Auralic Gemini
Dec 28, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #61 of 75
hi Kuoppis,

Apart from the LCD-X looking like a more stable (reliability wise in comparison to the LCD-3), have you considered Oppo.    They have the PM-1 and the PM-2.

I understand that the less expensive  PM-2 actually has the same drivers (and same sound) as the more expensive PM-1.
I think the PM-2 may have less accessories, the finish (headband, earcups) may be different as well.

Just a thought.

Apart from the Oppos, has anyone tried the Hifiman HE-400i with the Gemini or other gear? Any thoughts so far?

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #62 of 75
sorry if im reviving a dead thread of sorts, but i just came across this beautiful unit and its now on the next must buy list for me haha. Question though, did anyone ever try out the gemini 1000 version? I'm leaning towards just saving up to get the 2k but the issue of it getting hot kinda concerns me, as I'm one of those people who will be listening to music for hours on end (like 2-8+ hrs a day). 

As i understand it the only difference is that the 2000 runs 2 watts, is fully balanced, and runs hot, whereas the 1000 runs 1 watt, and just get warm but not hot, and is not balanced? Sonically is the 1000 close to the 2000s? i see that the 2000s are compared to the Vega + Tauraus MKii combo, and if the 1000's are close to it then to me that sounds like a great value.

I plan to get a summit fi /flagship set of cans soon so i'll probably need the proper set to power them, and given i dont have much table space this thing sounds like a perfect fit. I'm looking at the LCD-XC, LCD2F, LCD3, or HD800s. Do you guys know any of these work well with the 2000/1000? 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated =)

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #63 of 75
Hi Noodlz

I'm leaning towards just saving up to get the 2k but the issue of it getting hot kinda concerns me, as I'm one of those people who will be listening to music for hours on end (like 2-8+ hrs a day). 

Personally I would not worry too much about it getting hot ... I leave mine on all of the time , rather than continually powering it on and off.
It does get very warm to the touch, but not at the level of instantly holding a fresh made cup of coffee   (more like once the cup of coffee has had a few minutes to cool).

When I put my fingers to the base of the Gemini 2000 for an extended amount of time, I consider it uncomfortable ... though in day to day use I never do that
as I quickly adjust volume or change inputs.   Will you notice the heat when you first get a Gemini ... oh yes ... though having the unit for a period of time now
I forget about it .. so no issue at all for me.

Also, running warm to hot is just the nature of the beast for Class A amps, I actually take it as indicator of quality if it runs hot ... the heat sink 
(in this case the base of the Auralic 2000) is just doing it's job.

As i understand it the only difference is that the 2000 runs 2 watts, is fully balanced, and runs hot, whereas the 1000 runs 1 watt, and just get warm but not hot, and is not balanced? Sonically is the 1000 close to the 2000s?

Exactly ... you got the differences between the two models right. 

As for the difference between the 1000 and the 2000, I have not tested that ... and there still appears to be a lack of reports on the 1000.

I plan to get a summit fi /flagship set of cans soon so i'll probably need the proper set to power them, and given i dont have much table space this thing sounds like a perfect fit. I'm looking at the LCD-XC, LCD2F, LCD3, or HD800s. Do you guys know any of these work well with the 2000/1000?

I have the LCD-3F and it is outstanding with the Gemini 2000. 

*** My understanding is that the LCD3 was used when developing the Gemini 2000 , so you can not get better system synergy than that ***

Though I am reluctant to actually recommend the LCD3  (my first pair had several driver failures ... it was the Headphone from Hell).

If you check out the LCD-3 threads there seems to be a high failure rate with the drivers ... compared to the LCD2 ... and the LCD-X
even looks more problem free (according to the HeadFi threads).
My dealer (who is absolutely fantastic, one of the best in the industry) replaced my "LCD3 from Hell" with a LCD-3F which has so far been problem free.

I sold my LCD-2 (which was issue free) before I got the Gemini 2000, so not sure how it sounds.
If I had my time again and was investigating which Audeze HP to get , and wanted one at a reference level ... as well as being reliable,
I would choose the LCD-X over the LCD-3.    As you may be able to tell, I still have some "baggage" over my first LCD3 driver failures, though I do absolutely love the sound.
I am seriously considering purchasing the LCD-X later in the year, but I would not purchase another LCD-3.

