AURALiC owners unite!
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #2,251 of 2,392
Sorry for my lack of knowledge here . Could I connect my iPhone XR to the Taurus 2 headphone amp ? i am moving house soon and if this is an option the I am keen to investigate _ I would be looking primarily to steam tidal
Your Taurus MKii accepts analog inputs only, not digital, and your XR does not have a compatible analog output port to connect directly to your Taurus MKii. But, you have many options available for achieving the same result for only $15.

While I wouldn't buy them from Amazon, here are a couple of links to illustrate your options.

You can purchase this adapter that allows you to use wired headphones with your XR:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLG6KGJ/ref=psdc_2267280011_t3_B07JFTJFGJ

...and you can then use this connector to attach that same adapter to your Taurus MKii :
https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Shield...m+to+RCA&qid=1581464795&s=electronics&sr=1-12

There are much more elegant solutions available but the cost would start at around $300.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #2,252 of 2,392
Excellent thank you . I use my HEKs with my Iphone at present with the ifi micro `BL .
I think I already have one of the adapters shown so I will investigate this . When I move my Taurus was going to be sold but I may keep it to use with my iPhone .
thanks again

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #2,253 of 2,392
Excellent thank you . I use my HEKs with my Iphone at present with the ifi micro `BL .
I think I already have one of the adapters shown so I will investigate this . When I move my Taurus was going to be sold but I may keep it to use with my iPhone .
thanks again
Hang on!!! unless i missed something...

best to connect your iphone to your ifi micro bl (ie use the dac in there) and then connect the dual analogue output of the ifi micro bl to the dual analogue inputs of the taurus.

connect your iphone to the ifi using the apple camera connection kit (or whatever that adapter is called)

therefore the iphone is your source, the ifi is the dac and the taurus is your amp. No double amping going on

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #2,254 of 2,392
Hang on!!! unless i missed something...

best to connect your iphone to your ifi micro bl (ie use the dac in there) and then connect the dual analogue output of the ifi micro bl to the dual analogue inputs of the taurus.

connect your iphone to the ifi using the apple camera connection kit (or whatever that adapter is called)

therefore the iphone is your source, the ifi is the dac and the taurus is your amp. No double amping going on

That’s very helpful thank you . I did not think of this.

However I think I may want to simplify things by just using the iPhone with the Taurus .

Apparently the DAC in the iPhone adapter is quite good .

When I do move I am looking to reduce the clutter on my desk , so this is why I am looking to reduce boxes . However the Taurus does sound amazing so I will investigate your option. I think I already have all of the cables to do this

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #2,255 of 2,392
That’s very helpful thank you . I did not think of this.

However I think I may want to simplify things by just using the iPhone with the Taurus .

Apparently the DAC in the iPhone adapter is quite good .

When I do move I am looking to reduce the clutter on my desk , so this is why I am looking to reduce boxes . However the Taurus does sound amazing so I will investigate your option. I think I already have all of the cables to do this
I sometimes play my hekse straight our of my ipad and it’s great. Very enjoyable. Very underrate.
Obviously the taurus will sound better When compared next to it.

so IF the synergy is good for your preferences then the ifi should sound better than using just the iphone as the dac

you’ve got a few good options to play with

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #2,256 of 2,392
I sometimes play my hekse straight our of my ipad and it’s great. Very enjoyable. Very underrate.
Obviously the taurus will sound better When compared next to it.

so IF the synergy is good for your preferences then the ifi should sound better than using just the iphone as the dac

you’ve got a few good options to play with

Yes this is true. I originally thought i would probably sell the Taurus and just use the IFI Micro BL with my phone.
However I used my Taurus last night ,( albeit with my Devialet 200 so not a fair comparison I guess ) and the sound quality was very impressive. I had sort of stopped using the Taurus for the convenience of using the Phone and IFI , so I noticed quite a big improvement. So yeah now considering keeping it. I guess as you say I could use the Micro BL as a DAC with the Taurus. I would then not even have to buy the connectors as I have them all here.
Thanks again for the input.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2,257 of 2,392
Sorry for my lack of knowledge here . Could I connect my iPhone XR to the Taurus 2 headphone amp ? i am moving house soon and if this is an option the I am keen to investigate _ I would be looking primarily to steam tidal

You could in theory by purchasing a lightning to RCA cable or use a lightning to 3.5mm female cable connected to a 3.5mm male to RCA male cable.

