Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2,596 of 8,309
Quote:
There are likely other reasons group buys cannot be discussed on this site. I imagine some reasons, as suggested are quality concerns. Linked to that are support issues as we're watching be discussed now.

Yazen needs to contact the group buy site, not this thread.
Posts about that site are regularly deleted here.

Just wanted to see if audio quality would be impacted, as I can live with a few scratches.  

You're writing in 3rd person, I have my suspicions about you sir 
size]

EDIT:
Why not try it out first and see if there's a loss in audio quality? That's like buying a car and then going on a forum to ask how it handles... Just try it out and enjoy. Or go back and gripe. Either ways, hook it up! 
biggrin.gif

I'm having a hard time setting it up at the moment. When I get back home I'll have some free time today to see if any wiggling will get my computer to identify the new device.

Did not know it was against the rules. Moderators, don't look here!  Nothing is happening 
size]

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #2,597 of 8,309
I just bought the aune t1 and I am using some skull candy earbuds to test it out and it sounds very high-pitched and distorted so much to the point where I can't listen anymore. I do have some akg k272hd headphones but they are being repaired at the moment and I can't listen with them. They are my primary listening tool. So my question is, Does the aune t1 sound so poorly because im not using my akg's or is it because of something else?

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,598 of 8,309
Quote:
I just bought the aune t1 and I am using some skull candy earbuds to test it out and it sounds very high-pitched and distorted so much to the point where I can't listen anymore. I do have some akg k272hd headphones but they are being repaired at the moment and I can't listen with them. They are my primary listening tool. So my question is, Does the aune t1 sound so poorly because im not using my akg's or is it because of something else?

Its because you're using earbuds!  haha
Turn all the gain switches on the bottom to the off position, and try again.

Its an impedance issue.  

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,599 of 8,309
From an out of box, cold start, it might take a little while for everything to warm up. Once it does, the LED will kick on and Windows should detect it. I was worried at first about it not getting detected as soon as I threw the switch on. I thought it was DOA. My only minor gripe is that I wish the switch was labeled on/off instead of SW. Not very helpful.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2,600 of 8,309
Quote:
Thank You CoiL, you've been very detailed 
regular_smile%20.gif
 I listen almost everything but  in particular Progressive Rock. So I'd like to have 2 tubes, one with a large soundstage and a clear and trasparent sound (for progressive rock) and one with a warm and intimate sound (for any other genre).

Well, here our opinions split. I also listen mostly progressive rock/metal (Dead Letter Circus, Karnivool, Tool, Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Tesseract etc.) and imo best tubes with this genre are Amperex OG GAC & Ultron SQ PCC189 gold label. They are in the "middle range" of soundstage "size" (sweetspot imho) and are airy, clear, transparent and with warm dynamic highs. Siemens PCC189 is also very good, imo littlebit better than Mullard ECC88, Philips PCC189, Miniwatt-Dario ECC189/PCC189 for this genre.

I would go for Amperex OG or Siemens PCC189 for prog rock and honestly, Siemens PCC189 suits very well for other genres too. If you can find, then Ultron SQ PCC189 gold label is my best tube for prog rock. Easiest way is to go with Amperex OG.
Intimate & warm tubes like 6N23P reflektor, Mazda Belvu PCC189, Mullard PCC189 and Valvo PCC88 are good for old style rock and old records and for those who enjoy "old" sound but not good for every genre imho.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,601 of 8,309
Quote:
Well, here our opinions split. I also listen mostly progressive rock/metal (Dead Letter Circus, Karnivool, Tool, Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Tesseract etc.) and imo best tubes with this genre are Amperex OG GAC & Ultron SQ PCC189 gold label. They are in the "middle range" of soundstage "size" (sweetspot imho) and are airy, clear, transparent and with warm dynamic highs. Siemens PCC189 is also very good, imo littlebit better than Mullard ECC88, Philips PCC189, Miniwatt-Dario ECC189/PCC189 for this genre.