It is truly a love/hate relationship that I have for Audeze.

HD800 is a great HP though I have not tested it with the Gemini 2000. 

I'm leaning towards just saving up to get the 2k

That is what I did ... in the long run it's much less expensive than say getting the 1000, selling it because you get "audio nervosa" about wanting more power,
then buying the 2000.    

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #64 of 75
Hi Duke, hi Noodlz,

Haven't been to the site for a couple of months, but I'm happy to chip in with some views as well.

I got the 2K version (definitely recommend it for the oomph you need for more demanding HPs). In addition I added the separate HDPLEX PSU Duke recommended (power supplied via a Audio Tekne power cable), which was a very nice addition. I then went futher and added a Shunyata Hydra 2 with a Venom 3 HD power cable.

I am playing 16/44 red book rips or native DSD files from a MacBook Air via Audirvana.

My HP is the feared Senn HD800 which is extremely hard to drive to decent performance. In many setups it sounds lean an a tad bass shy.

In my setup however (pls see my profile for the full chain), the HD800 sounds just absolutely awesome with brilliant highs, the unrivalled HD800 soundstage and a solid, very deep bass with wonderful timbre overall. I have altered the Senns though with a Cardas HP cord from Charleston Cable and am also using a Cardas Clear USB.

In a word, the end result is phenomenal. My reference is my 2 ch system consisting of Ayre Twenties series pre and power amp, a Meitner DAC and Magico speakers with WyWires Platinum cables all the way.

I had before the Naim Audio V-1, which basically was a toy in terms of resolution and punch compated to the Auralic.

Hope this helps.

PS: Btw Duke, I upgraded my Magicos into larger Magicos, which I will receive in two weeks time.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #65 of 75

Hi Kuoppis,

I got the 2K version (definitely recommend it for the oomph you need for more demanding HPs). In addition I added the separate HDPLEX PSU Duke recommended (power supplied via a Audio Tekne power cable), which was a very nice addition. I then went futher and added a Shunyata Hydra 2 with a Venom 3 HD power cable.

I am very pleased that the HD-Plex Linear PSU worked for you.

For me, it was one of those low cost tweaks (even lower now, I think HD-Plex has them for a pre-order discounted to $285 ... oops, I fear that I am starting to sound a bit like
a shill, though it was just such a pleasant surprise, which is why I was so enthusiastic about it ... and still am :)
I too went further by making a DIY Oyaide/Furutech power cord into a Balanced Power supply to supply the HD-Plex Linear PSU.

By the way, have you seen this Youtube video ... at the 3minute 30 second mark, Wang mentions something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) 
"This is our supplied power supply, you can use our stock one ...though If you want better sound quality you can buy an upgrade one ... that is pretty good"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2aIb-iZMLc

Getting a Linear PSU also seems to be popular with people getting the Chord Qute (and other DAC's which utlise a DC power input), to further improve the sound quality of there gear.

In my setup however (pls see my profile for the full chain), the HD800 sounds just absolutely awesome with brilliant highs, the unrivalled HD800 soundstage and a solid, very deep bass with wonderful timbre overall. I have altered the Senns though with a Cardas HP cord from Charleston Cable and am also using a Cardas Clear USB.

Thanks for giving feedback on how the HD800 pairs with the Auralic Gemini 2000.
I personally appreciate it ... as I would like to get another HP later this year and the HD800 , along with the LCD-X is on the short wish list.
I love the Audeze sound ... I also think the HD800 is a wonderful top reference HP ...though it is known for being very picky on what DAC/AMP combo it is attached to,
so it is great to hear that it match's so well with the Auralic Gemini 2000. 

Since we first spoke, I have listened to you and decided to give aftermarket HP cable's another go ... I ended up with a Q Audio HP cable and am very pleased with it.
Also updated my USB cables with some iFi cables (see my sig).
Using my iPhone as a source, I find music just sounding wonderful thru this chain (betters my Oppo BDP-103 with linear power supply mod as a DLNA renderer).

