Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 15, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,671 of 8,309
Does anyone have a recommendation for a bassy tube? I've got a Amperex 7308 in my Aune T1 now and they sound awesome on my HE-400, but I'm looking for even more (and deeper) bass extension and impact with these cans for genres like EDM. I've also got an EH6922 but the bass on that doesn't even extend as deep as the Amperex. From reading this thread, it seems the Genalex Gold Lion and Vokshod 6N23P Rocket Logo are good bets. Anyone have any opinions on this, or other recommendations?

Rocket logo is not the best for bass extension, the Russian 6n23p-eb is. Easily. PM me if you want to try it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #2,672 of 8,309
Quote:
Hey! Just want to ask how you're doing with the channel imbalance?
My friend who bought the unit from me returned it saying it has some problems with the DAC, but not the channel imbalance (I made it clear to him), but I'm using it now it's running fine. Guess I have to repair it anyways.

Actually i'm just listening to it as is. The channel imbalance is noticeable only at low volumes; in that case (rare case, because i usually listen to music at medium, sometimes high, volumes) i go to  control panel -> hardware and sounds -> Audio, then click on the Aune T1 and press the properties button; there i lower the left channel volume to match the right one (on windows, in linux distributions it is even easier).
I thought about replacing it but it would have cost over 40 € so i preferred to buy some new tubes.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,673 of 8,309
I have been running my T1 with Sennheiser HD 558s at 0 gain since I got it. Sounds great, but I had to turn up to over 50% to get adequate volume with many music sources. Following through on some entries on this thread, I have recently changed to +10. I was surprised to find that, as well as having to use much less volume, the music sounds more immersive, with a larger soundstage and more punch in the bass. +10 is as far as I can push this with the 558s, but I think that I will use this setting from now on, with possible checks at 0 to compare. The Amperex 7308 is still my go to tube, for just about everything.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2,674 of 8,309
Quote:
Actually i'm just listening to it as is. The channel imbalance is noticeable only at low volumes; in that case (rare case, because i usually listen to music at medium, sometimes high, volumes) i go to  control panel -> hardware and sounds -> Audio, then click on the Aune T1 and press the properties button; there i lower the left channel volume to match the right one (on windows, in linux distributions it is even easier).
I thought about replacing it but it would have cost over 40 € so i preferred to buy some new tubes.

You did the exact same thing I did. Haha. 
beyersmile.png

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,675 of 8,309
I`m wondering what`s causing this imbalance? Maybe it`s "typical" design flaw or something easy that someone could sort out and those who have problems could fix it?
Just being clear - I don`t have this problem with my unit.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,676 of 8,309
It's most likely the volume pot (the knob). All analog pots suffer from channel imbalance at low levels and depending on the quality of the pot, the degree of it varies. All the dacs/amps that I've owned that had a analog volume knob suffers from it at low levels. It's a common occurance.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,677 of 8,309
Quote:
It's most likely the volume pot (the knob). All analog pots suffer from channel imbalance at low levels and depending on the quality of the pot, the degree of it varies. All the dacs/amps that I've owned that had a analog volume knob suffers from it at low levels. It's a common occurance.

I understand the imbalance at low levels, this channel imbalance is on all levels. There is something defective in the DAC/tube buffer portion of the unit. I've replaced the tube but no dice.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,678 of 8,309
Quote:

Quote:
I`m wondering what`s causing this imbalance? Maybe it`s "typical" design flaw or something easy that someone could sort out and those who have problems could fix it?
Just being clear - I don`t have this problem with my unit.

I sent an email to Aune and they told me it is normal: it depends on potentiometer.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #2,680 of 8,309
Quote:

I sent an email to Aune and they told me it is normal: it depends on potentiometer.

Ok, since I`m bored sometimes, maybe going to change that potentiometer with more quality part :)

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #2,682 of 8,309
Quote:
I have been running my T1 with Sennheiser HD 558s at 0 gain since I got it. Sounds great, but I had to turn up to over 50% to get adequate volume with many music sources. Following through on some entries on this thread, I have recently changed to +10. I was surprised to find that, as well as having to use much less volume, the music sounds more immersive, with a larger soundstage and more punch in the bass. +10 is as far as I can push this with the 558s, but I think that I will use this setting from now on, with possible checks at 0 to compare. The Amperex 7308 is still my go to tube, for just about everything.

Interesting. Maybe I should play more with the gain settings.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2,683 of 8,309
What bores me more is the LED under the tube. At first i liked it but now i find it annoying because it hides the tube own light (that i like more). Sooner or later i will remove it.

Anyway the Siemens PCC189 i bought last sunday has not been shipped yet 
angry_face.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2,684 of 8,309
Patience with eBay deals. It might just be unmarked as shipped. I had many cases like this but everything was ok :)

About LED, I`m thinking just putting tiny orange see-through plastic piece in the middle of socket so it will give same glow as tube.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #2,685 of 8,309
Quote:
Patience with eBay deals. It might just be unmarked as shipped. I had many cases like this but everything was ok :)

About LED, I`m thinking just putting tiny orange see-through plastic piece in the middle of socket so it will give same glow as tube.

NIce idea about the LED. Anyway i contacted the ebay seller and he actually hasn't shipped the tube yet. He said he would have done it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back