AURALiC owners unite!
Sep 29, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,236 of 2,392
20190928_175929.jpg

i've recently replaced my original vega with the newer G1 vega and an Aries G1. i planned to sell the Taurus mkii if the headphone socket on the Vega G1 approached the same level as the Taurus but sadly it doesn't come close. the music just comes alive with the Taurus as it has so much more energy and punch which leaves the Vega G1 output sounding a bit flat.
i also got hold of a mint pair of Audeze LCD-4 at a good price from a member of Head-fi and compared them to my LCD-3F.. the 4 is superior to the 3 as it sounds more poised with better control but there were times when i preferred the 3F on certain tracks. the margins were small despite the price difference of the 2 models but overall the LCD-4 is a step up.
with the sound difference between the headphone outputs of the Vega G1 and the Taurus mkii it starts to make sense of the reviews from some quarters regarding the LCD-4 where some describe it as laid back and relaxed on rock music, if it was heard through the Vega G1 output i would say they had a point but when heard driven by a dedicated headphone amp like the Taurus they have superb drive and impact. maybe they need to be heard through a better matched amp than some have auditioned them with to hear how capable they really are.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #2,237 of 2,392
Hi all, I just experienced a problem on my Taurus Mk II bought 5 years ago.

I've been always pairing it with my Hifiman HE-500 for listening, as a result my volume nob was left mostly untouched on around 8 O'clock position. as today I have switched on the dac and amp, but with absolutly no music playing from my source computer. I try turn the volume pot a bit and some minor steps or gritty feels at 11-12 o'clock, then I try turn from zero to full to see if there's any kicks, all in a sudden at around 2 O'clock position my right channel have a very loud pop and I quickly turn it down.

After all that I tried my usual listening position and luckily it works fine and don't appear to have any problem.

Any expert can share their opinion on this and if it will have any problem with my amp?

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #2,239 of 2,392
Got my Ether 2 and Taurus mk ii at the same time and I'm absolutely loving this combo!

Open, Dynamic, Tight, None Fatiguing etc.. you name it, it's got it!

KakaoTalk_Photo_2019-12-10-21-14-01.jpeg

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #2,241 of 2,392
Anybody knows what formatting is used for an internal ssd in a Auralic device.
As far as I can tell, it's an Auralic proprietary format.
You won't be able to remove the drive and then access the contents directly. I'm just assuming that's what you were attempting.
When the drive is mounted internally in say, the Altair, or Aries-Mini, you can only access the contents as a network shared device.

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #2,242 of 2,392
KC-130, thank you for your reply. By the way beautiful dog in your avatar. I am trying to get the ssd initialised in the Aries G2, but it is not working. It always says "unknown error" and I assume it has something do to with the ssd's formatting (NFTS) that I installed. I am wondering if the Aries can't just override the existing format on the ssd.

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #2,243 of 2,392
KC-130, thank you for your reply. By the way beautiful dog in your avatar. I am trying to get the ssd initialised in the Aries G2, but it is not working. It always says "unknown error" and I assume it has something do to with the ssd's formatting (NFTS) that I installed. I am wondering if the Aries can't just override the existing format on the ssd.
I've always been able to overwrite the existing format but I can't say for certain my existing format was ever NTFS.
I found that updating the SSD with new files when it was mounted internally was far too slow, as a networked device.
I bought a USB->Sata cable ($5) and just use the SSD attached externally now. Doing so allows me to keep the existing format since the Lightning server doesn't attempt to overwrite it. Updating the files is super-fast, I just swap the SSD back and forth between my main iMac and the Auralic device.
I lose the aesthetic of having the SSD hidden internally but I can still just tuck it under the Auralic out of sight.
I don't know if that info is of any use to you now but it may be useful later.

Dec 15, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #2,245 of 2,392
And I've observed no difference in performance by using the SSD externally vs. internally.
I think I have the delay set to 2 seconds on the Lightning DS configuration page which seems to prevent timing issues.
I've never experienced a playlist drop-out during playback.
But I also applied the 2 second delay even when I had the SSD mounted internally.

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,247 of 2,392
I use at first a LattePanda (RasPie on steroids/Win10) and later a Macbook as streaming source in my system. Unhappy with the performance and SQ of both I look for a streamer bridge and bought my first Auralic product... a used Aries Femto. I was very happy with SQ and performance, but the look of the streamer...now I‘m happier with a Aries G1 because another improvement in SQ and performance and the look match near perfectly with my other devices.

(old pic)
80670CA0-9D12-4B4B-8A33-9D6C12B4D195.jpeg

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #2,248 of 2,392
Anybody here who can comment on sonic differences between the original Vega and the Vega G1? I have owned the original in the past and am thinking about buying it again since I really liked it. If one is only after the DAC functionality, is it still worth getting the G1 over the original?

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,250 of 2,392
Sorry for my lack of knowledge here . Could I connect my iPhone XR to the Taurus 2 headphone amp ? i am moving house soon and if this is an option the I am keen to investigate _ I would be looking primarily to steam tidal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back