Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,041 of 8,309
It's quite scary to see the tube collection growing... Aune T1 is not cheap after alll. But Tube-rolling is very fun indeed.

The remaining two should arrive on Monday, I would stop for now until I upgrade to WA7 Firefiles or something else.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,042 of 8,309
Quote:
It's quite scary to see the tube collection growing...

Cool collection! Now you need some proper storage system for your tubes. My suggestion is to go for a small cigar box coated with foam plastic.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,043 of 8,309
Quote:
The problem is the source material that you're listening to. Garbage in, garbage out.
Your MP3s are likely highly compressed and it's going to be very easy to hear that compression with higher grade audio equipment. If you're already hearing compression distortion in your music, the T1 is only going to make it worse because it'll resolve details in the music better.
If you're going to use MP3s, use at least 320kpbs recordings.
People here typically like to use FLAC recordings although I've read some controversial claims that unless you're using several thousand dollars in equipment, most people wouldn't hear the difference between 320kpbs MP3s and FLAC recordings.

Hi inphu,
Almost all of my mp3s are rips from CDs that I own (I've never purchased from itunes) and at 320kbps.  I understand that a dac wont make 128kbps sound good.  But, with high quality mp3s, CDs, or Flac, I'm wondering if a specific tube will bring more analog sounding life to it. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,044 of 8,309
Quote:
Hi inphu,
Almost all of my mp3s are rips from CDs that I own (I've never purchased from itunes) and at 320kbps.  I understand that a dac wont make 128kbps sound good.  But, with high quality mp3s, CDs, or Flac, I'm wondering if a specific tube will bring more analog sounding life to it. 

Interesting. What's your setup?
The warmest and most "analog" tubes I'm aware of are Mullard tubes made in the UK. These tend to have a bit more rolled off highs and sometimes "tubby" bass but it might be more of what you're looking for. Amperex are the next in line beyond that. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,045 of 8,309
Quote:
It's quite scary to see the tube collection growing... Aune T1 is not cheap after alll. But Tube-rolling is very fun indeed.

The remaining two should arrive on Monday, I would stop for now until I upgrade to WA7 Firefiles or something else.

That`s "nothing" compared to my collection. Atm I have 25 tubes + 6 arriving any moment + some more tubes on trigger :D
That black-money-sucking-box just won`t stop! HELP!!! :D

Btw, seems that your have Amperex OG with single support leg dimple disc? Is it GAC coded? If it is, how you like it compared to others?
It`s still one of my best tubes along with Ultron PCC189 (gold label) , A-frame OG (GA8) and Miniwatt-Dario PCC189.

Quote:
I'm wondering if a specific tube will bring more analog sounding life to it. 

From my collection I can recommend Mullard PCC189, Mazda Belvu PCC189 or 6N23P Reflector... intimate, warm & "old" sounding tubes.
Good for classic rock/jazz.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,046 of 8,309
Cool collection! Now you need some proper storage system for your tubes. My suggestion is to go for a small cigar box coated with foam plastic.

Thanks for your suggestion. I saw your box on the page 99 and absolutely love it. Currently I simply put them in the original boxes because I will have to move back after I graduate.

It is possible bring these tubes along with the flight? Or should I ship them seperately?

Quote:
That`s "nothing" compared to my collection. Atm I have 25 tubes + 6 arriving any moment + some more tubes on trigger :D

Btw, seems that your have Amperex OG with single support leg dimple disc? Is it GAC coded? If it is, how you like it compared to others?
It`s still one of my best tubes along with Ultron PCC189 (gold label) , A-frame OG (GA8) and Miniwatt-Dario PCC189.

From my collection I can recommend Mullard PCC189, Mazda Belvu PCC189 or 6N23P Reflector... intimate, warm & "old" sounding tubes.

Wow! You should show your collection to us :) This little dac/amp is indeed money sucker lol. I would like to buy more but I just found my favourite tube, so I think I could stop lol. Might upgrade to better kit soon. But I still cant think of any.

However, it's quite hard for me to get some tubes in UK. My Amperex 7308 Gold Pin ($85) cost me $50 for the shipment alone. Plus got tax for another £30. My last two tubes are still in the custom too.

My Orange Amperex says GAC 49F4. I only use it for a few minutes before I test another tubes that came on the same day. So I cannot judge yet, but I will compare it with Globe version too once it arrives :)

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2,047 of 8,309
One note, your Amperex OG GAC should be [size=medium]Δ[/size]9F4 not 4. My GAC is [size=medium]Δ9F3. Δ = Made in Holland Heerlen.[/size]
You can read about my tubes from this thread, they all are mentioned here more or less.
And I don`t get it... how it`s hard to get tubes from UK? I get most of my tubes from eBay.UK and cheaply, even when including posting cost to Estonia.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,048 of 8,309
Quote:
One note, your Amperex OG GAC should be [size=medium]Δ[/size]9F4 not 4. My GAC is [size=medium]Δ9F3. Δ = Made in Holland Heerlen.[/size]
You can read about my tubes from this thread, they all are mentioned here more or less.
And I don`t get it... how it`s hard to get tubes from UK? I get most of my tubes from eBay.UK and cheaply, even when including posting cost to Estonia.

You are correct, it's [size=medium]Δ[/size] not 4.

I have should wrote it more clear, actually it's only when I'm trying to buy tube from non-EU sellers. I usually have no problem buying tube from European sellers, shipment are usually cheap. However, USPS always make me wait for a month (slow shipping + stuck at custom) before it arrives at door step. :) 

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2,049 of 8,309
However, it's quite hard for me to get some tubes in UK. My Amperex 7308 Gold Pin ($85) cost me $50 for the shipment alone. Plus got tax for another £30. My last two tubes are still in the custom too.

You can try some of the tubes from quartz acoustic? They are from Singapore and cost S$3 for each tube shipping worldwide only..

I am from Singapore so I can't tell how's the speed for the overseas shipping though.. Maybe if someone here overseas had bought from them before and share their waiting time from them?

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #2,050 of 8,309
T1+ Ultrasone is a real good idea... T1 will tames a bit pro900 trebles and bring a bit forwardness in the mids :wink: .. i had an E17 before my T1...   

I just came across this thread while researching on the Audio GD NFB-11. 32. I would really like to check these two dac/amps in person. Has anyone seen these at any shops in Hong Kong?

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2,051 of 8,309
Quote:

Quote:
Interesting. What's your setup?
The warmest and most "analog" tubes I'm aware of are Mullard tubes made in the UK. These tend to have a bit more rolled off highs and sometimes "tubby" bass but it might be more of what you're looking for. Amperex are the next in line beyond that. 

Thank you both for your recommendations :)
-AudioFrog

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,052 of 8,309
LOL, I forgot about some tubes... it`s 11 tubes incoming any moment not 6 :D
They are:

2x Brimar PCC189 (Mullard)
Sovtek 6922 98 goldpin
Sovtek 6922 04
Miniwatt Dario ECC189
2x Tungsram PCC88 (different)
2x Tesla PCC88 (different)
Siemens PCC189
Siemens PCC88