Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #2,252 of 8,309
Jul 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,255 of 8,309
Thanks. Would anyone know how the little dot 1+ compares to the aune t1 ?

The Little Dot is a hybrid (combining tubes and transistors) amplifier. It has no DAC. The Aune is a hybrid DAC with a solid state amplifier. The tube (a 6922 or equivalent) is in the DAC section. If you already have a DAC you could use the Aune amp but you wouldn't get the benefit of the tube. If you have a solid state DAC and want tube sound, a tube amp ((there are many) or hybrid amp like the LD is what you want.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,256 of 8,309
Quote:
Would the tubes be something like this? http://www.quartzacoustic.com/shop/driver-tubes/amperex-orange-globe-logo-6dj86922-pre-amp-tube/ Thanks.

Yes. I have 3 different OG`s and the link you gave should be GAC coded. Imo it`s the best & smoothest sounding out of OG`s I have. Other OG`s I have are GA8 & GAE coded and they are with A-frame dimple disc later production tubes.

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #2,257 of 8,309
The Little Dot is a hybrid (combining tubes and transistors) amplifier. It has no DAC. The Aune is a hybrid DAC with a solid state amplifier. The tube (a 6922 or equivalent) is in the DAC section. If you already have a DAC you could use the Aune amp but you wouldn't get the benefit of the tube. If you have a solid state DAC and want tube sound, a tube amp ((there are many) or hybrid amp like the LD is what you want.

Well stated.
I own the LD MKII and like it a lot.
From what I've been told, the 6DJ8 family of tubes are better audio tubes than the stock 6AK5 tube family that the LD uses. That said, you can adapt the LD amps to use a far greater variety of tubes which are both sonically excellent and far cheaper per tube.

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2,258 of 8,309
If the SSD Amp section of the T1 isn't *quite* enough driving power for me,

Could I use the "Line-out" ports, to connect it to another amp?

My understanding is that the signal chain would then be like this:

Laptop -> USB -> Aune T1 Tube DAC section - RCA - Fiio E09K (in this example).

Effectively, instead of using the SSD amplifier in the T1, it would use the SSD in the E09K.. Right?

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2,260 of 8,309
Hey Guys!

I just won an auction for this tube and I'm wondering exactly which tube is this? The seller listed it as a 7dj8 but I figured with the orange globe visible, how bad can it be.

F0OhcDP.jpg

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #2,261 of 8,309
If the SSD Amp section of the T1 isn't *quite* enough driving power for me,

Could I use the "Line-out" ports, to connect it to another amp?

My understanding is that the signal chain would then be like this:

Laptop -> USB -> Aune T1 Tube DAC section - RCA - Fiio E09K (in this example).

Effectively, instead of using the SSD amplifier in the T1, it would use the SSD in the E09K.. Right?

Yes it is possible to use the Aune as a DAC only. I don't know enough about the E09K (which has a slot for the E07 or E17 as a DAC) to know how it would work with an external DAC, but if so, the Aune should work. What headphones do you want to use? With 3 levels of gain you may not need more amp. Search this thread for the headphones you want to use, I have Sennheiser HD558s which are easy to drive, I use 0 gain with the T1. There are entries stating that the HD600 and 650 are no problem and Hifiman HE400, 500 and a number of Grados as well. Clearly there are "hard to drive" cans that the Aune isn't up to but I don't know if the Fiio would be up to them either.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2,262 of 8,309
Thanks for the help so far guys. Would using a fiio e7 as a dac with a little dot 1+ as a amp be better or worse than using the aune t1 by itself.

To use the E7 as a DAC only you would use a Fiio L7 connector. I have an E7, which I used for a year before I got the T1. I like the E7 as a portable DAC/amp but the T1 is in a different league. Quality wise I don't know how the E7/1+ combo would compare with the Aune.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #2,265 of 8,309
Quote:
Hey Guys!

I just won an auction for this tube and I'm wondering exactly which tube is this? The seller listed it as a 7dj8 but I figured with the orange globe visible, how bad can it be.

All the info you need: post #2016 on page 135, http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2010#post_9502294

Quote:
Would you guys know anything about this tube? http://www.quartzacoustic.com/?product=electro-harmonix-6922eh-pre-amp-tube

It's the current stock tube. Decent russian tube, but if you're shopping at quartz I'd go for orange globe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back