 a larger sound stage and deeper bass or what made it sing so well together with Taurus? I could wish for a wider sound stage with HE-500 and maybe a little less forward sound, but don´t know if HE-500 just sounds like that way with all amps  
rolleyes.gif
. HE-6 was better that way, but its overall balance was not my cup of tea.     

May 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 2,392
Quote:
The HE500 and Taurus is a FABOLOUS combo.... Owning a Taurus without the HE500 should be considered a criminal offence. Seriously. 

Well if this is not overly positive, I would love to see you get excited about something 
biggrin.gif
. I´m using the 1000 euro Harmony Design XLR ELMA headamp.  The amp is very neutral, with XLR input not XLR out and it gives a clear detailed sound because of the 24 step ELMA volume control. I never turn it louder than 1 o´clock. So the amp is pretty good, but suspect that I would gain even more from using the 4 Watt Taurus. I was just curious to know what in your mind made the He-500/ Taurus combo so criminally fabolous.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back