AURALiC owners unite!
May 25, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #691 of 2,398
  My Heed Obelisk PRE/PS/PX stereo amp drove HE-6 really really well, but guess it´s not the answer your are looking for 
biggrin.gif

I got a mail from "Blue Coast Music" with offers on some nice relaxing jazz music (in DSD I presume ??), but not sure which format to buy for the Vega. Can it play both DFF 2.8Mhz and DSF 2.8Mhz, can´t find any info in manual. So I ask here first before I spam Auralic.  

From the Interweb "DSF and DFF are 'kinds' of audio files that are delivered as downloads or read by software for playback. DSF has the ability to hold metadata and DFF doesn't, however, some players only read DFF files." 
confused.gif

http://cavamenziesnickphillips.downloadsnow.net/moment-to-moment     

Auralic Vega supports DSD64 and DSD128, that's the sampling rate format, the DSF/DFF files are just containers.

So yes, it will play it no problem.

May 26, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #694 of 2,398
  Engineering truth: more acronyms = job security.

Definitely.

I start computer programming at a company which used IBM mainframes, and soon after I started, a program which I ran failed with some thing like:

Execution Error Code 57206738

So, I asked a co-worker what that meant, and he pointed me to a giant shelf of IBM books listing all the error codes.  When I finally found 57206738, it said:

Program terminated due to insufficient disk space to write data.

A lot of job security silliness involved with that. :D

May 26, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #695 of 2,398
  So I finally got my new Taurus MKII amp to go with my Vega DAC which I got last month.
This is the first time I've had the chance to use my LCD-3's in balanced mode. All I can say is "incredible", "stunning", "awesome".

A couple of weeks ago, I had almost decided to buy the Cavalli Audio LAu, even though it was well over my budget.
I'm sure I would have loved it, but I have absolutely no regrets buying the Taurus now. I managed to get an ex-demo unit at almost 1/2 price, so compared to the LAu, I have spent less than a 1/3 of what the LAu would have cost me. And I'm loving it.

cheers
Shaka

Hi I am like you and almost was ready to pull the trigger on a Cavalli Liquid Gold, until I read Project86's review on the Taurus MKII. A while back, I purchased a Concero HD and Violectric V200 based on his reviews. I also have the Audeze LCD3.

Here is my question. How do you control the volume with the Taurus/Vega combination? Is there a volume pass through on the Vega such that you use the Taurus for volume control? Or is the Vega like the BenchMark DAC2 which has a "home theater bypass" mode  such that the incoming signal is processed via the VEGA and sent to the Taurus bypassing the amplification portion of the vega? Does that make sense or am I making this TO COMPLEX… 
confused.gif

One more stupid question. Is it just me…. but I get the feeling that Auralic products are not written much about (kind of ignored) on Head-fi…. on computer audiophile … they are a BIG DEAL. 

One last thing. I thought the VEGA might be overkill for me since I am only a head phone guy and would not be using it in a 200K (not that I could afford that)  speaker system…. I bet you love it with our Audeze LCD3…. yes?

Thanks
Joe

May 27, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #696 of 2,398

One more stupid question. Is it just me…. but I get the feeling that Auralic products are not written much about (kind of ignored) on Head-fi…. on computer audiophile … they are a BIG DEAL. 

There are 2 pretty good reasons for that.

1) Neither is the most expensive piece of gear out there, but likely above the range of both the average buyer and first-time buyers.
The Vega is somewhere between 2-6x the cost of most DACs that are considered to be pretty good.
The Taurus is 2-3x the cost of many headphone amps that are considered to be pretty good.
You don't typically spend that kind of money on gear unless you can compare it to something that costs somewhere in the same neighborhood AND convince yourself it's worth the premium than gear that's a lot cheaper.

2) Their distribution is relatively limited.
IIRC, their North American distributor didn't come online until relatively recently and that happened after they had terminated the distribution agreement with the previous one. It's hard to get word of mouth out there when people haven't played with it.

May 27, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #697 of 2,398

1) Neither is the most expensive piece of gear out there, but likely above the range of both the average buyer and first-time buyers.
The Vega is somewhere between 2-6x the cost of most DACs that are considered to be pretty good.
The Taurus is 2-3x the cost of many headphone amps that are considered to be pretty good.
You don't typically spend that kind of money on gear unless you can compare it to something that costs somewhere in the same neighborhood AND convince yourself it's worth the premium than gear that's a lot cheaper.

IIRC, their North American distributor didn't come online until relatively recently and that happened after they had terminated the distribution agreement with the previous one. It's hard to get word of mouth out there when people haven't played with it.

I'm not a rich person (yet) and in my country, I'm considered to make less than the 'average' monthly income which is about 7000-8000 ILS, but I manage to get things that are considered high-end. It's not about how much a person makes, it's about prioritizing! (And find a way to live comfortably) After you get an overdraft in the bank or bank loans because of debts, you start to understand how to live better than a person who can't handle a little financial stress :D

May 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #698 of 2,398

I'm not a rich person (yet) and in my country, I'm considered to make less than the 'average' monthly income which is about 7000-8000 ILS, but I manage to get things that are considered high-end. It's not about how much a person makes, it's about prioritizing! (And find a way to live comfortably) After you get an overdraft in the bank or bank loans because of debts, you start to understand how to live better than a person who can't handle a little financial stress :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not worth it (haven't listened to either) or it's too expensive (that's in the eye of the beholder). I'm just saying it's probably above the sight-unseen impulse buy range for most people.It's priced in the range where you'll want to try before you buy, have a solid return policy in place, or at least have something else to compare it to that is vaguely similar in price.

