Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,891 of 8,309
If you want really warm & intimate foward sounding tube I would recommend Mullard PCC189 (warning, there are many different of them, at least 3). 6N23P reflector is also good intimate & foward but I find it littlebit "through the blanket" sounding. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I recently picked up this tube which is supposedly a ge but manufactured by Mullard.http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=400468021931&cmd=VIDESC I'm not sure if it's the same as the one you mentioned but it does sound a little "through the blanket" I just find that's its not as clear in vocals compared to the orange globe or bugle boy, but it still has a warm sound.

I think I'm probably going to send up purchasing a voskhod sometime soon. Hope that's my last tube

May 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,892 of 8,309
Quote:
Thinking about headphone upgrade. What do you think would be ideal with T1? 32, 250 or 600ohm?

Any of those can work just fine! I would not use the T1 with the LCD2 but if you go for Grado (or my favorite, the Symphones Magnum X) then you will be in great shape. HD800 and HD650 are fine, DT880 and 990 are fine. AKG K702 is good. Just depends on your preference!

May 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,893 of 8,309
Soon I will hopefully get a chance to try DT-990 Edition (I think it was 250Ohm) with Aune T1.

May 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,894 of 8,309
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I recently picked up this tube which is supposedly a ge but manufactured by Mullard.http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=400468021931&cmd=VIDESC I'm not sure if it's the same as the one you mentioned but it does sound a little "through the blanket"

My Tube has large O-ring getter and metal center vertical plate. Factory code is BAK2. I don`t remember what color logo it had because I "washed" it off :D I think descriprion is somewhere in this thread but if I remember correctly it had yellow old style Mullard logo.
What is your GE factory code? I`m pretty sure we don`t have same tubes. Also my tube is PCC189 and yours ECC189. And my Mullard doesn`t have "through the blanket" sound like my 6N23P reflector.

May 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,895 of 8,309
I hope this is not too vague a question:

So I finally got a working T1 which works without hassle and currently using it with an Amperex 6DJ8 and Beyer 990 250 Ohm.

Listening to electronic music (dance and ambient/atmospheric) and I notice the highs are really high.

Is there a tube that can help tame the highs?

May 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,896 of 8,309
Hmmm, is your Amperex 6DJ8 Orange globe? With orange it should be already tamed enough. But if it`s orange I would change tube anyway for electronic music because of soundstage. Maybe your amperex is too "in your face" for that and highs won`t "roll away into air". 
Stock 6922EH tube is also too bright? If you could wait 1 week then I could say exact opinion about DT-990.

May 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #1,898 of 8,309
Then it must be cans probably. You could try Ultron PCC189 too but it wouldn`t make much difference I think. Have you tried different gain settings? No change towards tamed highs?

May 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,900 of 8,309
Quote:
Stock 6922EH tube is also too bright? If you could wait 1 week then I could say exact opinion about DT-990.

BTW I also tried it with the 6922EH. The highs are the same except 6922EH seems to have an airier soundstage making the music I was listening to sound 'thin.' I think you might've mentioned that the 6922EH is better for atmospheric music (?), which I'd agree with.

May 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,902 of 8,309
Quote:

BTW I also tried it with the 6922EH. The highs are the same except 6922EH seems to have an airier soundstage making the music I was listening to sound 'thin.' I think you might've mentioned that the 6922EH is better for atmospheric music (?), which I'd agree with.

Yeah, 6922EH is great tube for electronic music imho. Makes it more "airy". Still one of my favs for electronic but it`s my personal preference. 3 other great tubes for electronic atmospheric music I recommend: JAN Sylvania 6922 (littlebit better mids & tighter bass than 6922EH but somewhat tinier soundstage) , Tungsram PCC88 (tighter & punchier bass than 6922EH), Mazda PCC189 (lacks littlebit @ mids) & Ultron PCC189 white label (not so airy soundstage as 6922EH but great transparent sound).

Btw, it`s kinda weird that your Amperex has same highs that 6922EH does. Amperex orange should be noticeably warmer @ highs. Not sure but maybe those cans won`t react so well to tube changing and aren`t so good match with Aune T1. One more thing - is your audio source set up correctly? ASIO, WASAPI or KSP? And just in case - are you using USB audio source? Because tube buffer is being used ONLY when USB input is chosen.

May 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,903 of 8,309
Looking at getting a DAC/Amp combo and the Aune T1 is on my list.

My headphones are PSB M4U1's and believe they will benefit from a amp. Tried a small 'Hippo' amp and with the bass boost on the headphones have the extra bass I was after. Quality was about the same as only playing a 256 mp3 from my iphone, but as I generally use my iMac with Flac (atm using Vox player) so I was also after a DAC. So far I have tried software eq but result are nowhere near the hardware bass boost sound from the 'Hippo' and sometimes my headphones even get distorted (and yes I know how to eq).

So my question is it able to get the Aune T1 pumping the extra bass as well as all the other benefits (tube swap?) or will I have to rely on also software eq? Will the use of a DAC/Amp improve the sound quality of the software eq? Or am I better off going with something like the Fiio E17 for the hardware eq'ing of bass.

Let me know what you think or your suggestions?

PS: Love the look of the Aune T1 so really hope it will fit my needs.

EDIT: Setup to use apple AU Labs & Soundflower and EQ is about 100 times better! So this is looking more and more like a good option.

May 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,904 of 8,309
Btw, it`s kinda weird that your Amperex has same highs that 6922EH does. Amperex orange should be noticeably warmer @ highs. Not sure but maybe those cans won`t react so well to tube changing and aren`t so good match with Aune T1. One more thing - is your audio source set up correctly? ASIO, WASAPI or KSP? And just in case - are you using USB audio source? Because tube buffer is being used ONLY when USB input is chosen.

yeah, I find that weird as well. Orange globe doesn't tame all of the highs but it does make it a whole lot more bearable than the 6922eh . It made me second guess selling the 990s which is huge because I wanted to sell it the same day I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back