Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,311 of 8,309
Hey man, thanks for the help. I don't really think I can send it back now, it was a ebay seller and it's been 2 months. I'm really hoping it's the tube now.. I wish local stores had these kind of things so I could just TEST it.. 

If it's the tubes issue I don't want to get EH again because I want something that is good and will actually last. First impression on that tube is a bad experience for me if it lasted that long. 

And I really do care about my quality so I would not be able to go with the ELE dac. Thanks guys though i'll see if it's the problem.

EDIT: Also I listen mostly to EDM, Chill, hip hop.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,312 of 8,309
Trying out a 6N1P-EB tube today. Playing on my M-Audio DSM-3 Monitors from my Aune T1. Bought them after a tip from Rock-Grotto and Lyr tube rolling thread. They are Voshkod Rockets from 1974. At first there was static noise and the bass sounded horrible, but when the tubes warmed up and after a few hours they now sound great, especially playing Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD ->Flac. Theres unbelivable bass extension and slam, nice mids, and a clean upper frequency range, possible a bit rolled of in the treble. There's also possibly a little bit recessed upper mid. Good stereo imaging, but maybe not so much in depth. They're really engaging and fun. I like them really well. They might change more after a few more hours, so it can get better...but also worse:wink:

I have also taken this newfound head-fi passion a little bit further, and ordered me a Project Ember amp from G1217. I got so many different tubes, and this amp can handle plenty different 9-pin tubes.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,313 of 8,309
Quote:
 I listen mostly to EDM, Chill, hip hop.

Then I recommend you to get 6922EH again or cheap Tungsram PCC88 from eBay. For me 6922EH is still one of the best tubes for electronic/dubstep/hip-hop/house etc. music (with external speakers). For headphones Tungsram PCC88 is littlebit better due to tighter bass & kick. Also JAN Sylvania 6922 green label is great choice but it`s hard to find and not so cheap.
JJ E88CC should also be airy sounding with large soundstage as I have read but I don`t have it to compare.

One thing is sure - don`t get 6N23P for these genres! 

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,315 of 8,309
And what tube did you buy? Like I said, 6N23P isn`t good for these genres you listen. Btw, don`t cheer so early, problem might lay in DAC part of Aune T1 not the tube alone.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2,317 of 8,309
Quote:
Trying out a 6N1P-EB tube today. Playing on my M-Audio DSM-3 Monitors from my Aune T1. Bought them after a tip from Rock-Grotto and Lyr tube rolling thread. They are Voshkod Rockets from 1974. At first there was static noise and the bass sounded horrible, but when the tubes warmed up and after a few hours they now sound great, especially playing Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD ->Flac. Theres unbelivable bass extension and slam, nice mids, and a clean upper frequency range, possible a bit rolled of in the treble. There's also possibly a little bit recessed upper mid. Good stereo imaging, but maybe not so much in depth. They're really engaging and fun. I like them really well. They might change more after a few more hours, so it can get better...but also worse:wink:

I have also taken this newfound head-fi passion a little bit further, and ordered me a Project Ember amp from G1217. I got so many different tubes, and this amp can handle plenty different 9-pin tubes.

Good post! Let us know how the Ember compares to T1. I'm also interested to hear your impressions on anniversaries and X1. Just got my X1 and the annies are so much better with music. X1 are now my gaming/entertainment headphones. Looking at your headphone inventory I'd say we have quite similar headphone taste :wink:

btw have you tried using M-stage with T1?

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2,318 of 8,309
Quote:
Well can you recommend a more high end version of that tube. I've got the money to spend on one that may be more durable. I don't want that tube again. I'm using headphones btw

More high-end version of 6N23-EB? EB is already "high-end" military version. It`s just not so good tube sonically for the genres you listen. Or did you mean 6922EH? You could get gold pin 6922EH but imho it`s pointless. And ditching one tube just because you got broken/bad one is also stupid imo. It is great cheap tube for your genres. You could just as easily get some other more expensive tube that will go bad same way.
Firstly figure out if it`s tube that is causing your Aune T1 problems or not and then start thinking about other more expensive tubes. Lets say you are going to get tube worth around 50$ and when you get it you discover your Aune T1 still having same problems? It isn`t fun, isn`t it? 
Dude, start reading this forum. I already gave you recommendations and the are lot of information about tubes in this thread. And sorry for what I`m about to say - stop being p u s s y about tubes breaking and wanting more durable tubes! Like Salvatore already told you, tubes are like light bulbs, they don`t last forever and you never know how good tube you get. If you buy a brand new tube it might sound awful at the beginning. It takes time to burn it in and when it does, it probably has it`s best sounding period between 90% to 60% from the tube lifetime. Under 60% of tube lifetime left, it probably gets worse, maybe increased hiss, hum, distortion, uneven channels etc. Of course these are rough figures I`m giving but just to bring you down on earth. I`m going to repeat my recommendation - for headphones and those genres you mentioned, get cheap NOS Tungsram PCC88 from ebay. And if it calms your mind - PCC88 should last longer due to higher heater voltage specification. 

Here is link for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCC88-TUNGSRAM-PAIR-OF-TUBES-NOS-PERFECT-SHAPE-MADE-IN-HUNGARY-/221252630714?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3383af38ba

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,319 of 8,309
Quote:

btw have you tried using M-stage with T1?

I hadn't actually thought of that. That's someting I have to try. Sounds like a good idea:)

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #2,320 of 8,309
Quote:
I hadn't actually thought of that. That's someting I have to try. Sounds like a good idea:)

Please do and report back to us. If the results are positive I know what I'll be buying next :wink:

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,322 of 8,309
You get benefit/change from tube only if you are using USB as Aune T1 input. RCA input doesn`t involve tube buffer in audio chain. It has been repeated so many times in this thread already. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,323 of 8,309
Thanks dude, I just tested my T1 with the back with my TV audio and it works without the  tube!! YESS!!! I can't wait to get my new tube. Thanks everybody.

Well can you recommend a more high end version of that tube. I've got the money to spend on one that may be more durable. I don't want that tube again. I'm using headphones btw

It works ok in line in doesn't eliminate the fact the dac circuit could be the problem. In that case, changing a tube won't solve your problem.

like what coil mentioned, a spoilt tube in a presumably short usage, if it really is spoilt in your case, doesn't mean the entire production of the series is crocked.. I feel 6922EH is a rather good tube in its own right.. The dryness can be appreciated with some dark headphones.. The air and imaging it has also can compliment certain cans quite well..

That brought us to this point, maybe you can let us know what headphones you using, so we can give a more appropriate selections for you.. One man's meat is another man's poison.. Someone can tell u telefunken cca is great (since u want high end), but who knows a tungsram e88cc red label can satisfy u already?

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,324 of 8,309
Quote:
You get benefit/change from tube only if you are using USB as Aune T1 input. RCA input doesn`t involve tube buffer in audio chain. It has been repeated so many times in this thread already. 

Who said I was gonna use the RCA input? Computer->USB->Aune T1->RCA Out->RCA-in Matrix M-Stage.....voila...tubes and opamps galore:wink:..and also actually a "real" pre-amp funtion for my M-Audio DSM-3's as well:wink:

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,325 of 8,309
My post was meant for marts30. Less ego-tripping? :D Don`t take it seriously, it`s meant through humor prism. Surely you just missed that one post between :)

So, if I run my yamaha receiver/speakers through this as a dac will the sound benefit/change from the tube(s)?

Forgot to mention that you should use direct-mode on your receiver otherwise receiver DAC will also alter the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back