AURALiC owners unite!
Sep 21, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,487 of 2,392
Anyone with the HE-500 or HD800 willing to test out the song below with the taurus in balanced mode and tell me if you hear bass distortion with the volume turned up very high, i will really appreciate it, prefarably using a balanced DAC with 4 VRMS output. Even though i will never listen to my music that loud, it just irks my nerve that an almost $2000 amp will distort in balanced mode. i thought balanced mode is supposed to have more power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M4nKru2H_Q

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,488 of 2,392
  Anyone with the HE-500 or HD800 willing to test out the song below with the taurus in balanced mode and tell me if you hear bass distortion with the volume turned up very high, i will really appreciate it, prefarably using a balanced DAC with 4 VRMS output. Even though i will never listen to my music that loud, it just irks my nerve that an almost $2000 amp will distort in balanced mode. i thought balanced mode is supposed to have more power.

just tried a bit at around 12 o'clock volume, can't go higher since my ears is in serious pain with a few second even with the pot at 12.

Can't hear any distortion at all

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,489 of 2,392

I have Vega + Taurus mk2 + HD800, but unbalanced. My LCD-3F is being repaired (under 1y old, always sits on HP-stand, and already a dead channel... didn't expect that in this price range tbh) I'm not very keen on frying both my ears, the reason I'm buying all this stuff, and my HD800. So two questions for you:
- how is your DAC connected? Are the other inputs of the Taurus in use or unplugged?
- what happens when you turn down the DAC volume with the Taurus at "this just started distorting level"? Does distortion disappear? If not, it would appear to be gain related. If it disappears, compensate with your Taurus until you have the previously distorting level again. Is the distortion still gone, it's probably input voltage related. Is it back, then it appears to be "volume related". This is in no way scientific, I'm only thinking out loud how I'd try to trace back the issue at hand...

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #1,490 of 2,392
Interesting.  I haven't heard any bass distortion ever.   Will try this at home (should there really be a warning that says "don't try this at home"?).  

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,491 of 2,392
I have Vega + Taurus mk2 + HD800, but unbalanced. My LCD-3F is being repaired (under 1y old, always sits on HP-stand, and already a dead channel... didn't expect that in this price range tbh) I'm not very keen on frying both my ears, the reason I'm buying all this stuff, and my HD800. So two questions for you:
- how is your DAC connected? Are the other inputs of the Taurus in use or unplugged?
- what happens when you turn down the DAC volume with the Taurus at "this just started distorting level"? Does distortion disappear? If not, it would appear to be gain related. If it disappears, compensate with your Taurus until you have the previously distorting level again. Is the distortion still gone, it's probably input voltage related. Is it back, then it appears to be "volume related". This is in no way scientific, I'm only thinking out loud how I'd try to trace back the issue at hand...

when the distortion appears, and i turn down the volume on my DAC a little bit, the distortion disappers. it is basically like the taurus cannot handle the bass once i reach a certain volume. I mean i am really never gonna listen that loud ever, but since this is happening on both my headphones, this indicates a fault or defect with the taurus. On standard mode, no distortion at all, no matter the volume level.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,493 of 2,392
Don't get me wrong, but I would never try to push my expensive headphones drivers to their limits just because some random head fi guy asked to do so.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,494 of 2,392
Don't get me wrong, but I would never try to push my expensive headphones drivers to their limits just because some random head fi guy asked to do so.

The limits of high-end headphones are way beyond our hearing limit so they should be safe

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #1,495 of 2,392
Yeah I would just slowly turn them up.  It's not like I'd just full blast them from the get go.  I definitely don't let me gear tell me what music I want to listen to.  And it's not like it's a song from hell.  Just a Drake song feat. Aiko.  And I forgot to try it so maybe later.  Sounds fine listening to it with my AKR03 and cheap little uDAC2. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,496 of 2,392
   And it's not like it's a song from hell.  Just a Drake song feat. Aiko.  

Who knows? Have you tried to play it backward? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,497 of 2,392
evil_smiley.gif
 I guess that would be technically labelled as distortion from hell.  
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #1,498 of 2,392
  when the distortion appears, and i turn down the volume on my DAC a little bit, the distortion disappers. it is basically like the taurus cannot handle the bass once i reach a certain volume. I mean i am really never gonna listen that loud ever, but since this is happening on both my headphones, this indicates a fault or defect with the taurus. On standard mode, no distortion at all, no matter the volume level.

So if it is "volume related", does this mean that the amp is running out of power? do i maybe need to get my fuse replaced? what boggles me is that the issue only happens with balanced output, Single ended is fine. something seems to be going on with the balanced output on this amp.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #1,499 of 2,392
I have just ordered my Taurus . It will be used with a Devialet 200, and AKGQ701 headphones. Next month the headphones will be replaced with either HE1000, HD800, LCD-3 or Oppo PM1.......still procastinating, but I think thats the order of preference for now.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #1,500 of 2,392
Devialet is some classy looking stuff.  I was looking at the back of the unit.  Doesn't seem there are single ended or XLR outputs to connect to the Taurus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back