Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2,431 of 8,309
Got my Aune T1 yesterday (with the 6922 electro harmonix tube). I have been listening alot to it the last 36 hours, with a pair of HD800, K702 and K551. And I must unfortunately I have to say it doesn't sound good with any of my cans. Not that I expected it to sound better than my Apogee Duet 2 + spl Auditor, but it actually worse than the analog output on my macbook air and pro.

The bass is really lacking at the lower regions, and it sounds like it has some kind of spike at around 100-200Hz. There is also bad stuff going on higher up in the treble regions.

My experience with guitar tube amplifiers is that for once my unit doesn't drive the tube enough. The tube is hardly glowing (except for the ridiculous LED-lightning.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #2,432 of 8,309
Quote:
Just received my T1 yesterday but I noticed that the PSU is showing 220V. I lived in canada and we are using 110V here. Is it possible to use that PSU or would I need to get the 110V version or a power converter?

No please. Get another adapter that suits your power rating.
Quote:
Got my Aune T1 yesterday (with the 6922 electro harmonix tube). I have been listening alot to it the last 36 hours, with a pair of HD800, K702 and K551. And I must unfortunately I have to say it doesn't sound good with any of my cans. Not that I expected it to sound better than my Apogee Duet 2 + spl Auditor, but it actually worse than the analog output on my macbook air and pro.

The bass is really lacking at the lower regions, and it sounds like it has some kind of spike at around 100-200Hz. There is also bad stuff going on higher up in the treble regions.

My experience with guitar tube amplifiers is that for once my unit doesn't drive the tube enough. The tube is hardly glowing (except for the ridiculous LED-lightning.

I understand the Apogee Duet 2 is better than the Aune T1 because it's well over 3 times the price. However the analog out from your macbooks sounding better than the Aune? That's some statement you got there.

The DAC unit of the macbook is probably better than the Aune.

Yes there is some funny things going on in the lower bass and upper treble, I thought I'm the only one who noticed this. The tube isn't glowing bright because it's only a tube buffer and not tube amplified. The tube is connected to the DAC portion and not the amp portion of the unit.

You'd probably want to sell the Aune T1 for something better.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,433 of 8,309
Quote:

OK, first things first. Audio is completely subjective so I have no idea what you're hearing and whether it's an issue with the T1.
IMHO experience the T1 is an outstanding value and should be performing to a higher standard than what you're describing.
A few things:
- Are you using USB to connect the T1 to your computer?
- Have you changed the gain jumpers? With cans at 300ohms, I think you should be using the +10 gain option.
- Have you tried a different tube?

Agreed the LED lighting is a bit ridiculous.
The tube will not glow brightly (which should extend it's life) because the tube is not amplifying the audio in the T1. The tube is part of the DAC section and is used as a buffer. The amp in the T1 is solid state (I'm not sure which opamp... anyone?).
Because of the way the T1 is constructed, you HAVE to use the USB DAC in order to use the tube at all. Using the RCA line in (with switch set to LINE) will bypass the tube DAC.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2,434 of 8,309
Vackraord, you are basically going against everyone`s opinion about Aune T1. Even thread starter said in first post that it will sound good with HD800 and K702 annies. Not to mention other users who like it with their cans.
But on the other hand I understand the difference when you "come down" to Aune T1 from great AMP like SPL Auditor.

Although something may be wrong in your setup.
1st. Use USB cable to include tube buffer in audio chain. RCA in uses only SS DAC & AMP portion of Aune T1.
2nd. Use WASAPI, ASIO or KSP plugin to avoid OS internal kernel mixing (I don`t know how your Apogee Duet works with iOS)
3rd. 6922EH tube isn`t something good but it`s not totally bad either. It sounds good with electronical atmospheric music etc.
       but it doesn`t suit for rock/metal/progressive/jazz/ imho. 
4th. Are you using proper power brick? 220V or 110V?
5th. There are gain switches under Aune T1, 3 positions: +0dB, +10dB or +16dB. 6922EH tube shouldn`t lack of bass, it has actually extended and somewhat "boomy" bass and that tube has quite sparkly highs section. 

