Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #2,206 of 8,309
Recently after seeing the raving reviews about Ultrasone Pro 900 headphone for its capability to handle the bass, I ordered one online. How do you guys feel about this headphone. Mainly I'm going to use it in my office with Fiio E17. For home use I've Beyerdynamics T1. Does anyone have experience with Ultrasone Pro 900 cans when connected with Aune T1? By the way I'm using Telefunken E88CC tube with my T1.  I'm excited to try my new cans with T1 :) Thanks.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,207 of 8,309
Got my Amperex 7308 today (orange PQ shield logo). Was using the 6922EH that came with the amp. My initial reaction was how DEEP the bass suddenly sounds (using it with my SP's as usual), like it's reaching further down than where it was. My volume seems to be a bit quieter than it was on the EH, but that's fine with me. Everything is quite clean and detailed, almost a little TOO clean; my ears don't have to deal with distractions anymore. Will post more impressions later.

Quote:
Recently after seeing the raving reviews about Ultrasone Pro 900 headphone for its capability to handle the bass, I ordered one online. How do you guys feel about this headphone. Mainly I'm going to use it in my office with Fiio E17. For home use I've Beyerdynamics T1. Does anyone have experience with Ultrasone Pro 900 cans when connected with Aune T1? By the way I'm using Telefunken E88CC tube with my T1.  I'm excited to try my new cans with T1 :) Thanks.

Funny you should mention that... I had a dubstep craving, so I brought my 900's over from the old house to where I am now. Other than the bass (which is truly impressive), the soundstage always has this really excellent extended feel to it, even compared to my SP's. I do think the SP's have better soundstage when you stop and listen, but the 900's are very in your face about it. Sounds that pan from left to right are extremely obvious about it. A lot of people recommend letting 900's burn in for quite some time, and I will say they definitely mellow out with extended use. Not to say that they ever become actually mellow... These are meant to be a fun headphone, and a lot of people find them too intense. I like them though. And quick EDIT since I didn't outright say it, I think the Aune is a great match for these. It really lends to that wide soundstage.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,208 of 8,309
Try to chane 6922EH tube for russian 6N23P or Amperex OG and if you can`t make difference even then - it's your ears thingy.

Actually, I didn't buy the upgraded version and my stock tube is a 6N11 Chinese tube. Most people seem to think this is pretty meh? I'm looking at a 6N1P-EV which I can get for about $1.50. Like you said, maybe my ears aren't good enough to detect any change, so I'm not keen on spending $30 on a gold lion 6922. Any idea if the 6N1P-EV will work? I can't remember which page it was on, but I remember seeing somebody tried a 6N1P, but not the EV variant.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #2,209 of 8,309
I tried 6N23P-EV and it seems there is a hearable difference versus standard 6922: better scene and improved bass response. It should be checked more carefully though. I don't risk to put 6N1P due to bigger current on the grid.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #2,210 of 8,309
Hello I'm new here, and I just received my Aune T1 today. Have a few questions that might have been answered already, but just need a confirmation. Plugged in RCA Out -> XLR on my M-Audio BX5 D2 monitors, USB in from my computer and RCA In from my phone/mp3, with and HD681 Evo in the headphone jack of the Aune T1. (Everything is plugged in to test the DAC/AMP out.)

When set to USB on the Aune T1 with everything plugged in, both the speaker and the headphones have sound coming out, and the volume knob only controls volume on the headphones. From what I saw in this thread, this is normal(?)

When set to Line, and both computer(USB) and phone(3.5->Dual RCA on Aune) playing music, the monitors play sound from the computer and the headphones from the phone.

I presume that what I hear is normal for the Aune, but why doesn't phone->speakers work (RCA->RCA)? Also when both the computer and phone are playing audio, is the DAC only used for phone->headphones(RCA In->TRS/3.5mm) and the Amp used for the speakers(USB->RCA Out)?

The RCA->RCA not working doesn't really affect me much as I still have an mp3 connection to speakers with a 3.5mm->Dual TRS cable, but how does the Aune actually function? I know that a USB->headphone connection will fully utilize the Tube DAC and amp, and that RCA In only uses the tube amp, but what about RCA->RCA and USB->RCA? Thanks for any answers/clarifications/corrections. I really couldn't find anything with a forum search, and my memory is a bit hazy.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,211 of 8,309
When set to USB on the Aune T1 with everything plugged in, both the speaker and the headphones have sound coming out, and the volume knob only controls volume on the headphones. From what I saw in this thread, this is normal(?)

Yes. It's a steady level volume out that's tied to the DAC. Volume pot is tied to the SS amp portion.

When set to Line, and both computer(USB) and phone(3.5->Dual RCA on Aune) playing music, the monitors play sound from the computer and the headphones from the phone.

I presume that what I hear is normal for the Aune, but why doesn't phone->speakers work (RCA->RCA)? Also when both the computer and phone are playing audio, is the DAC only used for phone->headphones(RCA In->TRS/3.5mm) and the Amp used for the speakers(USB->RCA Out)?

