Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3,242 of 8,309
Hi,

I've read the first post faq but still not too certain if the tube is being used.

I connect T1 via usb to my pc, and connect my ue900 iem via the headphone port (with 16db gain). Am i using the pre-amp tube in such configuration? 

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #3,243 of 8,309
The only USB drivers are USB 3 and all of my devices are running on USB 2.

I don't think the device is drawing too much power considering the fact that I have a 760W PSU and they're plugged directly into the mobo ports.

I'll attempt this on my laptop later tomorrow. If it doesn't work, one of the two things is broken. If it works, then something is wrong with my PC.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #3,246 of 8,309
  Hi,

I've read the first post faq but still not too certain if the tube is being used.

I connect T1 via usb to my pc, and connect my ue900 iem via the headphone port (with 16db gain). Am i using the pre-amp tube in such configuration? 

Think of the Aune T1 as two separate items, all in the one shell.

First you have a tube buffered DAC. the DAC takes signal in via the USB.

Second, you have a solid state headphone amp. This amp can take the signal from either the DAC, or via the RCA input on the back (switchable via the toggle on the top), and send that signal either via the headphone amp (via the jack on the front) OR as a line output via the RCA output on the back. 

Once you get your head around that, you can see that the only place the tube is used is in the DAC side of the T1. If you input via the RCA jacks, you're bypassing the DAC altogether and just using the solid state amp. 

Set your gain levels so you get listening volume at about half way around the dial. with low impedence cans. (like your 30ohm ones) 0db is probably the best setting. +16db would be for headphones 180+ohm. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,247 of 8,309
  The only USB drivers are USB 3 and all of my devices are running on USB 2.

I don't think the device is drawing too much power considering the fact that I have a 760W PSU and they're plugged directly into the mobo ports.

I'll attempt this on my laptop later tomorrow. If it doesn't work, one of the two things is broken. If it works, then something is wrong with my PC.

Just repeating again... Aune T1 does NOT draw any power from USB! It uses only data pins on USB.

About amps I`m going to consider - haven`t decided yet but probably something cheapo like PA2V2.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #3,248 of 8,309
  Just repeating again... Aune T1 does NOT draw any power from USB! It uses only data pins on USB.

About amps I`m going to consider - haven`t decided yet but probably something cheapo like PA2V2.

Think of the Aune T1 as two separate items, all in the one shell.

First you have a tube buffered DAC. the DAC takes signal in via the USB.

Second, you have a solid state headphone amp. This amp can take the signal from either the DAC, or via the RCA input on the back (switchable via the toggle on the top), and send that signal either via the headphone amp (via the jack on the front) OR as a line output via the RCA output on the back. 

Once you get your head around that, you can see that the only place the tube is used is in the DAC side of the T1. If you input via the RCA jacks, you're bypassing the DAC altogether and just using the solid state amp. 

Set your gain levels so you get listening volume at about half way around the dial. with low impedence cans. (like your 30ohm ones) 0db is probably the best setting. +16db would be for headphones 180+ohm. 

Now i got it... shall listen for a while before i check out the other tubes replacement. 

Shall consider a cheapo/value tube amp after that. 

Thanks for all the replies!

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,249 of 8,309
I find all IEMs to be extremely uncomfortable...my ears just can't take them, so I don't have any IEMs to try with it.
vrt

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3,250 of 8,309
Anyone knows what the difference is between the tubes Amperex 6922 and 7308?

I just got my T1 and it sounds amazing with my Mad Dogs, just want to improve the sound further by adding more soundstage and resolution.

I stay in Singapore so it is quite difficult to find tubes here. I found this on this singapore website and wanted to verify whether it is true. It is stated there that the 7308 and 6922 is sonically the same and value is the same too.

Please help out a noob. :)

http://www.quartzacoustic.com/shop/driver-tubes/amperex-7308-pq-white-label-pre-amp-tube/

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,251 of 8,309

Quote:
  Anyone knows what the difference is between the tubes Amperex 6922 and 7308?

A great place to read about the differences between the 6922 and 7308 would be here:  http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Essentially, they are all part of the 6DJ8 family, with the 6922 considered a "premium" 6DJ8, having better specs for noise and microphonics, and the 7308 taking that a step further by also specifying closely matched triode sections and tighter tolerances on the specs from tube to tube.

-Mike

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #3,252 of 8,309
Does this mean that both sound sonically the same with the 7308 being more well built and can last longer?
A great place to read about the differences between the 6922 and 7308 would be here:  http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Essentially, they are all part of the 6DJ8 family, with the 6922 considered a "premium" 6DJ8, having better specs for noise and microphonics, and the 7308 taking that a step further by also specifying closely matched triode sections and tighter tolerances on the specs from tube to tube.

-Mike

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,254 of 8,309
Finally ordered this hopefully nice sounding piece of audio equipment for a much higher price than what most bought for it.

have been trying to get some good deals for tubes :| Have almost decided on a voshkod and gold lion though.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #3,255 of 8,309
Amperex OG is the tube every Aune T1 owner should have and start with imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back