AURALiC owners unite!
Sep 23, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #1,501 of 2,392
  Devialet is some classy looking stuff.  I was looking at the back of the unit.  Doesn't seem there are single ended or XLR outputs to connect to the Taurus?

I will have to connect it as I have my current HP amp connected, On the Devialet you can configure it to accept two pre-outs. Hope that makes sense....I am not technical at all. I have a Black Rhodium Symphony that I currently use

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #1,502 of 2,392
No worries.  Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I'm just asking because I'm considering eventually switching to a Devialet system in the future.  

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #1,503 of 2,392
  So if it is "volume related", does this mean that the amp is running out of power? do i maybe need to get my fuse replaced? what boggles me is that the issue only happens with balanced output, Single ended is fine. something seems to be going on with the balanced output on this amp.

I can't find the output voltage of your DAC, but the Taurus is rated to have 6VRMS max input, and since it doubled the gain on balanced mode, maybe that's that cause of the distortion?

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,504 of 2,392

I can't find the output voltage of your DAC, but the Taurus is rated to have 6VRMS max input, and since it doubled the gain on balanced mode, maybe that's that cause of the distortion?

I have no idea...i am bummed that i have an expensive amplifier that distorts, but since i never listen at those volumes, really not a problem... i just feel uneasy knowing that my amp is defective in some way. other head-fiers that have had the courage to  test their amps are not getting distortion. my amp is used, so i know i will have to pay out of pocket to get Auralic to fix it if it is infact defective.

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,505 of 2,392
  I 
I have no idea...i am bummed that i have an expensive amplifier that distorts, but since i never listen at those volumes, really not a problem... i just feel uneasy knowing that my amp is defective in some way. other head-fiers that have had the courage to  test their amps are not getting distortion. my amp is used, so i know i will have to pay out of pocket to get Auralic to fix it if it is infact defective.

If you are really feeling uncomfortable then sending it back to repair might be the best way, but hell if I were you I don't bother it at the mean time since it can have a hundred reasons for that distortion to occur (e.g. too high input from source, defective amp/ headphone, over powering the headphone beyond the current it can handle etc.) to me as long as it sounded perfect in my listening volume I will be ok for that

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,506 of 2,392
Ok I have just got the Auralic Taurus today and it sounds great out of the box, they say 100 hours break in will make it sound better, now thats something to look forward to.
It DRAMATICALLY improves my AKGQ701s and I mean dramatically. Its fed from my Devialet 200.
I have a shortlist of 4 headphones and looking for anyone who has this amp with these phones.
1  HE-1000
2  HD-800
3  LCD - 3..................or possibly Oppo PM1.
Tempted to keep the AKGs for a while longer now mind as they sound great, but my original plan was to replace my whole HP set up.

Its difficult for me to audition, well to audition and compare anyway so looking for any suggestions

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,507 of 2,392
it sounds 
  Ok I have just got the Auralic Taurus today and it sounds great out of the box, they say 100 hours break in will make it sound better, now thats something to look forward to.
It DRAMATICALLY improves my AKGQ701s and I mean dramatically. Its fed from my Devialet 200.
I have a shortlist of 4 headphones and looking for anyone who has this amp with these phones.
1  HE-1000
2  HD-800
Tempted to keep the AKGs for a while longer now mind as they sound great, but my original plan was to replace my whole HP set up.

Its difficult for me to audition, well to audition and compare anyway so looking for any suggestions

It sounds heavenly with HD800... soundstage opens up with balanced mode.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,508 of 2,392
  it sounds 
It sounds heavenly with HD800... soundstage opens up with balanced mode.

I think it will be between the HD800 and the HE1000, I may chose to go for the HD650 as I have the funds for this now and patience is not my strong point

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,509 of 2,392
1  HE-1000
2  HD-800

I have used the Taurus extensively with all of those headphones except the PM1 and it is superb with all three. I really, really like my Taurus. I also have no issues with distortion turning it up to high levels.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,510 of 2,392
I have used the Taurus extensively with all of those headphones except the PM1 and it is superb with all three. I really, really like my Taurus. I also have no issues with distortion turning it up to high levels.

I just got it today and usually I can be a little underwhelmed with new gear at first, the exception being my Devialet, but the Taurus is amazing. I was not expecting it to be this good as my last MF amp was quite good.
The Taurus is that good that I could live with the AKGs if needed

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,511 of 2,392

If yiu had to chose one only which one would it be?

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,512 of 2,392
If yiu had to chose one only which one would it be?

haven't heard HE1000, but if i were you, i will get the HD800 and hifiman HE500 and call it a day. HD800 for Classical, Acoustic, Jazz and Well recorded music. HE500 for everything else. I also have Ah-D5000, but it only gets used at night. oh, and for the price of a new HD800, grab a used one for $1000 and a used HE500 for $400. thats what i did...lol

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,513 of 2,392

the distortion issue with my taurus sucks, but it sounds excellent, and i never listen at those levels anyways, plus Auralic is not responding to my request to get it fixed. last message from them was that they were looking for the nearest repair center to where i live, and i haven't heard back ever since, and that was 2 days ago, even after several messages. talk about HORRIBLE customer service...LOL

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,514 of 2,392
haven't heard HE1000, but if i were you, i will get the HD800 and HE500 and call it a day. HE1000 for Classical, Acoustic, Jazz and Well recorded music. HE500 for everything else. I also have Ah-D5000, but it only gets used at night. oh, and for the price of a new HD800, grab a used one for $1000 and a used HE500 for $400. thats what i did...lol

You say get an HD800 and amp HE500, then use the HE1000 for classical, will I have to borrow this :)
I will only buy one headphone as will also keep the AKGs, thanks for input though, although I didn't quite understand it :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,515 of 2,392
You say get an HD800 and amp HE500, then use the HE1000 for classical, will I have to borrow this :)
I will only buy one headphone as will also keep the AKGs, thanks for input though, although I didn't quite understand it :)

haha major typo. I meant get the HD800 and Hifiman HE500. but if you only needed to get one headphone, i will say the HD800 without a doubt.  Personally, i could not have the HD800 as my only headphone because poorly recorded songs sounds like trash through it. I suggested the HE500 so you can have a planar headphone in your arsenal too. they are beyond awesome headphones, can do 90% of what the HD800 are capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back