Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #1,906 of 8,309
Quote:
Yeah, 6922EH is great tube for electronic music imho. Makes it more "airy". Still one of my favs for electronic but it`s my personal preference. 3 other great tubes for electronic atmospheric music I recommend: JAN Sylvania 6922 (littlebit better mids & tighter bass than 6922EH but somewhat tinier soundstage) , Tungsram PCC88 (tighter & punchier bass than 6922EH), Mazda PCC189 (lacks littlebit @ mids) & Ultron PCC189 white label (not so airy soundstage as 6922EH but great transparent sound).

Btw, it`s kinda weird that your Amperex has same highs that 6922EH does. Amperex orange should be noticeably warmer @ highs. Not sure but maybe those cans won`t react so well to tube changing and aren`t so good match with Aune T1. One more thing - is your audio source set up correctly? ASIO, WASAPI or KSP? And just in case - are you using USB audio source? Because tube buffer is being used ONLY when USB input is chosen.

Quote:
yeah, I find that weird as well. Orange globe doesn't tame all of the highs but it does make it a whole lot more bearable than the 6922eh . It made me second guess selling the 990s which is huge because I wanted to sell it the same day I got it.

I definitely prefer the Amperex over the 6922, it does sound warmer in general, I just didn't notice that much difference in the highs. It felt more like because the 6922 is arier it made the highs sound brighter while the Amperex evened things up. Sorry I'm new to this though, so my ears probably aren't 'trained' 
confused_face(1).gif
 Could also likely be the MP3s I have or the music—I will do more listening!

Hmmm I'm on the Mac and in sound preference the T1 is selected. The switch on the T1 is also switched to USB, not Line.

May 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,910 of 8,309
My unit arrived today, works as it should. Nice beefy PSU. I ordered it with the 6922 tube, which is listed as the 'Upgrade' version on Shenzhen Audio's website. Interestingly, Linux seems to detect as not only an output but also an input device, I wonder if its just being optimistic or if it can actually record from the analogue input. Anyway, very happy with the sound as it is.

http://i.imgur.com/BLJAKgI.jpg

May 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,911 of 8,309
Double post by you. Btw, have you set up your linux correctly? I started using Aune T1 first with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and though it sounded great without setting anything, it got way better when setting up ALSA correctly. It`s littlebit hassle (as always with linux) but it`s worth it. Only bad thing was that after reboot I had to set it up again. Got tired of this and moved back to Windows 7.

Here is something I wrote @ Rockgrotto forum: 

Naaah, it seems that under Ubuntu it isnt so simple. Noticed, that output was set to analog and that seemed wierd. Also something had changed in sound (littlebit like mono). PulseAudio seems to cause problems. I`m using Clementine and its Gstreamer output setting must be set to ALSA. After that there should be DigiHub S/PDIF Digital out at sound settings - select it. 

Terminal: alsamixer 
ALL other sound devices and their input/output values must be 0 (F6 selects device). 

Terminal: sudo gpasswd -a yourusername audio

Terminal: killall pulseaudio

Just in case do also: sudo update-grub

After that you can play files with different quality/bitrate/sample rate without software conversions - pure Aune`s job now. 

And NOW it`s pure audio-jizz in your ears! 

Read more: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/8297/aune-bit-valve-tube-dac?page=16#ixzz2UF0YqwBy

May 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #1,912 of 8,309
Who wants good tube for electronic music - 2x JAN Sylvania 6922 on sale: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181144262875?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

I decided to bid on another tubes and someone can take over cheaply, I won`t bid anymore.
I already have one JAN Sylvania 6922.
But if I win, then I get some good tubes cheap anyway :)

E: Got this lot (4x PCC88) for only 6.45€ (post included) ! Even if only one tube is working, it`s still a steal :D

And it seems to me that there are at least 2 different Tungsram PCC88`s. 3rd from the left I already have. 4th Tungsram seems to be with different plate under getter. 1st & 2nd tube are new in my collection (although I have Yellow 32 marking Tesla, don`t know if they are same).
Will update when I receive them.

May 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,913 of 8,309
Are trades allowed here? I'm wondering if anyone in the US would be down to do a straight trade of one of my Amperex Orange Globes for a Voskhod (rocket logo) or Siemens, just a tube thats more forward sounding. My curiosity is getting the best of me, haha.

May 26, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,914 of 8,309
Seems that someone got those JAN Sylvania 6922`s for only 8.5 $ Good tubes, enjoy them! :)

May 26, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #1,915 of 8,309
Quote:
Double post by you. Btw, have you set up your linux correctly? I started using Aune T1 first with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and though it sounded great without setting anything, it got way better when setting up ALSA correctly. It`s littlebit hassle (as always with linux) but it`s worth it. Only bad thing was that after reboot I had to set it up again. Got tired of this and moved back to Windows 7.

Nah, I'm on openSUSE using the default ALSA system, no Pulseaudio here. The only change I had to make was to bump the volume up a bit. Its listed as PCM for playback here, DigiHug USB Audio.

May 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,917 of 8,309
Got myself another tube for only 5.5€ - Valvo (old logo) PCC88 :) I know I promised to end my tube hoarding... but... you know... that black-money-sucking-box is curse! :D

If I receive those 5x PCC88`s then my tube collection has 27 tubes (23 of them are different from eachother) O_o 

May 27, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #1,918 of 8,309
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this question needs to be moved to a new thread. If so, let me know.
I'm fairly new to the world of good audio, and my current setup involves either playing tracks directly through a cdj 2000 cd player and into a djm 2000 mixer's headphone amp which I plug my hd555s into, or USB to the cdj and using that as a dac then analogue into the mixer.
If that sounds a bit silly, you wouldn't believe that pioneer puts some really high quality circuitry into their dj gear. The thing is, though, that the dj gear belongs to a friend of mine and I mostly just use it for the sound. I will probably not always have access to that kit, and I'd like to get a decent dac/amp combo.

This seems to be a good fit, but I have a few questions. (Real sorry if these have been discussed in detail, it's all rather overwhelming.)
1. Are the tubes in this box related to the dac in any way, or just the amp?
2. Is there a difference between e88cc and 6922?
3. Those seem to be the best regarded tubes, so is there a way to purchase this product with those tubes already standard, or do I just buy it then hunt around for tubes?
4. There's an eBay listing from china for this amp with 6922 tubes. Is that a good idea, or are the tubes just knockoffs?
5. Additionally, are those tubes from the eBay listing the same as this? http://tubedepot.com/gl-e88cc.html

Thanks very much, sorry if these are silly questions.

May 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,919 of 8,309
1. the tube buffer is only tied to the dac. using the amp by itself bypasses the tube. you have to use the dac via usb.
2. http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
3. Hunting around is usually the best way to score something for a good price.
4. It's legit, the 6922 is a current production tube made by electro harmix. it's a decent tube to have.
5. no. listing is by eh. those are by genalex

May 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,920 of 8,309
Well guys, it appears I have a rather serious problem on my hands. This is on the fourth day of operation. My unit has started to sound extremely distorted, the audio is barely discernible. There's no clues as to why on the case, the tube appears to light up as it should, but I've tried unplugging it and vice versa, but to no avail. I haven't opened it up and have no desire to, because it may void a warranty, so I'll have to send it back and hopefully get a replacement. Bit of a pain in the bottom, because it was from Hong Kong, but it has to be done. I'll have to revert to my laptop's onboard audio for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back