AURALiC owners unite!
Jul 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #797 of 2,392
  Quote:

I've separated them for the moment, took the 1540s to work, but I'll introduce them to each other over the next day or so and post some impressions. I can only imagine it's glorious.

Sweet that would be great!  Thank you, sir!

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #798 of 2,392
Some impressions about the srh1540 on Taurus. In and of itself it sounds great. The heavy bass can make the mids feel recessed at times, but not massively. For me it really sings with hard rock and spacier prog rock. Blues and blues rock also holds up really well. It suffers a little when there’s a wall of sound (ie choruses, or too many guitar tracks) – in those moments the bass can feel like a constant hum beneath the music. The Taurus does tame that compared to other amps I’ve tried the 1540s with, but its still there to some extent. That’s a limitation of the shures rather than the Taurus. That said, clear punchy bass notes (bass guitar solos, kick drums) are all very clear and have great extension and impact, good physical sensation.
Up against the Senn 650s, they don’t compare well…the 650s are night and day better. This may be the inherent open/closed difference, so take my comments with a pinch of salt. I don’t have much experience with closed cans. The Senns are crystal clear, still warm and punchy, but so much more refined. The soundstage on the Senns is much better on the front-back and up-down planes. To my ears the 1540 has a narrow ellipsoid soundstage that extends deep to left and right, but centrally is definitely ‘in’ the head.
That all said, I’ve now had the shures on for half an hour and enjoying it thoroughly (also the wife approves heartily compared to my Audezes…) but when a more complex track comes on I hanker for open cans.
All in all, the Taurus makes them a lot more refined, which is to be expected i guess. No doubt as they clock more hours it will improve. If you’re on the edge about the Taurus I’d say go for it. Unless it sprouts legs and murders me in my sleep, I won’t be regretting taking the plunge any time soon.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #800 of 2,392
I'm really interested how Taurus MK2 compares to other top tier SS amps out there. I've searched but found nothing.
Will appreciate some comments on this subject.

Which amps do you consider top tier and would like to hear comparison against?

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #803 of 2,392
  I haven't heard those newer models, but I'd say the Taurus mkII holds up rather well compared to their predecessors - the original GSX and the Audio GD Phoenix. Of those three, I'd take Taurus, then GSX, then Phoenix (which is saying a lot, I do like the Phoenix quite a bit). 

Hmm... very interesting, thank you.
Maybe I will try a Taurus MK2 if I have a chance.
Unfortunately today nobody imports those in my country....

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #804 of 2,392
Hi.

Are any VEGA owners able to use the exact clock mode without any dropouts?  If so, can you skip around different tracks at different resolutions and formats (FLAC, DSF, etc) without dropouts?  Even after letting a 24bit FLAC file run on repeat for hours I can't then skip around tracks of different sample rates without getting some dropouts.  I understand that this is likely related to jitter.  This happens with both a mac/audrivana as source with a AQ Diamond USB cable as well as with an Antipodes DX server   http://www.antipodesaudio.com/antipodes_music_servers.html  as the source which markets itself as extremely low jitter.

If you are able to lock into exact mode without dropouts, please tell me what source you are using and what USB cable.

thank you!

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #805 of 2,392
  Hi.

Are any VEGA owners able to use the exact clock mode without any dropouts?  If so, can you skip around different tracks at different resolutions and formats (FLAC, DSF, etc) without dropouts?  Even after letting a 24bit FLAC file run on repeat for hours I can't then skip around tracks of different sample rates without getting some dropouts.  I understand that this is likely related to jitter.  This happens with both a mac/audrivana as source with a AQ Diamond USB cable as well as with an Antipodes DX server   http://www.antipodesaudio.com/antipodes_music_servers.html  as the source which markets itself as extremely low jitter.

If you are able to lock into exact mode without dropouts, please tell me what source you are using and what USB cable.

thank you!

Waking from sleep mode I do get a few dropouts, but after 5-10mins or so they cease altogether. This is just using some no name USB cable and my desktop PC, which is fairly powerful but not at all optimised for music playback. From memory I did set up long buffers in Foobar and in the Vega driver settings, which may help. Pretty much all of my music is FLAC CD rips, so I can't comment on switching between formats and whether that has any deleterious effects.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #807 of 2,392

Unless the cable is faulty, I can't see how that could be an issue in supplying a digital signal (but let's not go there).

I was having the same issue using Media Monkey - drop outs all over the place. I then switched to Windows Media Player as a test and found that I now only get one or two drop outs in the first minute or so. I have also maxed out the buffer setting in the Vega driver software on my laptop.

I'd suggest trying different software applications for your music server - some seem to work better with the Vega than others.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #808 of 2,392
  Hi.

thank you!

no dropouts after 1 or 2 min also here, both from cold (after 1h or so, when exact is available in the menu) and from standby. I'm using a WireWorld Starlight 7 usb cable + iPurifier , the pc is a fully dedicated and optimized netbook (Asus EEE 1011PX with 2GB mem).

what I discovered is that dropouts are not so related to what the pc is doing, I can have a perfect exact lock even when the netbook is 100% occupied (doing a realtime conversion for example), and instead have few dropouts when the pc is doing nothing but playing music at 10% occupacy.

another interesting thing I discovered, power supply (to the pc AND to the Vega) is most important. before I installed the main filter, I very often got dropouts with certain fs (like 96 or 192). with the filter installed (a nemic lambda mxb 1230-33) much less to no dropouts at all.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #809 of 2,392
I just signed up to borrow the AURALiC Taurus mkII from The Cable Company's "Headphone Lending Library" program (http://www.thecableco.com/Product/NEW-Headphone-Lending-Library).  I have been eyeing this product for awhile now.  Given all the rave reviews, I figure it's time to check it out and see if I can justify the performance increase over what I currently have (this would be an end game amp for me).  I will post impressions after I've had enough time to listen to it and compare it to my current main rig which is the BifrostUber/Asgard 2 combo.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #810 of 2,392
After owning an Ark MX+ since a year, I pull the trigger on a Vega. Definitly hard to wait !

I owned for 6 months a Taurus MKII. For me, it was one of the best SS amp under 2000€, really versatile even with sensitive iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back