Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers wanted !
Jan 18, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #421 of 460
Found the PM from the Aune Rep on Head-Fi

But I checked the manual and it only states 80 mW into 300 ohms

Personally I think 200 is closer to the mark as volume wise it wasn't too far away from the output of my NFB-12.

What headphones are you driving?

HD 598 and HD 600 nothing fancy. It looks like I'll be getting this one than. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #422 of 460
Really good with the HD600 - recommended 
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #424 of 460
I have annoying problem with this DAC - almost every time I start or wake up my computer, the X1S isn't detected. Turning off/on the switch in the back or disconnecting the power cable doesn't help. The only way to fix it is to disconnect the USB cable - the X1S is detected only when you connect it while the computer is already running... I tried another computer and it's the same but I noticed that USB 3.0 port doesn't have this problem. I have the latest drivers. Does anyone else have this issue?

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #425 of 460
Nope - recognised on our secondary computer first time, every time.  But I switched it over to optical anyway (more suitable for my son's set-up) - so maybe consider switching to optical if that is an option for you? 

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #426 of 460
I'm not having this issue either. Suggest trying optical as stated above

I've used optical and usb, and both work. I'm running usb these days as Win 10 auto switches between my amp and DAC when it's turned on - doesn't seem to do this when i'm using the optical cable

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #427 of 460
OK, I've initially planned to use optical anyway. Is there some disadvantages of using USB 3.0 for DAC connection (before I get an optical cable :D)? I heard that USB 3.0 produces some interference or electrical noise but I've read it's localized only near the port.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #428 of 460
I haven't noticed any interference using mine. tried HD 700, HD 650 and HE560, plus a few other phones through it.

As for usb vs optical, again, I can't tell the difference - maybe my ears are getting too old 
basshead.gif

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #429 of 460
  OK, I've initially planned to use optical anyway. Is there some disadvantages of using USB 3.0 for DAC connection (before I get an optical cable :D)? I heard that USB 3.0 produces some interference or electrical noise but I've read it's localized only near the port.

I've used both optical and USB to the X1S.  Have not had any problems being recognized - no glitches at all (using an iMac).
My experience with sound quality is the same with optical and USB - no noise either way.  USB *can* be a source of noise, not often, but more so than optical.  It's not happening in practice, in my house.
On the X1S, there is one advantage to USB - it will play DSD files through that, but not through optical.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #430 of 460
hi mr aune,
i just got this from massdrop. plugged it in to my windows 10 pc. it recognizes the device but it doesn't show up in my playback devices. what do i do? please help. it's just a brick right now.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #431 of 460
  hi mr aune,
i just got this from massdrop. plugged it in to my windows 10 pc. it recognizes the device but it doesn't show up in my playback devices. what do i do? please help. it's just a brick right now.

Install the drivers.  They are in included on a little memory key inside the box
wink.gif

Check my review -  it has pic of the USB key, and info regarding the drivers.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #433 of 460
Is anyone here willing/able to share instructions (in English) for configuring native DSD playback in JRiver MediaCenter for this excellent DAC?  The only instructions I received were in Chinese and for an older version of MediaCenter.  I can get DSD to play in Windows over USB, however I believe it is converting it to PCM instead of playing it natively.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back