May 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #699 of 2,398
I do see a slight issue for AURALiC - people who can afford a $3500 DAC (Vega) can also possibly afford a $5k or $7k DAC as well. So which one do they go for? Some make the wise choice and actually buy the one that serves their needs, sounds best in their system, has the right features, etc. Others just go for the name brand prestige or bragging rights based on price. 

I've spoken to designers in the past who essentially told me they had raise prices on their speakers or amps or whatever, in order to be taken seriously by the target market. Apparently a very high quality set of monoblocks at $2200 or some excellent full range speakers at $4500 (random examples) do not command enough respect. So they double or triple the prices and somehow sales actually increase! Audiophiles are weird. 

May 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #700 of 2,398
  I do see a slight issue for AURALiC - people who can afford a $3500 DAC (Vega) can also possibly afford a $5k or $7k DAC as well. So which one do they go for? Some make the wise choice and actually buy the one that serves their needs, sounds best in their system, has the right features, etc. Others just go for the name brand prestige or bragging rights based on price. 

I've spoken to designers in the past who essentially told me they had raise prices on their speakers or amps or whatever, in order to be taken seriously by the target market. Apparently a very high quality set of monoblocks at $2200 or some excellent full range speakers at $4500 (random examples) do not command enough respect. So they double or triple the prices and somehow sales actually increase! Audiophiles are weird. 

This is actually true for all luxury hobby, like if a second hand ferrari goes on sale for $10000 people will just think that's a scam....

And the fact that AURALiC is a Chinese firm might also be a consideration for some, like "paying $3500 for a Chinese DAC or a $8000 for a established brand in Europe or the US", most people will go for the second route if they can spend such an amount on audio

May 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #701 of 2,398
It's true there is some geographic biases at play. By now, some of us (perhaps most of us around here?) know that Chinese firms can make exceptional gear. As can those based in Italy, or Brazil, or USA, or wherever. They can also make garbage no matter where they are fome. It's not the country that matters so much, but each individual company and the talent involved on their roster. I don't know if the general audiophile at large is as open minded as those of us here. 

May 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #702 of 2,398

John, I couldnt agree more with what you've typed, We really are a strange breed, and the subject of derision from almost every other quarter with the possible exception of camera fanatics (many of whom are audiophiles and videophiles so maybe that doesnt count !). I had to set an upper limit when I started my little spending spree a few weeks back simply because I knew I'd be like a kid in a candy store with money in my pocket and that meant Hugo over Vega, Taurus over GS-X and about 5 pairs of expensive dynamic cans over a Stax rig  :wink:

I'm confident that neither the Hugo nor the Taurus will prove to be mere FOTMs but I guess that's a call I'll have to revisit in 12 months time.

(FWIW, an electrical storm seems to have fried my Oppo BDP-105D's boot sequence and that ticks me off at the price I paid for it - big lump to have to box up and send away - but I would be seriously miffed it that had been a 3500 dollar DAC. We all have our limits)

May 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #703 of 2,398
The point you're discussing there reminds me of one of my favourite print ads, a disarmingly honest Stella Artois ad that depicted an icy glass of said beer and simply stated "Stella Artois, reassuringly expensive".

May 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #704 of 2,398

John, I couldnt agree more with what you've typed, We really are a strange breed, and the subject of derision from almost every other quarter with the possible exception of camera fanatics (many of whom are audiophiles and videophiles so maybe that doesnt count !). I had to set an upper limit when I started my little spending spree a few weeks back simply because I knew I'd be like a kid in a candy store with money in my pocket and that meant Hugo over Vega, Taurus over GS-X and about 5 pairs of expensive dynamic cans over a Stax rig  :wink:

I'm confident that neither the Hugo nor the Taurus will prove to be mere FOTMs but I guess that's a call I'll have to revisit in 12 months time.

(FWIW, an electrical storm seems to have fried my Oppo BDP-105D's boot sequence and that ticks me off at the price I paid for it - big lump to have to box up and send away - but I would be seriously miffed it that had been a 3500 dollar DAC. We all have our limits)

I think it's great. Where else could companies like Yulong or Audio GD be taken as seriously as they deserve? 

Side note: I'd invest in some decent power protection if you haven't already done so. It's not such a big deal when you have a $350 DAC and a $500 amp or something like that..... but with a Hugo and Taurus and Oppo on deck, the value is high enough to be worth protecting. I don't necessarily mean spending big bucks on a PS Audio P10 or anything, and definitely stay away from the Richard Grey Power Company type gear (most of which are improperly designed from a protection standpoint anyway). But maybe something from APC or Furman or another company with real engineering behind them. It won't kill your sound quality as some audiophiles suggest, unless maybe you have some big monoblock amps involved, then it could be a problem. An APC H15 is a good place to start I'd say - under $300, lots of filtering and protection, and even voltage regulation too. It's got most of the features of my $1500 APC S15 but without the big price tag. 

May 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #705 of 2,398
  It's true there is some geographic biases at play. By now, some of us (perhaps most of us around here?) know that Chinese firms can make exceptional gear. As can those based in Italy, or Brazil, or USA, or wherever. They can also make garbage no matter where they are fome. It's not the country that matters so much, but each individual company and the talent involved on their roster. I don't know if the general audiophile at large is as open minded as those of us here. 

Yea, as someone from Hong Kong I am surprised by here about how I actually learnt the great brands in China from HeadFi! when I first step in this hobby I was using an HD650 and burson Soloist SL, and after 1 year it become HE500 with Taurus, which I enjoy a lot and consider it endgame!

My point is that for most people who have a lot of money, and have to buy things from the net, they will first search for the big names like Sennheiser, and then search form the internet about what might be comparable. Sadly the publicity and comparison of the AURALiC products are low and without proper comparison with other equipment in this price range (like the Bryston BHA-1 vs Taurus Mk II)

Hope AURALiC will solve this in the near future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back