Auralic Gemini
Aug 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #16 of 75
Hey fzman,

How's the listening going with the G2000? I'm really interested to hear some real-world impressions!

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 75
Jpbas1: What a tease!  Wow compared to... ?

It's such a practical solution to the demands of head-fi.  My only hope is that it's up to our high-falutin' standards!

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 75
I have had mine 1 day ... I agree with the Wow comment    
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #20 of 75
I am surprised more has not been said about the Gemini.  I wanted a single one box design (HPA and DAC); but had always been advised that the lack of separate amplification or heat sinks would diminish the quality of amplification and ability drive more inefficient HP designs.  My last kit included the Resonessence Labs Concero HP and the Resonessence Labs Concero paired to a Burson Soloist amplifier.

The Gemini I felt faired extremely well to my other designs and matching HP's.  At 2WPC and extremely paired w/ an efficient Audeze LCD X; I was amazed houw much better the X's sounded in depth; space; and clarity.  I enjoyed my previous set ups but cannot imagine looking back after having had the Gemini for the past two weeks.

A con has been the heat emitted to the base unit which has been well documented.  As of now no unforseen events have occurred despite the heat being transferred to its base/housing.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #21 of 75
I do agree with the post above, in respect to thoughts on depth , space and clarity.

I am also surprised more has not been said about the Gemini 2000, so I had to rely on professional reviews of which their are now many
(Chris Martens for HiFI Plus and 6Moons was the best,  also Partime audiophile review was worthwhile, Tone Audio did a good review, also the Absolute Sound).

Baseline

Have been using a CEntrance DACmini CX for the last couple of years, for my ears this was the most pleasing DAC/AMP combo under $1K
(actually I still think it special ... I have a lot of respect for CEntrance), so my thoughts will be based on this.
I have had my hearing checked by Audiologists and doctors, so a baseline my hearing is extremely good to superior in midrange and treble , bass is a different story... it is like a rollercoaster ranging from OK to looking like a train wreck in some of the lower octaves  (got some damage in the lower octaves, probably from working construction jobs during my summer jobs during university).
I am using Audeze LCD3 via balanced to the Auralic Gemini 2000 ... also have a backup pair of AKG 701 single ended, though have not yet tried these with the Gemini 2000. 
Music taste is ecletric, from 80's Rock to modern Nashville to Jazz ... not really into classical. I do tend to prefer "stripped down" or "unplugged" sound.
Just thought I would make some notes on this as "baseline",   though YMMV, this is just my thoughts, and all the other disclaimers.

My thoughts

I would also add "tone" especially of instruments ... I was trained on piano for a couple of years as a kid so I know what it should sound like,    
this is only 1 of 2 companies that I have found really can get the sound of Piano significantly right   (Meridian is the other).
Drums also sound better.   Wood instruments (like used in Allison Kraus song "Forget about it") also sound superior to the DACmini.

For vocals, I am noticing more the "inflection" of tone that the singer is implying ... I find this worthwhile as it evokes the emotion that the singer is delivering more effectively.    

PRAT ... Pace, Rhythm and Timing is the other significant improvement.

I am also finding the Gemini 2000 has significant power to drive my Audeze LCD3 ... currently I am listening with just 1 of the 5 LED lights lit up ...
so within the first 20% of available volume ... and it is within my normal listening levels (I used to listen to the DACmini between 9 and 11 o'clock on it's volume).    
My main concern prior to buying the Gemini 2000 was that it would not have enough power to effectively drive my LCD3.    
This fear was completely unfounded.

I am very sensitive to grain in mid range and harshness in treble ... I can not find any issue with the Gemini 2000.

Also hearing more details in songs that I am very familiar with.

I can hear more of the "interplay" of the instruments within a song (the forrest) as well as be able to focus on one aspect (the trees).

One thing that the professional reviews mentioned a couple of times is that the Gemini 2000 scales up especially with HD recordings like 24/96, more so than 16/44 CD rips.
I am not finding that so much ... it sounds consistently great across the board, whether CD or HDTracks quality.
Do not really have any MP3' though I do have a lot of Music videos which are about Dolby Digital stereo quality (about the same bit rate as high quality MP3's), they sound great
as well.   

I used a kilowatt to measure power draw ... 12W.   So "green" even if it is a Class A design.

On the minus side .... I do find it takes a bit of time to warm up .... but that's just an aspect of Class A amps.
So it sounds great when first turned on .... though a bit more magic after 15 minutes warmed up.

These are my thoughts, I hope they help someone.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 75
What is kinda frustrating is that even among the scarce reviews of the Gemini 2000, there's absolutely nothing to be found on the Gemini 1000. From a budget-conscious standpoint, the 1000 is a really intriguing option, but good luck finding any feedback on it.  

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 75
My understanding from the literature is that power output is cut in half and does NOT allow for balanced outs on the Gemini 1000. I wanted the 1000 but the 2000 came up to my dealer and it was a steal to refuse....

