Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,877 of 8,309
Quote:
The problem with a tube amp is... more tube rolling.
biggrin.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 
eek.gif

wink.gif

May 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,878 of 8,309
This little T1 is really a special piece of gear 
L3000.gif

+1, definitely. I got some Telefunken PCC189 for my dark/warm hps and my amperex orange globes for my bright cans. I'm alll set. Just curiosity is making me think about getting an amperex 7308. I'd rather spend that money toward rolling 6SN7s now that I'm satisfied with rolling 6as7s. Too many tubes to roll. :\

May 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,879 of 8,309
I fixed my tube rolling addiction with a E188CC ( equivalent to 7308 )  NOS from early 60s .  I have one a bit more modern ( early seventies ) . Both sound perfectly transparent and .. "right" .. just right and refined with great transparency.  That's said , I keep my other tubes  ( E88CC Mullard , Orange Label PQ 6922 Amperex , 6N27p and 6N23P-EB NOS Russian tubes)  in the case I would change my T1 for another amp like Indeed G3 or sunrise project for example. 

But we've said "no more blablabla about tubes" haven't we ? :wink:

May 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,880 of 8,309
Just picked up the HD 600 and the last thing I want to do is warm these things up anymore than they already are. It sounds like the Mangi/Modi is going to push it in the right direction for me over the T1.

May 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,881 of 8,309
Just picked up the HD 600 and the last thing I want to do is warm these things up anymore than they already are. It sounds like the Mangi/Modi is going to push it in the right direction for me over the T1.

Not neccessarily. There are bright tubes as well. And the amp portion is bright as well. I have the HD600 and rather like it with the right tubes. I still prefer the 880s tho.

May 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,882 of 8,309
roguegeek, Tesla PCC88 (yellow label, 32 marking, made in Czech) is one of the brighter tubes I would recommend you to try. It`s good tube but littlebit too bright with HD-681 mkII for me. Although, sound great with classical music with this setup.
I already recommended it to someone from this thread with "dark-sided & warm" cans.
Btw, what tube are you using atm? Philips PCC189 & Lorenz PCC189 are also littlebit brighter choices than Amperex orange.
Mazda PCC189 & Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 are unfortunately too hard to find to try for you. 

May 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,883 of 8,309
Quote:

+1

I recently purchased a HD580 and it sounds very very good with my T1. I have a K501 too and it seems the combo is not perfect to my ears. The point is all the interest of Aune T1 is the DAC/Tube stage. And tube is uncluded when we use Line out! So, using T1's LO with an additionnal amp is IMO a very good way to upgrade T1's ability to match with all the most power demanding headphones :) 

In conclusion, you can definitely go for T1 for your hD650 .

gotcha. so that means that the tube and dac work together and i can add an amp for more power later?
 sorry if my understanding is minimal. I am eager to learn though. It seems pretty simple.

May 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,886 of 8,309
Ok, one more little update. This time about Ultron PCC189`s. White label has tinybit brighter highs, tinybit less tight bass & kick and soundstage goes tinybit further from back of your head than gold label - thus making it tinybit better overall tube for every genre than gold label Ultron. Gold label is still better for rock/metal/progressive/jazz imho. Once again I have to point out that differences are very small but they are there.
Btw, I`m changing my opinion about Sylvania 6922 having also burned it more and compared it against 6922EH again. Sylvania has great air in it`s sound but the soundstage is littlebit more narrow at the front of soundstage (I don`t really know how to say it), making 6922EH littlebit better for atmospheric electronic music. Sylvania has slightly better mids and tighter bass but soundstage/separation/transparency comes first for me when it comes to electronic atmospheric music. 
But I also threw in white Ultron PCC189 few times in between and I have to say - white label Ultron PCC189 just has that sweet spot @ soundstage, air, tightness, separation, transparency etc. that it makes it the best overall tube for every music genre, at least from my tube collection. It`s so musical and sounds just great with everything I throw at it. Sometimes I even think It`s also better for electronic music than 6922EH because it has so good transparency. Once again I have to "hype" littlebit about Ultron PCC189 - awesome cheap tube I definitely recommend to get, especially for those who listen very different genres of music and don`t want to get into tube rolling sickness.

May 23, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,887 of 8,309
Where can I purchase an ultron PCC189? I'm also curious to try the voskhod rocket logo...

Right now i'm using an amperex orange globe w.germany and it sounds great, but i'm wanting something thats a little more forward. I've already gone through 3 other tubes as well. This is kinda getting out of hand, haha.

May 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #1,888 of 8,309
If you are in EU, then best place would probably be Uraltone. In US it`s quite hard to get unfortunately but someone in here bought many of them but I think he already sold some and won`t sell anymore. Voskhod rocket (I doubt it makes so much difference with reflector logo) and JJ E88CC would be the tubes I`m still curious about but I have too many tubes already and I`m really happy with Ultron PCC189`s (2 white + 2 gold label) & Oranges (2x A-Frames + 1 GAC) & 2x Miniwatt-Dario PCC189`s :D 

I`m maybe starting to think about sell some of my tubes: 2x Lorenz PCC189, 1x Philips PCC189, 1x Mullard ECC88, 1x Mullard PCC189, 1x 6N23P (reflector), 1x Brimar ECC88, 1x Tesla PCC88, 1x Mazda PCC189. But it`s quite lovely collection and it`s fun to try with others cans :p

May 23, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,889 of 8,309
Quote:
Right now i'm using an amperex orange globe w.germany and it sounds great, but i'm wanting something thats a little more forward. 

If you want something more foward-type, then Ultron PCC189 isn`t for you probably. If you want really warm & intimate foward sounding tube I would recommend Mullard PCC189 (warning, there are many different of them, at least 3). 6N23P reflector is also good intimate & foward but I find it littlebit "through the blanket" sounding. 

May 23, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #1,890 of 8,309
Quote:
Right now i'm using an amperex orange globe w.germany and it sounds great, but i'm wanting something thats a little more forward.

Siemens 7DJ8 and Voshkod rocket. Siemens is better, but also more expensive and harder to get. From rockets I can only vouch for the one without CCCP logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back