Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,521 of 8,309
Quote:
So far the Genalex is a very interesting tube. Very aggressive sounding indeed. Clear, forward mids. Punchier bass and cleaner sounding than the Voskhod I think.  Also the soundstage is a bit different, wider I think. It's gonna be a tough decision what to keep in the T1! More impressions to come later.

+1. I think it's kind of like refined extended rocket. Very smooth and definitely better than EH imo. If only it wasn't so damn expensive. It's hard buy to justify especially since you can get OG at a fraction of the price.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2,523 of 8,309
Bought mine for $15 or less. One 4 pcs lot was $38 delivered. Well they are orange prints (early 70's A-frames) but still.

E: Also got two rockets for $10 + shipping and Ultrons for €6.5 a piece. Keeping these deals in mind the $35 + $12 (shipping) for my gold lion was probably the worse deal I've done during this whole tube rolling time. At least it's the only deal I've regretted afterwards.

E2: I mainly buy used NOS with good measurements because many NOS are fakes and used instead. You can also get nice single tube deals for T1. Many tube amplifiers need matched pairs or quadruplets which are hard to find and can cost a fortune.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,526 of 8,309
Quote:
E2: I mainly buy used NOS with good measurements because many NOS are fakes and used instead. You can also get nice single tube deals for T1. Many tube amplifiers need matched pairs or quadruplets which are hard to find and can cost a fortune.

+1

pre map tubes don't need to be matched per se like power tubes do.. http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/tubmatdem.html

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,528 of 8,309
Can I know the gain configuration for +8 coz according to the manual its not shown.

Sorry I made a mistake.  I have it set to +10 gain. You can select 0, +10, +16.

To set it to +10 I have the white switches on the bottom marked number 1 set to ON, while the switches marked 2 are off.

I see...You got me there. Thought if its possible I will switch it to +5

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #2,529 of 8,309
Quote:
Sorry I made a mistake.  I have it set to +10 gain. You can select 0, +10, +16.

To set it to +10 I have the white switches on the bottom marked number 1 set to ON, while the switches marked 2 are off.

I'm curious now. You've modded your Grado's with the Magnum stuff correct? What impedance are the drivers?
I'm wondering if I can get more out of my 64ohm headphones by going up to +10. Right now I'm using +0 because that seemed the most correct choice based on the impedance of my cans.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,530 of 8,309
I'm curious now. You've modded your Grado's with the Magnum stuff correct? What impedance are the drivers?

I'm wondering if I can get more out of my 64ohm headphones by going up to +10. Right now I'm using +0 because that seemed the most correct choice based on the impedance of my cans.

Well, technically nothing about my headphones is Grado at all except the headband, but yep I have Magnum X's. I don't know the impedance of the drivers actually but it's pretty low I think, maybe 32 ohm? Really, it's easy to change the gain switches on the Aune. The only way to see if it makes your cans sound better is to try it!

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,531 of 8,309
Well good news is getting an orange globe lol. I'm already fairly impressed with the 6922eh the t1 came with but the mids are bothering me a bit so I just read a bit and got the orange globe.... Let's hope these are as good as people make them out to be... or at least noticeably better than the 6922eh. These pair pretty well with my q701s though the mdr 1rs don't sound too great, but those are portable/ low impedance too and that doesn't really help.

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,533 of 8,309
Quote:
Don't know if its been mentioned here before but is the JJ E88c gold pin any better than the 6922EH? I read somewhere the sound is just d opposite. I do find the EH sounds a bit thin.

I don't personally know if it's better because I haven't heard them, but I did a quick search and came across this:

As a cheap tube I would also recommend Jan Philips 6922, one of the better "new" ones. I found it miles better than EH6922 and JJ...but my JJ's were the E88CC kind...

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #2,534 of 8,309
Don't know if its been mentioned here before but is the JJ E88c gold pin any better than the 6922EH? I read somewhere the sound is just d opposite. I do find the EH sounds a bit thin.

In my experience the JJ are not significantly better than the EH. Off the top of my head I can't tell you exactly why, possibly that I found the bass to be lacking and the overall timbre slightly odd. All I can recall right now is that the JJ 6922 and Reflector 6N23P-EV are my least favorite tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back