Next tweak on the horizon is something called a USB Regen that I found out about on the Computer Audiophile website ... it reclocks the USB Data signal
(while the Vaunix USB Hub really just takes care of the Power/Ground issues of USB connections).  Anyway,  I shall order it next week and it should arrive
late April. I am very excited about the USB Regen ... I think it could be a significant advance in improving USB playback, just like the development of Asynchronous USB was a significant development.

PS: Btw Duke, I upgraded my Magicos into larger Magicos, which I will receive in two weeks time.

You truly have superb gear and a very well thought out system for your speaker rig (from your posts and from our previous discussions) ... and at the reference level that you are at,
it is great praise for the Auralic Gemini 2000 that you enjoy it so much.

By the way, you were previously looking at a 2nd HP to attach to the Auralic Gemini 2000, have you made a selection or are you still looking ?

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #66 of 75
Hi Duke,

Good to hear from you again.

I was considering another HP as an alternative to the HD800, as they were a bit treble heavy before the tweaks. Now, however, I think they are really, really good with the setup I have. At the moment I do not have any desire for anything else. Adding the Shunyatas spiralled the set into the surreal space. I must say, that whatever you do, adding the Shunyata gear will just simply give you more of everything.

In case I would want to try something else I would try the LCD-X, the new EL-8 (TBC, initial reviews are not so smashing) and suprisngly the quite affordable 400i - which were actually surprisingly nice, even when tested with my mobile setup (iPhone 6, Fiio Mont Blanc). In foreseeable future I will however replace Fiio with the iFi Micro DSD portable DAC, as I am not satisfied with my mobile setup at all. Recommendations for a mobile HP candidate for travelling welcome (current B&W PM 5 so so, new version not an alternative).

Regards,
Kuoppis

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #67 of 75
hi Kuoppis,

the HD800, as they were a bit treble heavy before the tweaks. Now, however, I think they are really, really good with the setup I have. At the moment I do not have any desire for anything else.

It's funny how that happens ... once you optimise and get the synergy right ... that there is much less "want" on having a stable of HP's.
I am currently like that with my LCD-3F, it is behaving itself and the sound is exceptional now I have applied several tweaks, so that I too have little desire for anything else.
I do have a backup HP, my now 10 year old AKG 701, though I mainly just plug that straight into my Macbook or iPad for youtube watching or checking out music tracks to add
to my list from Tidal.

Recommendations for a mobile HP candidate for travelling welcome (current B&W PM 5 so so, new version not an alternative).

I had the B&W P5, agree it was so so for music ... weird thing was that I found it actually surprisingly good for watching movies or TV on my Macbook.
Though I did not like the on-ear pressure of the pads ... I actually found the Audeze HP's more comfortable, while heavy they did not put an pressure on my ears.
I have lusted after some AKG K3003's but I do not get on well with IEM's (barely used the Sony's I had).
Just another sign that YMMV
After a week  I gave the P5's  to my GF as she is more interested in movies, not so much music.  Though she still prefers the Shure SE535's I gave her.

My backup/travel HP is still the AKG701 ... OK for listening in a hotel room ... would not be caught dead out in public wearing them.
Though they are really getting on in years, now being 10 yo. 

That is why I still have the LCD-X on my mind  (for a purchase later in the year) to replace the AKG701, as it can run straight from an iDevice or Laptop.

Thinking of maybe picking up a Geek Out 1000 (another warm/hot Class A AMP/DAC) as portable AMP/DAC which I could just plug into my Macbook's USB port,
this would give 1W Class A ... which may be a good combo with the LCD-X.  Though I do not do that much travelling these days so not that much in a rush,
will probably get around to it in the 2nd half of the year. 

