Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #2,566 of 8,309
These two tubes are both excellent but very, very different. The Amperex is a smooth, detailed, holographic sounding tube. The Amperex makes you feel surrounded and immersed in the sound and it is well balanced. It is ultimately a more laid-back sound that I think appeals to many. The Genalex is also very detailed and the sound stage is wide and natural sounding but it is not quite as "holographic" as the Amperex. This idea is hard to explain unless you hear it. The Genalex has nice punchy bass and is a generally intimate, forward sound. Think of it this way: The Genalex is like standing dead center front row of a concert with all of the beautiful details smashing into you while the Amperex is like sitting a few rows back and having an orchestra of sounds surrounding you. I'm not sure exactly which tube is specifically best for electronic and trance music. I can say that I definitely enjoy how Purity Ring sounds on the Genalex and that I haven't owned the Amperex in a while so I can't compare it directly.

Interesting comparison! Now I want to try the Genalex to compare it with my Amperex.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2,567 of 8,309
Hi All, this is my first post here and I would just like to say what an amazing thread, and yes, I've actually read through all pages!
blink.gif

The nett result is that I have taken delivery of my Aune T1 day before yesterday, but because I was fast asleep I've accidentally ordered one with a 110V PSU
frown.gif
. So $100 (NZD) later I now have an isolated step down transformer to power my PSU. I am hoping this transformer will aid somehow with the audio quality (maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part).

Current listening is though my Sennheiser Momentums (also due to a lot of feedback from another head-fi thread) and I now FULLY understand the WOW factor with this little DAC. Initially sound was poor with no bass and a weird "ghosting" effect on vocals. After trying numerous Foobar settings etc. finally out of desperation I swapped the supplied 6.5mm adapter with the one from my Momentums and the effect was jaw dropping!!! Man this DAC sounds good...

Now, this is my first serious foray into head fi with most of my music enjoyment to date from my TEAC DVD player -> Decware valve amp -> Lowther PM6A DIY open baffle speakers with Hawthorne OB subs driven by a pair of Dayton SA240's.

You may be interested to learn that my little Aune will find it's final "resting place" in that system. My aim is to replace my TEAC and drive the Aune from a Raspifi (http://www.raspyfi.com) system. I can't wait for the weekend!
wink_face.gif

Maybe I will type up a little "how to" to document my actions as I get the DAC working with the Raspberry Pi. Source material will either be ripped CDs or material from HDTracks.com.

Well, that is it for now.

Andre

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,569 of 8,309
Hi there! :D This is my first post here at Head-fi and i'm glad to be part of this forum that i've been following for years.
I've just bought an Aune T1 with EH 6922 Tube (this is my first DAC+Amp) and, although i have to say it sounds really really good, more than i was expecting, i noticed a channel imbalance. The left channel is louder than the right one; so i decided to test it with RMAA 6.2.5 and it confirmed my impression. But that's not all. The results of the test were very disappointing. The PC sound card in comparison is considerably better, although it sounds worse, Are those tests reliable?
Should I send it back for the channel imbalance?

Thank You in advance

This is the summary of the test (without graphs)

Summary

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB +0.11, -1.25
Average
Noise level, dB (A) -54.6
Poor
Dynamic range, dB (A) 54.4
Poor
THD, % 0.251
Poor
THD + Noise, dB (A) -46.6
Poor
IMD + Noise, % 0.504
Poor
Stereo crosstalk, dB -54.9
Poor
IMD at 10 kHz, % 0.491
Poor
General performance  
Average

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,570 of 8,309
Quote:
Hi there! :D This is my first post here at Head-fi and i'm glad to be part of this forum that i've been following for years.
I've just bought an Aune T1 with EH 6922 Tube (this is my first DAC+Amp) and, although i have to say it sounds really really good, more than i was expecting, i noticed a channel imbalance. The left channel is louder than the right one; so i decided to test it with RMAA 6.2.5 and it confirmed my impression. But that's not all. The results of the test were very disappointing. The PC sound card in comparison is considerably better, although it sounds worse, Are those tests reliable?
Should I send it back for the channel imbalance?

Thank You in advance

This is the summary of the test (without graphs)

Summary

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB +0.11, -1.25
Average
Noise level, dB (A) -54.6
Poor
Dynamic range, dB (A) 54.4
Poor
THD, % 0.251
Poor
THD + Noise, dB (A) -46.6
Poor
IMD + Noise, % 0.504
Poor
Stereo crosstalk, dB -54.9
Poor
IMD at 10 kHz, % 0.491
Poor
General performance  
Average

I've heard of a few people on here with channel imbalance issues, and if I were you, I would return it for a replacement. Sure, it could be the tube at fault, but why mess around with that when you should have received a properly working product the first time. Secondly, my advice to you is to trust your ears. Maybe those ratings are poor due to the cheap tube and maybe they are not, but I've listened to enough audio equipment to recognize that the T1 is far superior to any PC sound card, at least that I've heard. If I were you, I would send back the defective unit for a working one and order a couple of the awesome tubes mentioned in this thread in the meantime. Then when it all comes together, I would forget about the measurements, sit back, and enjoy the music.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,571 of 8,309
I've heard of a few people on here with channel imbalance issues, and if I were you, I would return it for a replacement. Sure, it could be the tube at fault, but why mess around with that when you should have received a properly working product the first time. Secondly, my advice to you is to trust your ears. Maybe those ratings are poor due to the cheap tube and maybe they are not, but I've listened to enough audio equipment to recognize that the T1 is far superior to any PC sound card, at least that I've heard. If I were you, I would send back the defective unit for a working one and order a couple of the awesome tubes mentioned in this thread in the meantime. Then when it all comes together, I would forget about the measurements, sit back, and enjoy the music.
+1 Well said Joeq. If it sounds great but measures terrible, the only thing keeping you from enjoying yourself is your brain telling your ears, "But it measures terribly!". Tell your brain to shut up and enjoy the music.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2,572 of 8,309
Quote:
Hi All, this is my first post here and I would just like to say what an amazing thread, and yes, I've actually read through all pages!
blink.gif

