Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,922 of 8,309
Quote:
Well guys, it appears I have a rather serious problem on my hands. This is on the fourth day of operation. My unit has started to sound extremely distorted, the audio is barely discernible. There's no clues as to why on the case, the tube appears to light up as it should, but I've tried unplugging it and vice versa, but to no avail. I haven't opened it up and have no desire to, because it may void a warranty, so I'll have to send it back and hopefully get a replacement. Bit of a pain in the bottom, because it was from Hong Kong, but it has to be done. I'll have to revert to my laptop's onboard audio for now.

Sounds like tube gone bad. Try another tube and you get the answer. If problem stays, ask for replacement unit.

May 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,923 of 8,309
Quote:
1. the tube buffer is only tied to the dac. using the amp by itself bypasses the tube. you have to use the dac via usb.
2. http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
3. Hunting around is usually the best way to score something for a good price.
4. It's legit, the 6922 is a current production tube made by electro harmix. it's a decent tube to have.
5. no. listing is by eh. those are by genalex

Thanks man. 
So you're saying this is not a tube headphone amp?  Just a normal one with a tube dac?  That seems odd, but whatever. 

Also, the tubes- Which ones, are, theoretically, the best? 
Reading this thread it appears the e88cc is the best, but apparently there are lots of different types of that.  Confusing.  Also, I'm sure there's a lot of personal preference going on.
However, I've heard by a few places now that the genalex ones are better for this amp.  Does anyone sell this unit with those tubes already standard?

May 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,924 of 8,309
Quick question, which are better, the rocked logo 6N23Ps, or the Electro Harmonix 6922s? I'm not too sure if either the latter was a derivative/evolution of the former or not. The 6N23P appear to be quite good value round here and I could migrate to those if I can't send the 6922 back.

For now I will have to use the Aune solely as a headphone amp, I have a cheap Behringer interface that I can use in the meantime.

May 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,925 of 8,309
6N23P rocket logo (without CCCP star logo) should be better but depends on taste. 6N23P is more foward sounding tube but 6922EH is with big airy soundstage that is great for electronic atmospheric music.

Magirush, you should google more and read yourself. E88CC tube type marking alone does not mean anything. There are lot of tube types that fit for Aune T1 and in the "high end" segment it all comes down to little differences and personal preferences. You just can`t say that E88CC is the best.
This thread has A LOT of information about great tubes with Aune T1, just start reading.

May 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,927 of 8,309
so it seems like the MULLARD ECC88 / 6DJ8 A-frame tubes get lots of love for this tube usb dac. is that correct? i'm thinking of getting them. right now there's a pair for $73 and wanted to ask if it was a good price for a pair of them. getting my aune t1 from massdrop so i have plenty of time to decide from upgrading the 6922 tube it'll come with.

May 28, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,928 of 8,309
I would say that Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 A-frame orange globe is most recommended tube for Aune T1 due to smoothed highs.
Mullard ECC88 is good tube but imho Amperex orange is definitely better. Great cheaper substitute to Mullard ECC88 is Philips PCC189 (Heerlen) that I have talked lot about in this thread. Some Aune T1 owners bought them and found them good. I have both, Mullard ECC88 (Heerlen not blackburn) and Philips PCC189 (Heerlen) and I find Philips PCC189 even littlebit better. But both will be great upgrades from 6922EH. If you listen electronic music, I recommend you to stay with 6922EH.

May 28, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,929 of 8,309
I got mine and sounds great for acoustics, indy rock songs but.... Anyone got advice on how to EQ this device on osx? 

I normally used sound flower and au labs but doing the same setup with the aune doesn't work. I managed to get something to work by making a aggregate device in apple midi settings with sound flower but for some reason after about 10 mins of play weird noises happen and then sound output stops. 

Any advice?

Willing to give a couple more things a go but might have to swap this over for something else with hardware bass boost (E17?). I need to pump the bass up on certain genres of music (dubstep, electronic).

May 28, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #1,930 of 8,309
I didn't receive my Aune T1 yet but I was wondering if I could have some questions answered:

1. The Line/USB switch on the top, will flipping it to Line turn off the power to the tube, since it is only using the amp? I assume it doesn't
2. Does turning the knob on the top of the Aune T1 to the lowest allow you to click and turn off or do I physically have to always flip the switch on the back to turn it off?

