Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Sep 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2,837 of 8,309
Okay guys... Before I place an order, which one do you think more suitable with Aune T1. I think I won't upgrade in shortest time and yet any combination between these are affordable for now. I wish I have extra cash to spend for higher end DAC cum amp.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,838 of 8,309
I have hd650 and on low gain mode I cannot go past about 35% volume because it gets too loud. Yes, it will drive the piss out of the hd600.

Interesting, I have a pair of Q701s and normally have the volume sitting around 2 o'clock/75% (zero gain) and they're much lower impedance than the hd650s 
blink.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #2,839 of 8,309
Interesting, I have a pair of Q701s and normally have the volume sitting around 2 o'clock/75% (zero gain) and they're much lower impedance than the hd650s 
:blink:

Impedance alone means nothing. Look at sensitivity.

EDIT: looks like their sensitivity is either 105 or 93. Based on that, i'd say it might just be choice in music or type of technology/driver construction used.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2,840 of 8,309
Is it true that Aune T1 have heat issue? Any problem when the tube getting hot that will affect the sound?

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2,841 of 8,309
blink.gif

I've done some A/B comparisons between K702 anniversaries and HD650 and the HD650 are definitely easier to drive (so it's not all about impedance). I also want to note that in anniversaries the drivers come closer to ear as compared to Q701. Therefore, Q's should be even harder to drive. My volume setting for K702 anniversaries are usually between 40-70% on zero gain (depending on the source).

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,842 of 8,309
  Is it true that Aune T1 have heat issue? Any problem when the tube getting hot that will affect the sound?

The unit gets hot (not enough to burn your or anything) and so do most tubes but it doesn't affect the sound. As a matter of fact, I find the tube to sound better once it's "warmed up".

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,843 of 8,309

The unit gets hot (not enough to burn your or anything) and so do most tubes but it doesn't affect the sound. As a matter of fact, I find the tube to sound better once it's "warmed up".

http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-t1/reviews/9299

The only thing that concerns me is that after several hours, both the casing and the tube become incredibly hot and this contributes to distortion that I experience regularly. I have to unplug the valve regularly, and this raises concerns for me about the longevity of the electronics.

Thanks sir... I have the same theory regarding better sound when warmed up. I hope he's the only one face this. Perhaps faulty unit as comment by CoiL...

CoiL 7/19/13 at 10:25am
I think you might have a faulty unit or tube because when I do long listening sessions or serial watching with different tubes - of course it gets warm and maybe between hot and warm but never incredibly hot like you say. Also never experienced any problems with "hot" tubes getting distortion. Only bad tubes that I have make distorted & crackly sound. I think the problem is your tube being bad & leaking when it gets hot (contractions between pins and glass make tube leaking). Get a new tube and reply to this comment.
Problems like this shouldn`t be cause to stay away from this product! Tubes are fragile and have their own lifetime, this doesn`t make Aune T1 unreliable!

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,844 of 8,309
Is the Aune T1 a good match for a pair of Sennheiser 598's? I probably will upgrade to different headphones at some point (most likely a closed pair) but I would like it to sound good for now at least. My music tastes are mostly rock, pretty much no classical or anything.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,845 of 8,309
Is the Aune T1 a good match for a pair of Sennheiser 598's? I probably will upgrade to different headphones at some point (most likely a closed pair) but I would like it to sound good for now at least. My music tastes are mostly rock, pretty much no classical or anything.

They are a great match for the HD558s which use the same driver as the 598s. The Senns work fine with most rock, but remember, these aren't basshead cans and they are open.

Agreed, I use this for hours at a time without it getting too hot to touch the body of the unit. Tubes get hot, but it is easy to avoid touching it (I never installed the plastic guard, but have had no trouble.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,846 of 8,309
They are a great match for the HD558s which use the same driver as the 598s. The Senns work fine with most rock, but remember, these aren't basshead cans and they are open.
Agreed, I use this for hours at a time without it getting too hot to touch the body of the unit. Tubes get hot, but it is easy to avoid touching it (I never installed the plastic guard, but have had no trouble.

Thanks for the reply! Would you recommend any particular tubes? I don't want to spend too much though :) I'm reading through this thread and seeing lots of options, but I'm not sure which one would be a good fit for my musical tastes and headphones.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,848 of 8,309
I just got a pair of Philips Miniwatt 7308 SQ Holland and I've a hard time identifying the year they were made.

Any one of you guys is good with codes?

Side of tube: VR2  ΔP0 (orange-ish etched)
Top: Looks like 31 J (Written in the same white lettering as the brand)

What I can come up with is they look like they were made in Holland, Heerlen. Although, they do not look like VR2 (label is 7308 and white and single o-getter), but they are not VR0 (D-getter). They have a o-getter and gold-pins.

No pics since my girlfriend is off with the only camera I have. Also, sorry if this is not the proper thread. I know that some people here had experience with 7308.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #2,849 of 8,309
  I've been missing my T1 since I sold it a few months ago. If anyone with a black T1 would be interested in trading for a Schiit stack, PM me!

I read that T1 is similar with Schiit MM but T1 win when come to changing the tube. So as a Shiit MM owner and T1 used o owner, can share some thoughts?

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2,850 of 8,309
^^ Sure. I spent several nights in a row A/Bing the two with my MS2s, HD580s, and W4s. With the stock 6922 tube, they were so close that I could discern no credible differences other than the required volume levels for each. I also had an Amperex Gold Globe tube which added a little warmth over the MM stack, but that was more of a change in color rather than an upgrade in quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back