AURALiC ARIES
May 20, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #106 of 275

I remember Mr.Wang saying something about Spotify restricting access to streaming content to Spotify's own proprietary apps only, which made 3rd party solutions impossible.

However, I believe you can still stream Spotify music via Airplay or Songcast, the latter having arguably better SQ.  You still won't be able to navigate your Spotify library/account directly from the Lightning DS app, but better than nothing.

I know, bummer.   Tidal supposedly works seamlessly though via the Lightning DS app.   As a Spotify user since the US launch, I'm disappointed.... and this is the only thing that has kept me from buying an Aries so far (and I know it's not Auralic's fault).   I'm almost tempted to get a Tidal subscription in addition to Spotify just so I can use it with the Lightning DS app :)

Thanks for the update. I really like Spotify because of their broader catalogue and peer playlists.

I recently heard of the Aries Mini that came out. At it's price, I think Bluesound Node might also be another option as it supports both TIDAL and Spotify.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #107 of 275
Done... I finally bought TODAY the ARIES (the big one with the FENCO clock)? I should get it his week .... I am happy 
biggrin.gif

Initially I will use ut with my HUGO (until I have a BIG DAC).  

--> Can Someone recommend a HighQuality "audiophile"  USB -> Micro-USB  cable to connect the ARIES to my HUGO ? 

thanks

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #108 of 275
HELP....

I just got my Aries 
biggrin.gif

- Is there somewhere a "real" manual ? The quick start guide is quite useless to me ! same for the "help" available from Lightning DS !

thanks a lot in advance for your help

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #109 of 275
Bmichels,

Not 100% sure but I think you can download the manual from Auralicd website. Also if you intend to use the Aries with a USB Hard Drive then you don't need to use streaming to play music from it. And I think the 2.0 software if probably also on their website though I'm not sure.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #110 of 275
Hi Bmichels,

SW1.8 is latest version - I did check at my ipad.

You do need to install DS Ligtning app at your ipad to control Aries. Aries has to be connected at your Wifi-network. Use Lightning app to configure (sign wheel at left bottom screen). With Lightningapp you can select your music libary - in your case your HD drive....

Then Aries should work....

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #111 of 275
Hi Bmichels,

SW1.8 is latest version - I did check at my ipad.

You do need to install DS Ligtning app at your ipad to control Aries. Aries has to be connected at your Wifi-network. Use Lightning app to configure (sign wheel at left bottom screen). With Lightningapp you can select your music libary - in your case your HD drive....

Then Aries should work....

Thanks a lot got your help.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #112 of 275
Can anyone who listens to Tidal via an Aries comment on how well DS Lightning navigates through Tidal content?   I've heard a few mention that it's even better than Tidal's own app at navigating Tidal... but of course that's not saying much because I personally think Tidal's UI sucks compared to Spotify's.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #113 of 275
So hey everyone. Today I've turned on my Aries for the very first time and I'm completely disappointed in terms of user experience. Soundwise it's flawless though.

It all started with a disappointment from an error on the screen "Network error, please use LAN cable". I haven't planned to do so since I've had no LAN cables around and thought that the device who's been able to play from an external USB drive could be networkless. At least from the start. Also, my expectation was that the streamer should create it's own Wi-Fi network at lest so I could connect my iPad directly and the set it all up. But it didnt' even after few restarts... So I went to my neighbor to loan the cable, got back to the Aries and connected one to my router... The Aries woke up eventually, and I was finally able to move it to the rack. (I still have no idea why is it should be connected to the LAN from the start...) But moving forward, I've connected an external USB drive and my Vega. Fired it all up with the Lightning DS app, an Aries appeared in the app but after couple clicks, the streamer disconnected. Reboot. Now I can see that there is a newer version of firmware available and it's downloading at the moment so I'm gonna add my library from the external drive meanwhile. While it's indexing the volume, I'm gonna connect the Tidal account to finally start to listen some music. But there is no sound. The dac shows nothing on the screen... Feck, I thought that moment... Restarting again. Opening the Tidal and nothing happens again. Silence. Opening the preferences and exploring what's on the menu. Oh! There is an option to play thru USB and other outputs separately. Ok switching to the USB. Music starts to play. Then it stops. Black screen on the Aries. It's rebooting. What the... After it's on again I've found that it simply updated it's firmware. WHAT? Why so silent then? Ok, trying to play some music from an indexed drive. Couple seconds it sounds beautiful then appears that digital noise up to 100% of volume like you've turned on a vacuum cleaner, then it smoothly turns down to 0 and music appears to play normally. Finally it's done.

But some things are bothers me still. For example: why it is always asks me whether I want to switch it's mode to streaming when I trying to play from Tidal instead of my drive and again when I switch back?

Hope I'm gonna have more time to play with it tomorrow and compare to my MBP. But for today it was a disappointment.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #115 of 275

Yes, right now it's wireless but I've had to connect it to LAN first.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #116 of 275
Still no news about V 2.0 of the iPAD app ? 

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #119 of 275

The 2.4 firmware update did allow it to create its own wifi network for setup, yours must have been on an older firmware :)

They have improved it a lot with the updates as of late!

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #120 of 275
Looks like it was one really annoying streamer! Mine was with 1.7 maybe 1.5 FW. BTW, does it means that it have no AC-standard WiFi card inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back