Just trying to figure out a solution before I receive them.

I currently use a Creative X-Fi Card and FiiO E7/E9 combo.

Current setup:

USB-In on FiiO E9 is not plugged into my computer
Creative X-Fi 3.5mm cable -> Line In on FiiO E9 -> Pre-Out on FiiO -> Speakers

And when I use headphones I just plug them into the FiiO E9 1/4in output jack in the front and make adjustments to the volume via the knob on the front of the FiiO E9.

Prospective setup:

I would like to run the computer speakers 24/7, so if it is not possible to only run the amp part of the Aune T1 with the tube off this is what I'm thinking:

Creative X-Fi -> Computer Speakers
USB DAC plugged in on Aune T1 -> Headphones

And switch on and off the Aune T1 when using headphones or not.

If any of the my setup is incorrect please point it out to me, this is a learning experience for me. Thanks

May 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,931 of 8,309
I didn't receive my Aune T1 yet but I was wondering if I could have some questions answered:

1. The Line/USB switch on the top, will flipping it to Line turn off the power to the tube, since it is only using the amp? I assume it doesn't
2. Does turning the knob on the top of the Aune T1 to the lowest allow you to click and turn off or do I physically have to always flip the switch on the back to turn it off?

Just trying to figure out a solution before I receive them.

I currently use a Creative X-Fi Card and FiiO E7/E9 combo.

Current setup:

USB-In on FiiO E9 is not plugged into my computer
Creative X-Fi 3.5mm cable -> Line In on FiiO E9 -> Pre-Out on FiiO -> Speakers

And when I use headphones I just plug them into the FiiO E9 1/4in output jack in the front and make adjustments to the volume via the knob on the front of the FiiO E9.

Prospective setup:

I would like to run the computer speakers 24/7, so if it is not possible to only run the amp part of the Aune T1 with the tube off this is what I'm thinking:

Creative X-Fi -> Computer Speakers
USB DAC plugged in on Aune T1 -> Headphones

And switch on and off the Aune T1 when using headphones or not.

If any of the my setup is incorrect please point it out to me, this is a learning experience for me. Thanks

The only way to turn off the tube is to power off the unit. That setup is fine and will work, the only hassle that I see is switching from speakers to headphones and back isn't just as simple as powering the unit on, Assuming Windows is the OS. You'll also need to set it to be the default device every time. It's not hard to do but it is a hassle and PITA to do because you'll need to drill into it.

One question tho, why not just run the tube on 24/7 as well? If you have active speakers, you can run it via the line out of the T1. The tube is only used as a driver and not as a power tube, drivers last a good while since they won't be handling large loads of power. Find a tube that you like and just stock up 3 or 4 as back up and you'll probably tire of the amp before you run out of tubes. Just my .02 cents.

May 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,932 of 8,309
Quote:
 I need to pump the bass up on certain genres of music (dubstep, electronic).

Get another tube! Tungsram PCC88 would be my recommendation. Same soundstage, air & brightness as 6922EH but noticeably better bass with better kick & tightness. And it`s not too tight bass that would "eat up" the good bass smoothness & flow that is needed in dubstep/electronic. 

May 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,933 of 8,309
Quote:
I would say that Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 A-frame orange globe is most recommended tube for Aune T1 due to smoothed highs.
Mullard ECC88 is good tube but imho Amperex orange is definitely better. Great cheaper substitute to Mullard ECC88 is Philips PCC189 (Heerlen) that I have talked lot about in this thread. Some Aune T1 owners bought them and found them good. I have both, Mullard ECC88 (Heerlen not blackburn) and Philips PCC189 (Heerlen) and I find Philips PCC189 even littlebit better. But both will be great upgrades from 6922EH. If you listen electronic music, I recommend you to stay with 6922EH.

thanks. what would you say is a good price on ebay to get the amperex orange or philips pcc189 for? the philips pcc189 seems to have sellers from italy... and they don't have the top rated plus icon (paranoid about buying from ebay without that). right now i see 4 pairs of the 1970 amperex orange for $105.50. that seem to be a good price?

May 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,935 of 8,309
Great deal! Inside EU, for example to Estonia, shipping included - only 119€ ! O_o
I paid ~162€ for it from UK ebay if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back