By the way, you mention that you are looking at the iFi Micro DSD ... just letting you know I am happy with the quality of the iFi products that I have (iPurifier, Gemini & Mercury USB cables) , well made & designed.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #68 of 75
Thanks for the advice duke / kuoppis! Looks like i'll be saving up for the 2000 then =) Good to know about the LCD3's, i was actually looking to get the original LCD3s as i've heard people saying that they actually had more musical feel than the new 3Fs, but i think i'll take your advice to avoid the originals (dont want to deal with technical difficulties. i deal with enough with that at my job as is haha). Maybe i'll get the XC as an ultimate close back to match with the hd800 as the open back =)

Side note: i just discovered the out of your head software and found it to be fantastic with my DT880s + Cayin C5 and macbook's internal DAC. I was using the Aune T1 as the DAC but it seems to distort really hard with all the settings so now i'm probably not going to use it much anymore =( In the meanwhile i'm probably gonna have pull out my presonus central station for now to see how it pairs (which is kinda huge for my table right now =T). Have you guys tried the software? how wel does it pair with the gemini 2000 / HD800 / LCD3F? Its a free trial to install i believe, would be awesome to hear your impressions

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #69 of 75
Hi Noodlz

No problem ... great that we could help. 

XC and HD800 sounds like two great choices + sound signatures, which also gives you the option of having an open back or close back.

RE "out of your head software" ... yeah, I remember hearing Jude mention this on his SoCal Jam review Part 2 video.
Though, I am not personally a fan of any type of EQ, or software programs, so will give it a miss (they tend to muck up the "timing" of the music for me). 
Plus, I basically just use my iPhone as a source these days ... find my Macbook too noisy with EMF, RFI or whatever .... I just know that I have a much lower noise floor when using an iDevice.
""out of your head software" ... It does look interesting,  certainly a great idea, something truly innovating, good on the developer for thinking of such an idea... though not for me.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #70 of 75
Yeah the part II video is actually how i found out about it. I kinda missed the sound of standing speakers so i thought i'd give it a shot, now i kinda can't listen to music without it lol. But then again i do tend to like to play with EQ, its kinda fun turning my DT880s into a club / bass monster when listening to hiphop / EDM, and then back to neutral for vocals / jazz / classical / rock. And then there's the little gear head inside me that tells me i just need to upgrade to higher end gear and I wont need the EQ lol

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #71 of 75
  Yeah the part II video is actually how i found out about it. I kinda missed the sound of standing speakers so i thought i'd give it a shot, now i kinda can't listen to music without it lol. But then again i do tend to like to play with EQ, its kinda fun turning my DT880s into a club / bass monster when listening to hiphop / EDM, and then back to neutral for vocals / jazz / classical / rock. And then there's the little gear head inside me that tells me i just need to upgrade to higher end gear and I wont need the EQ lol

if you miss the sound of standing speakers ... then I recommend that you get the HD800 first   (before the XC)
HD800 ... It was the closest HP that I have heard so far that does soundstaging + imaging, that is closer to speakers ... that is , it is better in those aspects than other HP's.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #72 of 75
Ah, yeah that makes sense. i was gonna pick up a hd700 first even since you can get one for 500 or less these days. but i think i'll just wait and get the 800 itself,  and then a gemini 2000 =)

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #73 of 75
2 questions:

1) Is it specified whether the DAC chip is ESS Sabre 9018, like the Vega? I am looking for an attractive, fully balanced DAC /Amp and the Gemini is beautiful and sonically very intriguing per reviews. I am coming from an iDSD which I enjoy, but looking to move away from that DAC chip. I know it's all in the implementation but too many reviews of DAC's w/ ESS 9018 refer to the "Sabre glare," which I experience myself at times with the iDSD.

2) Is the the Gemini DSD playback native or DoP?

Thanks for any info.!

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #74 of 75
How does the auralic Gemini stack up in 2021/22

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #75 of 75
I would say the headphone amplifier has aged decently especially given its form factor. Not for the hardest to drive phones but does good job with all the others. The DAC feels like it didn't age as well. The big problem is that you can only use it as a dac/amp combo (ie only digital inputs). So overall, I think it is just okay. Funny enough, I bought one very recently mainly to get the headphone stand. I have several Klutz cancans stand and needed another. I hooked a LPS to it as some had recommended and thought it sounded decent. Still would be great compact desktop solution. I might invest in a really nice LPS solution to see how much better it could get. Too bad, end of day, I can't just feed the headphone amp an analog signal as I think it would make the Gemini a great long term solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back