Feb 11, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,113 of 2,392
Auralic Taurus mk2 arriving Friday morning 
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #1,114 of 2,392
Feb 12, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,115 of 2,392

Auralic Taurus mk2 arriving Friday morning 
biggrin.gif

wat hp's are u gonna pair it with? 

HD600 & 650 & T1.  I ordered a balanced xlr cable for the HD6xx & the same guy is making an adapter : 1/4 to xlr so I can use the T1s in the balanced jack.  He's using cardas cable.  I can't afford to have the T1s fully re-cabled into a balanced mode so that will have to do. That way I can still use them with 1/4 jack amps. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,118 of 2,392

HD600 & 650 & T1.  I ordered a balanced xlr cable for the HD6xx & the same guy is making an adapter : 1/4 to xlr so I can use the T1s in the balanced jack.  He's using cardas cable.  I can't afford to have the T1s fully re-cabled into a balanced mode so that will have to do. That way I can still use them with 1/4 jack amps. 

Such headphones will sound better on the balanced port. Be sure to use it. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,119 of 2,392

Thanks for the tip.  That's why I ordered the cables.  I want to get the best sound possible (translation : "I can afford") out of this amp.  

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,120 of 2,392

Which HPs do you use with yours ?

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,122 of 2,392

I'd say be sure to try both whenever you can - you might find you prefer one over the other for each different headphone, or sometimes even for different genres. 

Good to know.  Thanks project86.  I don't have a balanced amp at the present moment (mk2 coming in tomorrow) but, you're right, I will switch HPs for example depending on the music/production, etc. I'm listening to.  For example, when I listen to the album Midnite Vultures by Beck I can listen to it with the HD650 and not only pick up every single nuance & detail but there is lushness which encapsulates the sound as a whole which my other two HPs cannot give me.  On other recordings I'll use the T1s so as to get the most out every treble sound which seem to roll off to early or get lost/somewhat burried in the background with  the HD6xx. etc. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,123 of 2,392
I remember reading a review a while back on the Taurus MkII (I think it was project86's?) where he mentioned the amp sounded different between the singled ended TRS jack and the balanced jack, and even preferred some aspects of the SE sound.  I thought pshaw, no way.  

But then I went to demo the amp, and yep, there were definitely distinct characteristics with each output, with the SE not automatically / necessarily inferior to balanced (unlike the current findings / discussions in the Rag thread).  This was maybe a year ago, so not sure if Auralic has modded current production runs in any way.

Definitely opened my eyes and eliminated a SE / balanced default bias I held for a long time.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,124 of 2,392
My Cavalli LAu and Taurus MkI are now set up side by side for some serious solid state playoff this weekend. Notes to follow on Sunday. :)

It will be interesting to see if the LAu is as great as a combo with HD800s as the Taurus is.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,125 of 2,392

Which HPs do you use with yours ?

Im using Hifiman HE6 with it via the Single ended Outputs. I find the single ended output to sound better than the balanced output for the HE6 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back