Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,446 of 8,309
Quote:
I guess you came to that conclusion without trying other tubes? Thats kinda silly attitude imo. What are those every headphones and how it sounded weird? And did you even use USB input or used it with RCA in?

I like how you praise everyone with the same opinion as you and as soon as someone thinks differently, you instantly attack its credibility.

/rant

Anyway, to answer your questions, I tried the dac section alone with USB input+line out (which was bad imo), the amp section alone with RCA input (which was ok) and both sections as a single unit. I tried HD650, HD 558, Grado SR80, DT990 and the DAC section on a decent stereo speaker setup.  All sounded unnatural and edgy to my ears. By the way, if changing the stock tube or the EH 6922 is mandatory for it to sound good, then why didin't they included a good sounding tube with the package in the first place? The tube part is a gimmick. This is just my opinion by the way, it won't make the unit sound different to you if you think it sounds good already.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2,448 of 8,309
The tube part is a gimmick. This is just my opinion by the way, it won't make the unit sound different to you if you think it sounds good already.

As I've said before, this audio world is totally subjective. Some people hear things that others don't or can't hear. Some people exaggerate things just to make posts.
You just basically told most of the people in this thread that have rolled tubes that you think they're delusional.
This is absolutely a possibility.

I just know from personal experience that rolling tubes in this thing does make a difference in a number of ways.
I briefly owned an E17 before this and while everyone raves about them, I couldn't stand how muddy it sounded. Enter the T1 and that mud is gone for me.

Maybe you've got a defective amplifier. Maybe your tube is bad. How long had the tube been burned in for?

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,451 of 8,309
Anyway, to answer your questions, I tried the dac section alone with USB input+line out (which was bad imo), the amp section alone with RCA input (which was ok) and both sections as a single unit. I tried HD650, HD 558, Grado SR80, DT990 and the DAC section on a decent stereo speaker setup.  All sounded unnatural and edgy to my ears. By the way, if changing the stock tube or the EH 6922 is mandatory for it to sound good, then why didin't they included a good sounding tube with the package in the first place? The tube part is a gimmick. This is just my opinion by the way, it won't make the unit sound different to you if you think it sounds good already.

I think everyone's perception of any equipment is fair enough as the external variables are too large to have any consistency.. Theory alone, the NE5532 opamp, the opamp used in T1 by the way I think some one is asking some posts before, is a very "bright" opamp to begin with.. With the EH6922, another bright tube, if so called the "favors" of the tube, it requires some good synergies with certain headphones to sound "right"..

But then, there again, what is "right", what is "bright", what is "natural", it goes back to a person relative experience prior to hearing T1 and again the external variables YET again.. I think to be fair to Rem0o, it is at least refreshing how someone can post this perception of T1 different from most of us, which if we can't concur, then so be it.. Own it, love it, hahah..

On the thought of not including better tube as the package I feel is more of a marketing and sales strategy.. There is no doubt some tubes are really better and worth the extra to have it, due to rarity also.. It is back to the logic again if someone is happy enough with EH6922, it might not worth for him/her to spend extra on a tube package when the difference he/she hears is so little.. There are more reasons, but then, the rest are corporate reason I reckon..

Tube being gimmick, hmm, I think NwAVGuy also mentioned something along the line in his ODAC design and assessment.. There are just too many ways to change how a sound can be heard, why restrict another guy from putting 2.5" full range speakers near his ears to enjoy the most open sound he ever wants to hear? :b

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,452 of 8,309
Quote:
I like how you praise everyone with the same opinion as you and as soon as someone thinks differently, you instantly attack its credibility.

/rant

Look at the price of this thing. This is bang-for-a-buck product not something high-end. I think if Aune would wanted to go with high-end tubes they would have used different opamps and DAC chip also. Tube buffer is the thing that makes this unit attractive (so many different tube types will work) and possibility to match tubes to your cans and needs. 

