AURALiC owners unite!
Mar 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #331 of 2,392
Those photos are a bit misleading just due to the heatsink issue. MKII moves away from all those individual heatsinks, instead using a large sink to cover a whole section. But no, there's no change from discrete to IC or anything drastic like that. Also, the MKII has the "walls" between sections where the original does not. Not sure how much that matters. I'll try to find a good pic of mine.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #333 of 2,392
Mar 18, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #338 of 2,392
Has anyone tried the Gemini yet? Just ordered from auralic direct. Can't wait!

I just got a Gemini 2000 in to play with. Man, this thing is no joke.... very physically imposing when seen (and lifted!) in person. Haven't yet had a chance to plug it in though. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #339 of 2,392
I am going to be getting myself Auralic Vega soon enough I just wanted to know before I pull the trigger how much of a difference it is vs something like matrix x-sabre

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #340 of 2,392
I guess I should say hi in this thread!
beerchug.gif

I'm very happy with my Vega! Taurus mkII is also very good, especially with HE-6. However for LCD-X I prefer HPA-21 every time. Vega + HPA-21 + LCD-X is my current end game. I wish everyone had a chance to listen to this excellent combo!

Still burning in the stuff, Vega has 720 hours now, Taurus around 500 hours. I guess I can stop burning pretty soon...
tongue.gif

I'll probably write a comparison between HPA-21 and Taurus at some time in the future.
  Happy Vega + Hilo (+ DA11) owner here!
I also bought Taurus mkII for fun, as a 2nd amp...
However I don't use my LCD-3 anymore, just LCD-X (and even HE-6 with Taurus).
I haven't listened to Hilo since I bought the Vega.

From my initial notes comparing the two DACs Hilo is a little bit more "blunt", in your face, more 2D.
Vega is more refined, maybe a little bit "thinner" sounding, builds a room with layers of details that you can listen to, but only if you want to. Vega is more 3D, has a wider soundstage, and has a more dynamic bass.

I prefer Taurus over my BHA-1, at least for headphones. As a preamp BHA-1 may be more transparent, hard to test with all switching of XLR cables...
I don't think Taurus has less treble than BHA-1, maybe Taurus has a little bit "fuller" sound though. I haven't compared the two amps that much.
Taurus has a sharper treble with more sibilance than my Bakoon HPA-21, my 1st amp. However Taurus is a very good amp, I can even listen to HE-6 with it, at least when adding some eq...

In the beginning I had problems with Vega having drop-outs with the clock set to exact. After trimming my old laptop for music I almost never have a drop-out, it mostly happens when changing sampling frequency. You should always use the exact clock mode. One of the best things with Vega (as well as with HPA-21) is that it sounds so good with ordinary 16/44 material.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #341 of 2,392
I will very soon have my own Vega to complete my Auralic stack, very excited. Now to figure out what to do with my PWDACII with network bridge...

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #342 of 2,392
LOL that was quick :p

Got a good price i assume? :p

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #343 of 2,392
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #345 of 2,392
  Is there much difference between Auralic Taurus and MKII ?
In my contry they are only selling the first version.

As it turns out in my country also they are only selling the mk1 version of the Taurus new. I am very interested in buying this but also concerned if I would be getting the "old" version with less performance. My dealer here who I trust says that the factory has only just offered the mk2  for sale here as my country is 220v they claim the new version is nearly identical and the changes are in regard to the 110v markets. I am about to get it to use primarily with my HD800 and T1's. I plan to add the HE560 when it becomes available. Anyone here with experience using the Taurus with any of those headphones please share your thoughts. I almost went for the cma800r instead but too many people suggested it was only on the level of the Taurus with the HD800's. So...I am moments away from pulling the trigger on the Taurus mk1 since I would have to import the mk2 and as a result pay a much higher price in import duty and taxes. Anyone care to talk me out of it now is the time. I have tube amps but this would be my ss endgame (or so I would hope).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back