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2,258 of 2,392
The balanced headphone output has better soundstage and dynamics. I understand that there is a fully separate topography, and when I have a headphone plugged in balanced, I get the different sound signature if I choose unbalanced output option (it still produces the sound via the balanced output, but with different characteristic).

But when I switch between the different inputs, with the same output, I hear no difference.
is there an agreement on this post from 18 months ago?

i ask as i am considering buying a second dac, the chord qutest (just for the for fun of it) which only has single ended outs

And i do prefer the balanced out heapdhone jacks on the taurus

hence wondering where balanced v single ended INPUTS sit relative to each other with the taurus mk11

tia

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,259 of 2,392
My only criticism of the Taurus is it takes about an hour to sound good . I know I could switch it on an hour before I listen, but that’s not always possible . Has anyone else noticed this ?

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #2,260 of 2,392
Could be your dac as well. For most dacs it is recommended to at least be left on standby at all times.

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #2,261 of 2,392
Could be your dac as well. For most dacs it is recommended to at least be left on standby at all times.
It’s fed from my Devialet amp which is left on most of the day as tv and everything plays through it .

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #2,263 of 2,392
It's the Orfeo modules that need to get up to temp.
Just leave the amp on all the time, powering it on and of all the time puts greater stress on the caps than leaving it on and you always have the best sound.

AURALiC ORFEO Class-A Output Module
Inspired by Neve 8078 analog console's circuit design, AURALiC developed ORFEO Class-A output module. The principle of this module is to use a mass of small signal components with best linear characteristic. By packing them though a thermal balance procedure and bias the transistors into Class-A, ORFEO achieves impressive performance with open loop distortion less than 0.001%. With such sophisticated module, TAURUS shares the same warm and natural sound with Neve 8078.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #2,264 of 2,392
Hi!

I hope everyone is safe during these days.

I recently acquired a LCD X headphones at a very nice price. I cannot find any articles that confiirms the output impedance of the SE and BAL of Taurus amp (still also waiting for the feedback of Auralic) and I am just wondering if its compatible since the recommended headphone impedance is from 32Ohms to 600Ohms and LCD X is rated 20OHms.

My questions are:

1. Since LCD X has lower impedance compared to the suggested impedance rating, will it result to a variation/alteration of the original frequency response of LCD X?
2. Supposed that the amp's output impedance is higher than the ideal amp impedance of LCD X (<2.5Ohms = 20Ohms / 8), what changes in sound will it be? less bass? muddy mids? piercing treble?

Thank you so much for your inputs.

Whill

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,265 of 2,392
Hi!

I hope everyone is safe during these days.

I recently acquired a LCD X headphones at a very nice price. I cannot find any articles that confiirms the output impedance of the SE and BAL of Taurus amp (still also waiting for the feedback of Auralic) and I am just wondering if its compatible since the recommended headphone impedance is from 32Ohms to 600Ohms and LCD X is rated 20OHms.

My questions are:

1. Since LCD X has lower impedance compared to the suggested impedance rating, will it result to a variation/alteration of the original frequency response of LCD X?
2. Supposed that the amp's output impedance is higher than the ideal amp impedance of LCD X (<2.5Ohms = 20Ohms / 8), what changes in sound will it be? less bass? muddy mids? piercing treble?

Thank you so much for your inputs.

Whill
“Output impedance is low enough not to be a factor—less than 1 ohm from the STD jack, and somewhere between 3 and 4 ohms from the BAL output.”
From
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/spectacularly-transparent-auralic-taurus-mkii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back