Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2,221 of 8,309
Quote:
Why 6N1P-EV ?There are other cheap alternatives like Ultron PCC189, Philips PCC189, 6N23P (rocket logo). Ultron is best out of them but hard to get outside EU. Philips PCC189 is widely available but with very different price range. 6N23P is most easily found and rocket logo is preferred. For example this offer for rocket logo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N23P-E88CC-6DJ8-Tubes-NOS-/321152919972?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ac634a9a4
And if you listen mostly electronic music, go for Tungsram PCC88, which is also found quite cheap on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Tungsram-PCC88-7DJ8-Hungary-70s-Valve-Vacuum-Dual-Triode-Audio-Guitar-Tube-/200937674426?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ec8d196ba

As far as I know and read of that stock 6N11 chinese tube is pretty crappy tube, no wonder you don`t get the wow-effect.

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. I ended up going with that rocket 6N23P in link you posted. 2 tubes ended up costing $25AU delivered, and I figured I can probably sell one locally for $15, as some people don't want to wait. 

I pretty much listen to all types of music except for electronic, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any difference. There wasn't any particular logic with going for a 6N1P-EV initially, other than trying to find the cheapest replacement for the stock 6N11 tube. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #2,222 of 8,309
Although I recommended Tungsram PCC88 for electronic music, it does very well with rock/metal/progressive also :wink: Just, it fits better for electronic music imho. 6922EH is the tube I would not get for other music than electronic due to smooth flowing & deep bass, littlebit "recessed" mids, bright top end and large soundstage. If I were you, I would still get one Tungsram PCC88 just to get an idea about soundstage and "air" differences. Remember, differences about tubes we are all talking here are exaggerated to give more idea about differences so you might even like it Tungsram PCC88 more than 6N23P. For example I am listening Tesseract - Altered State atm with it and sounds very good but if I compare it to Ultron PCC189 gold label - no competition for me in the area of rock/metal/progressive, it just has better everything and much more natural, musical & enjoyable to listen. It`s the best tube alongside with Amperex OG GAC, Amperex OG GA8 and Ultron PCC189 white label. Roughly told, next "2nd league" for me would be Amperex OG GAE (PQ logo), Miniwatt-Dario ECC189, Miniwatt-Dario PCC189, Siemens PCC189 and "3rd league" would be Siemens PCC88, Mullard ECC88 (Heerlen, newer shield logo), Philips PCC189 (Heerlen), Lorenz Sel PCC189 (Heerlen). But it all comes down in the end to personal preference, hearing, source material, music genre, cans/speakers etc. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2,223 of 8,309
I just subscribed to head-fi, after reading alot in this thread.
The aune arrived two weeks ago with the eh tube. Hooked up my old sennheiser hd565 ovation, and was convinced. Now the finetuning begins. I already ordered a new headphone at my local dealer. I found the sennheiser HD600 the best with the Aune t1. Even the hd800 and all beyers ,and grado's were defeated by the hd600 regarding soundstage. Unfortunately it was not on stock, so i'm still waiting for the hd600.
Tube rolling: all tubes just arrived. The voskhod's, a Philips e88c and a philips pcc189. I'll post my experiences soon, when the hd600 has a decent break in and can determine the differences.
Maybe some can give advice on which tube to start with...:D

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,224 of 8,309
Just got some Reflector 6n23p and Tesla ECC88. I own 15 tubes in total, only 7 different types, but slowly I'm getting myself to the club:). ECC88 is much closer to PCC88 than to E88CC. Good tube. About reflector... I'm missing a terminology, dunno "dark" would be the word? It has it's "own signature". Nice tube, but I've red post's about it's good bass and...maybe it'll need some burn in.