The nett result is that I have taken delivery of my Aune T1 day before yesterday, but because I was fast asleep I've accidentally ordered one with a 110V PSU
frown.gif
. So $100 (NZD) later I now have an isolated step down transformer to power my PSU. I am hoping this transformer will aid somehow with the audio quality (maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part).

Current listening is though my Sennheiser Momentums (also due to a lot of feedback from another head-fi thread) and I now FULLY understand the WOW factor with this little DAC. Initially sound was poor with no bass and a weird "ghosting" effect on vocals. After trying numerous Foobar settings etc. finally out of desperation I swapped the supplied 6.5mm adapter with the one from my Momentums and the effect was jaw dropping!!! Man this DAC sounds good...

Now, this is my first serious foray into head fi with most of my music enjoyment to date from my TEAC DVD player -> Decware valve amp -> Lowther PM6A DIY open baffle speakers with Hawthorne OB subs driven by a pair of Dayton SA240's.

You may be interested to learn that my little Aune will find it's final "resting place" in that system. My aim is to replace my TEAC and drive the Aune from a Raspifi (http://www.raspyfi.com) system. I can't wait for the weekend!
wink_face.gif

Maybe I will type up a little "how to" to document my actions as I get the DAC working with the Raspberry Pi. Source material will either be ripped CDs or material from HDTracks.com.

Well, that is it for now.

Andre

Also got mine today in NZ from massdrop. Got the right voltage but still need an adapter to change the plug from US to NZ... only cost me $20 though not 100 :p

Didn't expect it to sound this good! (even with stock tube) Really perfect for my magnums which I like a whole lot better than on my Little Dot I+

(my shipping notification still says [size=12.727272033691406px]Order Processed: Ready for UPS lol)[/size]

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #2,574 of 8,309
Quote:
Can anyone do a comparison between the Aune t1 and the little dot 1+(using a cheap USB dac like fiio e7 with LOD) ? Thanks in advance

Was running my I+ through my xonar essence, but the T1 just sounds more 'tubey', really a lot nicer with my (grado) magnums/ms2 than the little dot with the stock T1 tube. I only got it today so can't post much in-depth but needless to say I'll be selling my little dot (to fund some tubes :)

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #2,576 of 8,309
Quote:
marts30:
How much tube rolling have you done with the LD1+?
There are a LOT more tubes out there for that amp than you think. Stuff that isn't EF95/92 at all and sounds better than the Voskhods.

I haven't done a lot, was using the voskhods (how did you know? :p) T1 just seems like the better deal to me, and I would rather tube roll for that... as even the default sound is more to my liking than the stock LD I+ or voskhods.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2,577 of 8,309
Thank you guys for your advices. But at this point, if you think those test doens't mean anything, i'd better get a new tube instead of sending the item back, as it will cost about 35 €. Anyway at high volumes it's hard to notice the channel imbalance that is clearly audible at lower volumes (as one channel sounds while the other is mute).
I was thinking about a Tesla N.O.S gold pin(39 €), a used Sylvania gold pin (25 €) or a Siemens N.O.S gold pin( 57 €). What do you suggest me, keeping in mind that i''m going to use the Aune with a Sennheiser HD598)?

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #2,578 of 8,309
Thank you guys for your advices. But at this point, if you think those test doens't mean anything, i'd better get a new tube instead of sending the item back, as it will cost about 35 €. Anyway at high volumes it's hard to notice the channel imbalance that is clearly audible at lower volumes (as one channel sounds while the other is mute).
I was thinking about a Tesla N.O.S gold pin(39 €), a used Sylvania gold pin (25 €) or a Siemens N.O.S gold pin( 57 €). What do you suggest me, keeping in mind that i''m going to use the Aune with a Sennheiser HD598)?

The 598 should be great with the T1. I have the 558 and it brought these to life. I usually listen at over 1/ 2 volume with 0 gain. Low volume can cause some imbalance. Look up the tubes you mention in the thread search function. I believe that there are posts on them. Coil has done posts on the Tesla. Good luck.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,579 of 8,309
Quote:
The 598 should be great with the T1. I have the 558 and it brought these to life. I usually listen at over 1/ 2 volume with 0 gain. Low volume can cause some imbalance. Look up the tubes you mention in the thread search function. I believe that there are posts on them. Coil has done posts on the Tesla. Good luck.

I have the HD598 and can confirm it sounds great with the Aune T1. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2,580 of 8,309
Anywhere I can get an Amperex 7308 with cheap shipping? Really don't want to pay $53 shipping from upscaleaudio.

Quartz said they're getting stock in 2 weeks, which is only $3 shipping worldwide *lol*... may just wait for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back