I would go for Amperex OG or Siemens PCC189 for prog rock and honestly, Siemens PCC189 suits very well for other genres too. If you can find, then Ultron SQ PCC189 gold label is my best tube for prog rock. Easiest way is to go with Amperex OG.
Intimate & warm tubes like 6N23P reflektor, Mazda Belvu PCC189, Mullard PCC189 and Valvo PCC88 are good for old style rock and old records and for those who enjoy "old" sound but not good for every genre imho.

Any tube that would sound particular darker than the others?

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,603 of 8,309
Quote:
Any tube that would sound particular darker than the others?

Mazda Belvu PCC189 & Mullard PCC189 probably but I`m not sure what you mean about darker. 6N23P reflektor is very foward sounding tube, small soundstage, intimate & warm but it sounds too "through the blanket" and not in the good "dark" way imo. Mullard PCC189 is very interesting old sounding but I don`t remember anymore which color logo it had (came off) and I have 2 other Mullard PCC189`s but they are out of working condition so I can`t compare. They all are with old mullard logo not the newer shield logo and all should be made in england Blackburn if I remember correctly. Use search function to find my impressions about them, don`t remember anymore, sry.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,604 of 8,309
[size=11.0pt]I’m running my Aune T1 in between my Imac (Audirvana) to my Qinpu A3 and into my 686’s. I’d like to add an USB-S/PIDF Converter. But don’t know these questions below:[/size]

[size=11.0pt]1.       [/size][size=11.0pt]Will I be able to run 24/192 files?[/size]
[size=11.0pt]2.       [/size][size=11.0pt]Which brand do you recommend? I’m thinking M2 since they’re decently priced.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]3.       [/size][size=11.0pt]Will it even benefit my Aune T1? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]Thanks[/size]

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2,605 of 8,309
Quote:
[size=11.0pt]I’m running my Aune T1 in between my Imac (Audirvana) to my Qinpu A3 and into my 686’s. I’d like to add an USB-S/PIDF Converter. But don’t know these questions below:[/size]

[size=11.0pt]1.       [/size][size=11.0pt]Will I be able to run 24/192 files?[/size]
[size=11.0pt]2.       [/size][size=11.0pt]Which brand do you recommend? I’m thinking M2 since they’re decently priced.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]3.       [/size][size=11.0pt]Will it even benefit my Aune T1? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]Thanks[/size]

You must use the USB input on the T1 in order to use the tube DAC built into it. It has to be connected to a computer (or some Android devices).
I'm unclear about how you would use a USB-S/PDIF converter with your current setup though I'm assuming you'd like to run it between your iMac and the T1.

The Aune T1 does not support 24/192khz. Neither do your ears.  :wink:
The T1's maximum is 24/96khz.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,607 of 8,309
Quote:
tried to search the thread but got nothing.
what is output gain adjust?

As in what does changing the output gain do?

It changes the gain from +0db, +10db and +16db.

Gain in this case is an increase in voltage to the headphone jack. This is a greater amplification of the outgoing audio and is useful if you have high impedance headphones.
I have 64ohm headphones which need amplification but not much. Using +0db with them was fine but I found that things sounded tighter when I increased gain to +10db. You'll also find that increasing gain means you don't have to turn the volume on the T1 nearly as far as you have been because the overall signal is "louder".

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2,608 of 8,309
You must use the USB input on the T1 in order to use the tube DAC built into it. It has to be connected to a computer (or some Android devices).

Not exactly. The Aune dac also works fine with an iPad through the CCK (camera connection kit) to a USB. For some reason I don't understand you have to put a powered hub between the Aune and the iPad (or iOS will give a low power error message even though the Aune DAC doesn't draw power from the USB connection). Otherwise it works great I do most of my listening this way.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2,609 of 8,309
Quote:

I have found very poor sound quality when using the supplied 6.5mm adapter.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #2,610 of 8,309
Quote:
As in what does changing the output gain do?

It changes the gain from +0db, +10db and +16db.

Gain in this case is an increase in voltage to the headphone jack. This is a greater amplification of the outgoing audio and is useful if you have high impedance headphones.
I have 64ohm headphones which need amplification but not much. Using +0db with them was fine but I found that things sounded tighter when I increased gain to +10db. You'll also find that increasing gain means you don't have to turn the volume on the T1 nearly as far as you have been because the overall signal is "louder".

dose its changes the sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back