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,225 of 8,309
Enuma, imho 6n23p reflector also has it`s own sound signature but personally I don`t like it with Aune T1 due to too "through blanket" sounding and bass isn`t great either. If someone would like "old" & "thick" sounding tube I would rather recommend Mullard PCC189 or Mazda Belvu PCC189, much more pleasant sounding tubes. Don`t get me wrong, 6n23p reflektor is good but imo not worth getting, at least for me, but depends lot on taste.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2,229 of 8,309
Quote:
Just got some Reflector 6n23p and Tesla ECC88. I own 15 tubes in total, only 7 different types, but slowly I'm getting myself to the club:). ECC88 is much closer to PCC88 than to E88CC. Good tube. About reflector... I'm missing a terminology, dunno "dark" would be the word? It has it's "own signature". Nice tube, but I've red post's about it's good bass and...maybe it'll need some burn in.

Not sure if Rocket is any better than the reflector, but yeah warm bassy forward sounding tube. Not as refined as the better tubes and bass lacks some resolution (feels boomy at times). Not my best tube, but very nice for the money (I got 2 for $10). I wouldn't describe these russian tubes to have especially good bass. Maybe quantity but not as much quality imo. I haven't tested reflector, but what I've read I think people should go for the Voshkod rocket.

Quote:
Are there such things as fake aune T1's. If i buy one on ebay, is it guaranteed that it's real?

Not sure about fake Aunes, but fake ebay sellers for sure.

Quote:
Where do you guys get the Ultron PCC189?
All I can find is the Tungsram PCC189, which isn't the same thing right?

No not the same thing :) Ultron is pretty hard to find from ebay. I got mine from local tube seller. Also you should keep in mind that there are at least 3 different Ultron versions out there. They are relabeled tubes so you could have major sonic differences between different tubes. Coil and that one Norwegian guy (forgot his name) probably have the most info about Ultron tubes.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2,231 of 8,309
Quote:
When buying from eBay do I need to worry about any duties or taxes. It's shipping from china

Yes. Whatever apply in your country. I live in EU so I ordered mine from UK.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2,232 of 8,309
I just got my nos Amperex JAN 7308, green label from Upscale Audio. Although it is "driver" grade, it sounds very musical, an almost liquid sound. Even though I have only a couple of hours on it, it seems more refined than the 6922 EH that I have done much of my listening on. How much of this is a placebo effect, I will figure out as I burn the tube in.

Ok I've had this tube for 2 weeks now and it's really come into its own. The so-called "liquid" sound (not my term, but I see what it means) makes this a joy to listen to. This has a lovely broad soundstage. In small acoustic ensembles it sounds like you in the middle of the instruments. Solo piano, guitar etc sound great. Solo voice marvelous as well (I generally like the female voice, but even, solo male voices are pretty good with this). I do much of my listening of classical and jazz (the latter taste developed because it sounds great on my set up) the Aune with this tube sounds great with this type of music but with classic rock as well. In fact so far I haven't found anything that this tube doesn't handle well. I also find that fairly low bit rate stuff sounds pretty good "smoothed out" by the Amperex. OK it's not an "accurate" representation of the MP3 sound and 320 or FLAC is miles better, but I am talking about enjoying music here, and the tube really helps.
Bottom line, this tube cost $50 USD for "driver grade" but it has been a worthwhile investment, I hope this NOS (1968) tube lasts for years. My 6922eh and Voskhod are going to take a bit of a rest.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2,233 of 8,309
Quote:
Where do you guys get the Ultron PCC189?
All I can find is the Tungsram PCC189, which isn't the same thing right?

If you are in EU then Uraltone.com, electols.com sell Ultron PCC189`s but they are white label probably. I have both, Ultron SQ PCC189 gold label and Ultron PCC189/7ES8 white label, both are great tubes. Compared to white label, gold label has littlebit tighter bass & kick, tinybit better mids, soundstage is tinybit pushed more foward and highs/mid-highs are smoother (same or better than Amperex OG GAC). Gold label is superb with rock/metal/progressive/jazz and is very similiar to Amperex OG GAC. White label is more widely available and suits better for every genre. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,235 of 8,309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back