Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Oct 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,944 of 8,309
You guys werent joking about the amperex 6dj8/E88CC. I got it off ebay for 15 USD and it has offered me a better imaging and sweeter music as compared to my then-favourite voshkods. Happy to pick it up, and i hope this is where my tube rolling journey ends. Need the funding to upgrade my Sr325I to a magnum v5 in the future haha ^^

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #2,945 of 8,309
Auditore, are you talking about Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8/ECC88 ? Glad you like it. We don`t joke about tubes in this thread, only dead-serious stuff! :wink:

Btw, if you can & bother, make a pic and write tube code and give more detailed impressions too vs. voskhods.

If you don`t have much money and are happy with OG then I recommend to stick with it. Continue only if you want to have tube-rolling fun & more exact match for different genres with cheapo tubes. 

If you have money, go for Amperex 7308 or mint nos Siemens PCC189 (for me it`s more holographic than OG and it suits better as tube-for-every-genre).

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #2,946 of 8,309

So to help the people who are unconfident of purchasing new tubes/ the Aune T1, i will try to help and give you the slight push. I am relative new to the audio scene, with just a HF5 for IEM, a Grado SR325I and of course, an Aune T1 amp. Above are the 3 tubes that i have acquired since getting the Aune T1.
And here is the headphone they are powering.

Ok first off, the default tube, the 6922 EH. 

Its hard to go wrong with the stock tube of the Aune T1 assuming you buy it with this tube. Gives me a tighter and better bass response for music which is similar to SHM, Avicii etc. The slightly airy soundstage is noticeable from the Grados as the forward mids are still forward but not as. Instrument seperation is decent, and it carries with it a slight tube sound, sweetening the treble and warming the mids oh so slightly. It is definitely possible to use this tube, as it is good for most genres of music.

Second, the voshkod rocket.

The 6n23p voshkod rocket, hails from russia, and offers a completely different ball game from the 6922EH. Where the 6922EH slightly expands the soundstage of the Grados, this russian triode compresses it. Previously you were in the front row now the singer is singing into your ear. Ok, exaggeration, but i hope my point gets across. A very aggressive sounding tube, if i were to summarise it. Doesnt help taper the trebles, mids are nt as warm as the 6922EH, and the bass comes off as the big impact, but not as tight as i would've liked it. Cant argue given the price point.

Lastly, the Amperex 6DJ8/E88CC. Not sure which model it is, all i can tell is it has an A-frame, and i think a dimpled getter. Tube coding has also been erased. But it should be the real deal given how you guys describe it. The Amperex compliments the Grado very well. It offers a tigher bass response, tighter than the 6922EH. Even sweeter treble, and even warmer mids. Seperation of instruments improves, soundstage gets airier, but the Grado still retain its forward nature. Music becomes even more transparent. It is just musical. I have not replaced it with another tube after the comparison, as it is just that good. 

So overall, if one is not interested in tube rolling, 6922EH is good enough in its own right. If you are not satisfied and which to experiment, i wholeheartedly reccomend the Amperex first. If you are able to snag up this tube for a decent price, please do, you most likely wont regret it. I didnt. So i think my tube rolling journey stops here, till mysterious funds appear : D

PS: YMMV, take my comments with a grain of salt as everyone is different ^^

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #2,947 of 8,309
Thanks for your impressions! Of course everyone`s opinion and gear is slightly different but yes, you can`t go wrong with amperex OG 6dj8/ecc88. 
About 6922EH bass tightness and mids I personally don`t agree. 6922EH bass is actually one of the loosest bass out of my tubes but it extends "deep" and mids are actually 
pretty "flat" and not so warm/foward, they are somewhat on the "background" of highs and bass. Soundstage is big and this tube tube is still very good with EDM and atmospheric electronic music, at least I like this tube very much with those genres. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #2,948 of 8,309
Haha yup will not deny that it extends deep. Definitely missed that out in the comparison. Haha i see, but regardless, this amp with its forte of tubes have definitely boosted me up one step closer to audio nirvana. As a student in Singapore, this is definitely a luxury haha i must enjoy

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #2,950 of 8,309
Nicely done post Auditore! Welcome to the thread. The 6922 EH used to be advertised as an upgrade tube, but I got it as standard too. I guess it is now the standard tube. I found it ok. The Voskhod was, as you say aggressive. I found it too much so and quickly tired of it. I haven't heard the Amperex 6DJ8, but I have the Amperex 7308 JAN white label, which is a sweet sounding euphonic tube with a great soundstage and my favorite. I also have a Siemens E88CC which is a nice smooth laid back tube that is enjoyable but I like the 7308 a bit better. Glad that you are enjoying the T1. Keep us advised of your impressions.

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #2,951 of 8,309
  So to help the people who are unconfident of purchasing new tubes/ the Aune T1, i will try to help and give you the slight push.

I added your impressions to the T1 info post. If you later get new tubes and do more reviews remember to add them to this post also.

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #2,952 of 8,309

Lastly, the Amperex 6DJ8/E88CC. Not sure which model it is, all i can tell is it has an A-frame, and i think a dimpled getter. Tube coding has also been erased.

If it's your Amperex in this picture I can definitely see some factory codes.

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,953 of 8,309
I believe it`s not his tube bc it`s with gold pins and codes, doubt he got it (pic one) so cheap. But you never know, might get lucky on eBay :wink:

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,954 of 8,309

That picturewas my tube, however i edited the photo slightly and didnt realise it turned the pins golden. haha so here is an unedited picture of my tube. I think those are the factory codes you are looking for? Sorry for the bad photos

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,955 of 8,309
Seems to be coded GA8 delta4C4. I have 1 GA8, imo tinybit better than GAE coded but difference might also be from using time. Anyway, GAC coded OG is still the best out of them imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back