Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #3,257 of 8,309
Would have stopped there also but my body/mind had not developed anti-bodies for TR virus (tube rolling) ;P

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #3,258 of 8,309
Would have stopped there also but my body/mind had not developed anti-bodies for TR virus (tube rolling) ;P

It's a sickness for sure! I managed to stop with the Amperex 7308 JAN, a great tube. I'm saving up for Sennheiser HD 600s and am using that as an incentive to stick with the tubes I have.

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #3,259 of 8,309
I mainly stopped on the Orange Globe because I started rolling bigger tubes 6sn7/6asg7. lol I think i've gotten some antibodies for upgrade-itis. I've had the same set up since mid August! Just swapped some tubes around occasionally but it's really slowed since I got the T90s. Loving my set up. Listening to Clapton Unplugged and every time he taps his foot or stomps, I turn my head because I thought someone was coming... lol

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #3,261 of 8,309
I am new to tube rolling as well, I just bought a 1969 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 from mhamel after reading some of his posts on this thread. After reading many entries in this thread, I pm'ed him and he replied with a list of tubes he thought I might enjoy. He sent me detailed performance data and descriptions of the tubes I bought and has been a great source of advice. He threw in a few tubes for free that tested well but had unclear origins. I will certainly enjoy offering my untutored opinions of them.

I am a complete noobie with tube audio, but have been having lots of fun with this for pretty short money. I'm glad I bought the T1, simply because there are so many options for tweeking it with different tube choices. Had I bought a pure solid-state device, all I could do was plug it in and maybe imagine some sort of burn-in. Kind of boring. With the T1 and the handful of tubes, I have many hours of listening adventures ahead.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I have especially enjoyed the rich and opinionated advice and how the disagreements have been very civil for the most part. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute when I educate my ears a bit more.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,262 of 8,309
  I am new to tube rolling as well, I just bought a 1969 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 from mhamel after reading some of his posts on this thread. After reading many entries in this thread, I pm'ed him and he replied with a list of tubes he thought I might enjoy. He sent me detailed performance data and descriptions of the tubes I bought and has been a great source of advice. He threw in a few tubes for free that tested well but had unclear origins. I will certainly enjoy offering my untutored opinions of them.

I am a complete noobie with tube audio, but have been having lots of fun with this for pretty short money. I'm glad I bought the T1, simply because there are so many options for tweeking it with different tube choices. Had I bought a pure solid-state device, all I could do was plug it in and maybe imagine some sort of burn-in. Kind of boring. With the T1 and the handful of tubes, I have many hours of listening adventures ahead.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I have especially enjoyed the rich and opinionated advice and how the disagreements have been very civil for the most part. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute when I educate my ears a bit more.

Can you share mhamel's advices pm here, if he doesn't mind? It'll be a great :wink:

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3,263 of 8,309
  Can you share mhamel's advices pm here, if he doesn't mind? It'll be a great :wink:

Hi Santacruise,

I generally prefer to keep PMs as PMs, but I'm happy to share any knowledge/advice I have if it's ever of help to anyone.  
smily_headphones1.gif
There are lots of other knowledgeable people here in this thread and a great FAQ at the beginning to read, too.

What sort of info would you like to know?

-Mike

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3,264 of 8,309

Dana,

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you're happy with the tubes.  I look forward to hearing your impressions of them.

-Mike

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #3,265 of 8,309

Hi Santacruise,

I generally prefer to keep PMs as PMs, but I'm happy to share any knowledge/advice I have if it's ever of help to anyone.  
smily_headphones1.gif
There are lots of other knowledgeable people here in this thread and a great FAQ at the beginning to read, too.

What sort of info would you like to know?

-Mike

I send you PM then. I'm just thinking every knowledge or experience is worth sharing :D

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,266 of 8,309
So after searching Amperex 6Dj8 on eBay, there are some results where the tubes are as low as $14 and some where they are $25+. The cheap ones have the logos worn off, and some of them look different. A user in this thread suggested the Amperex OG 6Dj8/ECC88 GAC, but are all of these tubes the same? (Except for the GAC part). I just want to make sure that I don't purchase the wrong one.

Reference link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=amperex+6Dj8&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

If you could point out which ones are good buys, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3,268 of 8,309
  So after searching Amperex 6Dj8 on eBay, there are some results where the tubes are as low as $14 and some where they are $25+. The cheap ones have the logos worn off, and some of them look different. A user in this thread suggested the Amperex OG 6Dj8/ECC88 GAC, but are all of these tubes the same? (Except for the GAC part). I just want to make sure that I don't purchase the wrong one.

Reference link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=amperex+6Dj8&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Even I want to buy an amperex after what I've heard, need to buy them but I see them sold for around 66$ which is a lot imo :|

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3,269 of 8,309

Acknown,

Prices range all over the place depending on a number of factors.  Age, performance, condition, popularity, etc.   There are also a lot of faked tubes out there, and a lot of sellers on eBay selling untested tubes, or with vague test "results" that don't give any information.   There are also plenty of reputable sellers, but in general their prices are higher.  They tend to put more work into testing, listen to the tubes to make sure they're not noisy, and reject tubes that are way out of spec, too noisy or too imbalanced.   The Amperex 6DJ8 that CoiL and others have recommended for the Aune is a 1969, made by Philips in Herleen, Holland, with a single post getter support for a dimpled disc getter, and the factory code GAC etched near the bottom of the tube above the factory/date code.

I see a pair of the 1969s from a reputable seller on eBay now for $60/pr with no labels.  When he has them with good labels, they're $79/pr.  Another very reputable seller has them for $39/ea or $80 for a matched pair.  

Don't get hung up on the labels or brand - Amperex wasn't the only brand Philips had, and they also sold OEM to companies like RCA.    The important things to identifying the tube are the internal construction, the glass envelope construction and the etched factory date codes.   

Also remember that what you hear, through your particular chain of gear source->dac->amp->headphones, is very subjective.  While a tube may sound great to one person on their system, someone else who looks for different sound characteristics might not like it even on the same system.   Some may prefer more warmth, some may prefer a more clinical sound, some may like more bass, some less, and so forth.  If any part of the chain is different, then the sound will be different as well.   Half of the fun is in rolling through different tubes and finding what *you* like best.

-Mike

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,270 of 8,309
I mainly stopped on the Orange Globe because I started rolling bigger tubes 6sn7/6asg7. lol I think i've gotten some antibodies for upgrade-itis. I've had the same set up since mid August! Just swapped some tubes around occasionally but it's really slowed since I got the T90s. Loving my set up. Listening to Clapton Unplugged and every time he taps his foot or stomps, I turn my head because I thought someone was coming... lol

Hi MrEeleventy. I was attracted with your siggy. My plan is to get LaFigaro 336C and seems like you owned DV 336Se. So, I'm just wondering if you can share your impressions for this two combination? And have you tried Crack yet? If yes, how will you put 336SE with Crack. Somehow I think T1 sound better than the price but for now I'm looking for warmer amp since some track can be very bright with my HD600.

BTW, I'm still on EH 6922 tube and wait for my OG from Ohio which maybe more than one month to arrive at my country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back