About that "attack", sorry if it felt so, it wasn`t. Of course I repect your opinion but really... saying that tube part is gimmick? 
You don`t understand the point of this unit. Why did you even buy this thing if you weren`t going to try different tube? Sorry but I don`t understand your thinking.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2,453 of 8,309
I think some people might find the tube to be a gimmick because it is a buffer rather than the main driving force of the unit. I don't agree. The tube gives its sound quality to the unit as a bit of tube rolling shows. With the correct tube (in my case the Amperex 7308). I find this a rich and rewarding piece of equipment. OK the led is dumb except that it says when the unit is ready to use. I don't think the Aune is unique in using an led this way, however.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,454 of 8,309
Quote:

/rant

It's ok if you don't like the stock tube. However, buying the T1 without any plans to ever try out another tube is kind of pointless. I feel like it's obvious from my opening post that the point of the T1 is that you can find the sound you want through tube rolling. I don't think I've yet read of somebody who tried several tubes and concluded that the stock tube was the best. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but if you think I should have put a disclaimer in the FAQ about needing to buy tubes, let me know, and I will consider it.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,455 of 8,309
Quote:
It's ok if you don't like the stock tube. However, buying the T1 without any plans to ever try out another tube is kind of pointless. I feel like it's obvious from my opening post that the point of the T1 is that you can find the sound you want through tube rolling. I don't think I've yet read of somebody who tried several tubes and concluded that the stock tube was the best. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but if you think I should have put a disclaimer in the FAQ about needing to buy tubes, let me know, and I will consider it.

Hey Joeq70 I had a question about the Magnums and the T1. Which other amps have you compared with the T1 that you find the T1 best fit for the Magnums. I ask because I'm only really look for something inexpensive for the Magnums

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,456 of 8,309

I just re read your opener, it is part of what got me interested in this unit. I think it is comprehensive and well written. The idea that the tubes are key to enjoyment is clear no changes needed.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,457 of 8,309
Quote:
Hey Joeq70 I had a question about the Magnums and the T1. Which other amps have you compared with the T1 that you find the T1 best fit for the Magnums. I ask because I'm only really look for something inexpensive for the Magnums

My experimentation with the Magnums and sources/amps is not exactly comprehensive, but I'll go ahead and list them out:

Sources and amps I've tried with the Magnums:
Samsung Laptop
HRT Headstreamer
uDAC
Audioquest Dragonfly
Sansa Clip+
Iphone 4
Sony SACD Player (not sure of the model--it was at some HI-FI shop)
Mini 3
Ray Samuels Raptor
Digizoid Zo
Headroom micro stack

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's the gist of it. A lot of the stuff I tried is fine. I like the T1 the best so far irrespective of price, but the price is excellent. I just love the what the tubes do for the sound. If you decide to buy a T1, be prepared to snag a couple extra new old stock tubes, however.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #2,458 of 8,309
My experimentation with the Magnums and sources/amps is not exactly comprehensive, but I'll go ahead and list them out:

Sources and amps I've tried with the Magnums:
Samsung Laptop
HRT Headstreamer
uDAC
Audioquest Dragonfly
Sansa Clip+

Iphone 4
Sony SACD Player (not sure of the model--it was at some HI-FI shop)
Mini 3
Ray Samuels Raptor
Digizoid Zo
Headroom micro stack

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's the gist of it. A lot of the stuff I tried is fine. I like the T1 the best so far irrespective of price, but the price is excellent. I just love the what the tubes do for the sound. If you decide to buy a T1, be prepared to snag a couple extra new old stock tubes, however.

thanks I'll prob grab one off amazon and worst comes to worst I will just return it

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2,459 of 8,309
Welp.. my new tube arrived and it didn't fix the problem. I guess i'm going to have to open it up and check inside now.. :frowning2:

EDIT: Well o.o I left it on for a good 20 mins with the distortion and it just cleared up, it sounds amazing!! 
I noticed right away that the JJ tube has some REALLY smooth vocals, strong and powerful mids. The bass isn't as vibrant as the EH, but it's still there!

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2,460 of 8,309
Welp.. my new tube arrived and it didn't fix the problem. I guess i'm going to have to open it up and check inside now.. :frowning2:

Well o.o I left it on for a good 20 mins with the distortion and it just cleared up, it sounds amazing!! 
I noticed right away that the JJ tube has some REALLY smooth vocals, strong and powerful mids. The bass isn't as vibrant as the EH, but it's still there!

Was that second paragraph an update? If the problem is gone then good for you hope you enjoy it! Shouldn't have to wait 20 mins though, so I'd send back the unit for a replacement if that behavior persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back