Edit (Offtopic): found some intresting electronic & piano music. Free for download: http://www.thextheorist.com/

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,435 of 8,309

I think something is likely wrong somewhere, whether the tube or the unit itself. I compared the T1 + HD800 to a Sony SACD player + Ray Samuels Raptor + HD800 and the T1 was just as good.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,437 of 8,309
Although something may be wrong in your setup.
1st. Use USB cable to include tube buffer in audio chain. RCA in uses only SS DAC & AMP portion of Aune T1.
2nd. Use WASAPI, ASIO or KSP plugin to avoid OS internal kernel mixing (I don`t know how your Apogee Duet works with iOS)
3rd. 6922EH tube isn`t something good but it`s not totally bad either. It sounds good with electronical atmospheric music etc.
       but it doesn`t suit for rock/metal/progressive/jazz/ imho. 
4th. Are you using proper power brick? 220V or 110V?
5th. There are gain switches under Aune T1, 3 positions: +0dB, +10dB or +16dB. 6922EH tube shouldn`t lack of bass, it has actually extended and somewhat "boomy" bass and that tube has quite sparkly highs section. 

Edit (Offtopic): found some intresting electronic & piano music. Free for download: http://www.thextheorist.com/

Good points. My modest HD558s sound great with +0 but the phones mentioned undoubtedly need more gain. As you say the 6922 is OK but after the Amperex 7308 it is indeed lacking.

Your suggested download, although not exactly my taste in music is "interesting" and should erase any doubt that the T1 reproduces bass or wide soundstage (and shows what the T1 can do with even phones like the 558, which some claim don't do bass well, but sound pretty powerful with these recordings).

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,438 of 8,309
hey everyone, I recently finished my V5 Magnum build and was looking for suggestions for an amp to pair it with when someone mentioned the Aune T1. I currently am using the O2 and its just a little too sharp in the highs for my taste. Can anyone recommend this amp with Grades? Also if anyone could mention some of the Aune T1s competition at the same price point that would be great.

I've owned the Lyr but I would be buying this strictly for pairing with the V5 Magnums so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #2,439 of 8,309
Quote:

The highs on the T1 are indeed kinda bad. Every headphones I tried with it sounded kinda weird and that's the reason why I returned it. The amp section is ok I guess, but the dac part with the tube buffer is just silly and sounds bad compared to every other source I had on hand at the time.

Oh and that blue LED, its purpose is to give a colder sound to the otherwise warm sound given by the tube buffer.

/sarcasm

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,440 of 8,309
Quote:
I got my Amperex 7308 from this page http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Amperex-7308-vintage-gold-pin%21.html for $50 "driver grade" (which works fine in the tube buffer of the T1). This is a fantastic tube.
The following page offers a number of reasonably priced tubes (mostly non NOS) which you can read about in detail on this thread. http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6dj8 got a Voskhod, but found it too forward for my taste (others love it). I found the Amperex well worth the money.

do you know what the differences are between the grades (platinum/gold/driver) ?

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2,441 of 8,309
do you know what the differences are between the grades (platinum/gold/driver) ?

This is what it says on the Upscale Audio website: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/Testing-Small-Signal-Tubes.html

By the way. Upscale is said to be bad for international shipping costs. Google lists plenty of sites in Australia for new and NOS tubes/valves. For example http://www.evatco.com.au/vataudio.htm

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,442 of 8,309
Quote:
The highs on the T1 are indeed kinda bad. Every headphones I tried with it sounded kinda weird and that's the reason why I returned it. The amp section is ok I guess, but the dac part with the tube buffer is just silly and sounds bad compared to every other source I had on hand at the time.

I guess you came to that conclusion without trying other tubes? Thats kinda silly attitude imo. What are those every headphones and how it sounded weird? And did you even use USB input or used it with RCA in?

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #2,443 of 8,309
Quote:
This is what it says on the Upscale Audio website: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/Testing-Small-Signal-Tubes.html

By the way. Upscale is said to be bad for international shipping costs. Google lists plenty of sites in Australia for new and NOS tubes/valves. For example http://www.evatco.com.au/vataudio.htm

ah thank you very much for the heads up ! :)
I haven't decided if i wanted to buy from them anyways, I was just wondering what they were cause other shops didn't seem to have that option.

I ended up buying a telefunken 7308 on ebay just to see what it's like
I'll post my impressions when they come

size]

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,445 of 8,309
hey everyone, I recently finished my V5 Magnum build and was looking for suggestions for an amp to pair it with when someone mentioned the Aune T1. I currently am using the O2 and its just a little too sharp in the highs for my taste. Can anyone recommend this amp with Grades? Also if anyone could mention some of the Aune T1s competition at the same price point that would be great.

I've owned the Lyr but I would be buying this strictly for pairing with the V5 Magnums so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money.

The T1's amp section is brighter than the O2s, so if you find the O2 bright, you'll most definitely find the T1 bright. You might want to look at maybe a M-Stage or FIio stuff, they tend to lean darker. E17 is the exception where it's more neutral like the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back