The RCA->RCA not working doesn't really affect me much as I still have an mp3 connection to speakers with a 3.5mm->Dual TRS cable, but how does the Aune actually function? I know that a USB->headphone connection will fully utilize the Tube DAC and amp, and that RCA In only uses the tube amp, but what about RCA->RCA and USB->RCA? Thanks for any answers/clarifications/corrections. I really couldn't find anything with a forum search, and my memory is a bit hazy.

It's a Tube DAC, not tube amp. Tube is only used when USB is the input.

RCA in bypasses the DAC and is only tied to the SS amp portion of the T1. RCA In > Heaphone jack is the only path that it can go. DAC path is either Line out (RCA out) or headphone jack.

Paths are as follow :
USB > RCA out
USB > SS AMP Headphone jack

RCA in > SS AMP Headphone jack

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,212 of 8,309
Alright I think I got it. So the only way to utilize both the amp and the tube DAC is for USB in. RCA In only takes advantage of the amp, which completely ignores the tube DAC properties. Thank you very much for the explanation.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2,214 of 8,309
Only using the stock 6922EH, but compared to my previous setup of motherboard realtek and phone audio, the T1 is much better. I'll probably go with one of the suggested tubes once I get more money, but I'll first need to get some good headphones that will make use of the DAC/amp. Seems the 6DJ8 Orange Globes are pretty decent, so I'll probably get those in the future.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #2,215 of 8,309
Quote:
Actually, I didn't buy the upgraded version and my stock tube is a 6N11 Chinese tube. Most people seem to think this is pretty meh? I'm looking at a 6N1P-EV which I can get for about $1.50. Like you said, maybe my ears aren't good enough to detect any change, so I'm not keen on spending $30 on a gold lion 6922. Any idea if the 6N1P-EV will work? I can't remember which page it was on, but I remember seeing somebody tried a 6N1P, but not the EV variant.

Why 6N1P-EV ?There are other cheap alternatives like Ultron PCC189, Philips PCC189, 6N23P (rocket logo). Ultron is best out of them but hard to get outside EU. Philips PCC189 is widely available but with very different price range. 6N23P is most easily found and rocket logo is preferred. For example this offer for rocket logo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N23P-E88CC-6DJ8-Tubes-NOS-/321152919972?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ac634a9a4
And if you listen mostly electronic music, go for Tungsram PCC88, which is also found quite cheap on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Tungsram-PCC88-7DJ8-Hungary-70s-Valve-Vacuum-Dual-Triode-Audio-Guitar-Tube-/200937674426?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ec8d196ba

As far as I know and read of that stock 6N11 chinese tube is pretty crappy tube, no wonder you don`t get the wow-effect.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #2,216 of 8,309
Quote:

Thank you both for your recommendations :)
-AudioFrog

Quote:
That`s "nothing" compared to my collection. Atm I have 25 tubes + 6 arriving any moment + some more tubes on trigger :D
That black-money-sucking-box just won`t stop! HELP!!! :D

Btw, seems that your have Amperex OG with single support leg dimple disc? Is it GAC coded? If it is, how you like it compared to others?
It`s still one of my best tubes along with Ultron PCC189 (gold label) , A-frame OG (GA8) and Miniwatt-Dario PCC189.

From my collection I can recommend Mullard PCC189, Mazda Belvu PCC189 or 6N23P Reflector... intimate, warm & "old" sounding tubes.
Good for classic rock/jazz.

I just received my Aune T1.  Finally!  The same day I received my 6N23P Reflector in the mail, as recommended that CoiL.  The included tube (6922) to me sounded too clinical, a bit underwhelming.  Maybe it requires some burn in?  But, I popped the 6N23P Reflector and got more of that analog, vintage sound I was looking for from oldies, blues, jazz, and rock.  Well worth the purchase.  I got mine from http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6N23P and they were pretty quick to ship.  No hassles.  I also just ordered an Amperex Orange Globe from ebay- I got a NOS for $23.95.  I hope it's a great addition to my tube collection.  I should be getting that next week.  

One thing I haven't played around with are the setting on the bottom of the Aune T1.  Have people played around with these?  Does it make a big difference? 

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2,218 of 8,309
I just received my Aune T1.  Finally!  The same day I received my 6N23P Reflector in the mail, as recommended that CoiL.  The included tube (6922) to me sounded too clinical, a bit underwhelming.  Maybe it requires some burn in?  But, I popped the 6N23P Reflector and got more of that analog, vintage sound I was looking for from oldies, blues, jazz, and rock.  Well worth the purchase.  I got mine from http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6N23P and they were pretty quick to ship.  No hassles.  I also just ordered an Amperex Orange Globe from ebay- I got a NOS for $23.95.  I hope it's a great addition to my tube collection.  I should be getting that next week.  

One thing I haven't played around with are the setting on the bottom of the Aune T1.  Have people played around with these?  Does it make a big difference? 

Which gain setting you use depends on your headphones. For low impedance phones like my Sennheiser HD558s the 0 gain is all you need.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,219 of 8,309
Anyone tried the Amperex PCC88? Just got one off Ebay, and also a lot off 5 Voshkod 6n23p with different years spanning 69-80.And also two Reflektor 6n23p from 66 and unknown. Not crazymoney for these tubes. Spent inn total about $60.:) All tested new supposedly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back