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #25 of 75
HeyWaj10 , I hear you on the lack of Gemini 1000 reviews ... they are non-existent.  I also searched for information on Gemini 1000 and at that time I could not find anything.

Jpbas1 is correct again that the power is cut in half.  
*** This is the 1st difference between the models.

Though internally the Gemini 1000 is not balanced internally , while the Gemini 2000 is full balanced design DAC/AMP.
*** This is the 2nd difference between the models.

Though my understanding is that the Gemini 1000 still has 4 pin XLR balanced output as well as 1/4 inch stereo jack for headphone cable .... so that is common to both the Gemini 1000 and 2000 models.

I believe the benefits of full balanced design may include lower noise floor (due to CMNR), wider deeper soundstage, bass has more authority, anyway that is just my experience.
Balanced design is a "nice to have", though it is not the be all and end all for a product, it is just one aspect.  

I suppose it comes down to synergy with your headphones and there power demands.
Orthos like Audeze LCD2, LCD3 may like the Gemini 2000 better .... the LCD-X is more efficient / sensitive so either the Gemini 1000 or Gemini 2000 is a good match.

I continue to be impressed with the sound quality ... I know this is a "Lifestyle" product so a lot of people may not take it seriously, 
though it out performed anything up to the $2K mark that I have heard.

This is just my perspective and opinion, YMMV.... and the usual disclaimers.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #26 of 75
I agree with the comments above.  I can say that I was certainly not expecting what I hear from the Gemini 2000.  I have a full AURALiC Stack and when they're side by side it's pretty amazing how well the Gemini stacks up.  I recently brought both of my setups to a headphone meet so I've attached that picture.  

First Setup:
AURALiC ARIES (USB 2TB HD) > AURALiC Vega > AURALiC Taurus MKII > Alpha Dog

Second Setup:
MBAir (JRiver) from 2TB External HD > AURALiC Gemini 2000 > Alpha Dog

All electronics were plugged into an P.I. Audio UberBuss

A very cool feature was the ability to plug an iPhone into the Gemini 2000.  Talk about a simple setup!

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #28 of 75
Nice setups!
Would you mind sharing some more thoughts on the Gemini? What's its sound signature like? Technicalities?

In my opinion the best way to describe it is simply neutral.  Just like it's big brother (Vega & Taurus) it has the same signature which isn't surprising since the topology is very similar.  I'm still surprised how well it drives my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog's.  It doesn't have all the detail that the other setup has but it certainly has more than most of what I've heard without any trouble driving any headphone.  Throw the SD card option in there and the ability to plug a phone into it and still do 2xDSD and I don't know what more one could want in a small great looking package.  Yes, the base does get warm but that isn't a big deal to me.  Class A runs hot so there is a tradeoff between sound and heat.  

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #29 of 75
  In my opinion the best way to describe it is simply neutral.  Just like it's big brother (Vega & Taurus) it has the same signature which isn't surprising since the topology is very similar.  I'm still surprised how well it drives my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog's.  It doesn't have all the detail that the other setup has but it certainly has more than most of what I've heard without any trouble driving any headphone.  Throw the SD card option in there and the ability to plug a phone into it and still do 2xDSD and I don't know what more one could want in a small great looking package.  Yes, the base does get warm but that isn't a big deal to me.  Class A runs hot so there is a tradeoff between sound and heat.  

Thanks.

I would expect it to be too bright with Hifiman headphones, then. Except maybe the HE-500.

Too bad we don't see much of these at shows. Would have loved to try one.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #30 of 75

jtwrace ,

Thank you for posting your impressions.  Your contribution is especially valuable as you actually have a Taurus/Vega combo to compare against the Gemini.
This is a comparison that I have wondered about , yet not had the chance to hear.

RE "A very cool feature was the ability to plug an iPhone into the Gemini 2000.  Talk about a simple setup!"

Yes, I have been using the Tidal app on my iPhone to the Gemini 2000, it is great... and simple.  
I continue to be amazed that something so simple can sound so great.

Though, I have been experimenting with improving the USB input to the Gemini (not that it has a problem ... I am just trying to lower the already low noise from the iPhone to the DAC).
Two things I have tried recently is using a Vaunix USB Hub between the iphone and the Gemini. Subtle but worthwhile improvement (lower noise floor, more detail, less fatiguing,
especially more PRAT).    Also using a HD-Plex R-Core Linear PSU to power the Vaunix, this was also an improvement.  Really hitting diminishing levels of returns here, but I am glad I got 
both products.

I noticed an iFi usb cable in your 2nd photo .... is that an iFi Mercury or iFi Gemini ?
Interested as I am currently thinking of getting them ... at the moment am just using a freebie usb printer cable from iphone to Vaunix USB hub, kimber cable silver ag usb from hub to Gemini.

Anyway, interested in your experience with the iFi USB cable (or other recommendation).  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back