Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #2,356 of 8,309
Several of you may have already seen this video of mine, in which I had installed the unit in a space in my desk designed for a PC tower. It started to attract a serious amount of dust there, so I've moved it on top of it in the hope that performance endurance will improve somewhat. I'll keep you posted in case it happens to improve matters.

Did you move the T1 out of that cabinet? Desks like that are aesthetically nice but man... whoever started that trend had no idea what they were doing. My desk came with a PC area like yours and I immediately recognized it as a problem. Heat is an enemy of electronics and suffocating devices meant to use convection cooling will kill them.
Keep the T1 on your desktop if you already haven't put it there.
Mine has definitely gotten hot but it's not burning. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to open it up and cut holes into the slot that runs the center circumference of the case. From what I can tell there's no ventilation built into the unit.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,357 of 8,309
I belive that first tube that will make you really notice differences is Amperex OG. When I got my 6N23P, the main difference between 6922EH was soundstage size (air) and clarity. Like it`s been said many times in this thread 6N23P rockets & reflectors are foward-sounding tubes with quite small soundstage so It`s understood why you won`t notice much difference between stock chinese 6N11 & 6N23P. Also, for me they sound kind of "through the blanket". Seriously, try 6922EH or Amperex OG and you hear the clear difference.

Excellent point. Mine is an Amperex Green, but the wide soundstage and lovely tone create a noticeably different sound than the rockets. Expensive, but I found the difference well worth it.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #2,359 of 8,309
I've heard people say that the AUNE T1 runs 6922 tubes at 24v, when ideally they should be run at 150v (and possibly higher).

Would this mean that the tube being used in the AUNE unit isn't actually having that much of an influence on the sound,

Where as, a full-size tube amplifier, running the tubes at 150v and higher, would?

This depends on a number of design considerations. The 6DJ8 tube family can handle 150v and possibly more. Doing so apparently increases the quality of the audio. However, at those voltages the tube is no longer suitable for powering headphones and would be feeding many times the rates power inputs of most cans. Also, running at those voltages will absolutely decrease tube life. You're talking about tube pre amps which are not desktop components. The T1 is obviously a desktop amplifier meant for the lower power requirements of headphones.
I'd be curious to hear the difference between one of these tubes running at 24v vs 150v but I definitely don't have access to that kind of equipment.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,360 of 8,309
Quote:
I have the same experience, didn't notice a major difference between 6922eh & 6n23p-eb

Actually it`s weird that you didn`t notice difference between those. Although I don`t have EB version, just 6N23P reflector, I can make clear difference between 6922EH vs. 6N23P. Like I told before, main differences are that 6922EH definitely has lot larger soundstage & air, clarity, sparkly highs and extended bass. 6N23P is intimate, relatively small soundstage and for me sounds like "through the blanket". 
Maybe it has something to do with headphones or source. Just checking - are you using one out of those - WASAPI, ASIO or KSP to "feed" T1 with audio code from PC? Some ppl seem to forget to set up their Aune T1 properly. For me switching from waveout/directsound to KSP or ASIO made clear difference. 

But yeah, with Amperex OG everything just feels right and no fatigue with longer listening, very musical & enjoyable tube.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #2,361 of 8,309
I'm listening to some van halen hdcd remasters in foobar using the WASPI plugin and it sounds quite good on the T1. Compared it with my lexicon dac, and tbh I think the lexicon sounds cleaner. Maybe I need new headphones :D

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,362 of 8,309
Again, I belive this clearer sound difference with lexicon comes from using 6N23P tubes with Aune T1. Stock chinese 6N11 & 6N23P aren`t "clean" sounding tubes, they are more for those who love "old" & intimate sound. Get a proper "clear" sounding tube not new headphones.
For example Philips PCC189 is very good & clear sounding: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-PCC189-7ES8-PHILIPS-HEERLEN-FACTORY-NOS-NEW-OWN-BOX-/221248988451?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item338377a523

It`s a good offer and I really recommend you to grab this deal. It`s basically same sounding as Lorenz PCC189 (Heerlen), Mullard ECC88 (Heerlen) & Amperex GAE OG PQ (Heerlen). Totally different league from 6N23P. And if you still won`t make difference compared to 6N11 & 6N23P then it must be your ears.

Amperex OG GAC & GA8 are with more smooth & dynamic highs and bring out more mids section and more enjoyable for longer listening, especially with rock/metal/progressive/jazz.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,363 of 8,309
Hey, if anyone out there has a 6n23P Rocket Logo with rocket only (no other logo on it such as the star/badge thing), then I'm happy to trade a tube for it including the Ultron SQ PCC189. I also have others including an RCA, Matsu****a, Siemens, etc. Just shooot me a pm. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #2,364 of 8,309
I finally brought my T1 home and was able to do a direct comparison against my lexicon plugged into the same computer. Of the two rocket tubes I have, I prefer the one with the star logo as it has punchier bass. Tighter sounding, I guess. As I understand, people prefer the plain rocket logo tube more, not sure why.The bass on the plain rocket tube seems "sloppy" or "muddy", and the stock chinese tube is the most flat sounding I guess.

Compared with the lexicon, the star logo rocket tube in the T1 has the most similar sounding bass qualities, but bass is still better with the lexicon. I compared bass because my ears aren't that good and that was the easiest thing for me to hear. The test track I used was the first 20 seconds of "winning" by keith urban (16bit. 44khz flac, 967kbps bit rate) in foobar, using the WASPI event output plugin. All 3 of my tubes in the T1 have less treble when compared with the lexicon, which I guess is ultimately fatiguing, especially since my MDR-V6s seem to accentuate treble.

In regards to music like diana krall or some live dire straits with piano bits, they sound better on the T1 regardless of which tube I use. Guess I'll keep listening and see what else I notice over time.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #2,365 of 8,309
Quote:
Hey, if anyone out there has a 6n23P Rocket Logo with rocket only (no other logo on it such as the star/badge thing), then I'm happy to trade a tube for it including the Ultron SQ PCC189. I also have others including an RCA, Matsu****a, Siemens, etc. Just shooot me a pm. 

You are willing to give gold label Ultron SQ PCC189 for rocket? O_o Sorry but I don`t understand. Well, seems to be matter of taste. Wish I had rocket to offer.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,366 of 8,309
I have 2 but I'm keeping both. Cool looking and sounding tube.

E: It's about synergy and I'm sure Magnums sound fantastic with T1 Rocket combo.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,367 of 8,309
Actually it`s weird that you didn`t notice difference between those. Although I don`t have EB version, just 6N23P reflector, I can make clear difference between 6922EH vs. 6N23P. Like I told before, main differences are that 6922EH definitely has lot larger soundstage & air, clarity, sparkly highs and extended bass. 6N23P is intimate, relatively small soundstage and for me sounds like "through the blanket". 
Maybe it has something to do with headphones or source. Just checking - are you using one out of those - WASAPI, ASIO or KSP to "feed" T1 with audio code from PC? Some ppl seem to forget to set up their Aune T1 properly. For me switching from waveout/directsound to KSP or ASIO made clear difference. 

But yeah, with Amperex OG everything just feels right and no fatigue with longer listening, very musical & enjoyable tube.

I'm running Foobar2K and I've had WASAPI event set up since my first dac/amp, the E10. T1 is my 3rd or 4th. Did a quick comparison and even now, I still don't notice a huge difference. The EB doesn't sound anything like your description of the non-EB version though. The soundstage isn't huge but it's not small by no means. It's more coherent than the 6922 as that it's more spherical. The EB just isn't as wide as the 6922EH but at least as deep. I find that EB is detailed but just not as sharply defined. I do need to add that I've only used the T1's amp when doing comparision as I prefer other amps over it. I have a slightly bright headphone already and the bright SS amp exacerbates that a bit too much and made things a bit too thin sounding.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2,368 of 8,309
Thanks for info MrEleventy about EB. 

Quote:
I have 2 but I'm keeping both. Cool looking and sounding tube.

E: It's about synergy and I'm sure Magnums sound fantastic with T1 Rocket combo.

Yeah, probably it`s about that combo and synergy. Sometime I just wish I had the money to try other expensive cans because I`m starting to think too much "locked" to HD-681 mkII + Aune T1 combo. My tube reviews come only from that perspective, so with other combos other tubes might get more appreciation from me. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,369 of 8,309
Got mine yesterday. Very impressed with the sound quality, although the mids are not as clear as my Asus xonar essence one. However, the differences are quite small and with its 1/4 price compared to the Asus xonar essence one, it's definitely a great dac/Amp.

One question though, my black version has a led light that gives out white/yellow colour. I thought all aune t1 have blue led light under the tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back